• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbi Help correct lights ?

critch

Hello Peeps,

I am fairly new to all this, So here is as much as I know..

My Tank is a 90ltr. With JBL Aqua basis, covered in fineish whiteish Gravel, :lol: No co2, weekly fert Tetra Plantamin, sorry that's all my local shop has.

I have blue leds which come on at 7-8 & 20-22 then the main lights are two aqua glo 20 watt T8 bulbs, which are on 8-12 & 16-20, total of 8 hrs.. are these bulbs enough or is this classed as very low light I am thinking of changing to Power Glo Bulbs :clap: the max power I can have is 20w due to the ballast and 24 inch as the 30 inch is the same size as the tank and will not fit in the hood.

Now I have had some success in growing plants & have split some of my plants the long ones java or Amazon sword not sure, but I am sure I can do much better.. the current tank has been running for 5 months which I have had a problem with Hair Algae, due to the phosphates in my local area, the water is very soft around 2.100 Clarke and 1.68 dh, I seem to have this under control for the last 3 months or so, the tank has slowly grown and grown from a 40 litre...

Now this is my tank as it stands, I am looking at moving the wood and java moss on the left and planting a bit more to make it look a little more natural .. but my main question is about the lights

Mmmm now how to add a pic

critch said:
...the current tank has been running for 5 months which I have had a problem with Hair Algae, due to the phosphates in my local area, the water is very soft around 2.100 Clarke and 1.68 dh, I seem to have this under control for the last 3 months or so, the tank has slowly grown and grown from a 40 litre...
Hi,
Phosphates and Hair algae are not related. Hair algae is a CO2 related algae. Hair algae also doesn't care whether your water is hard or soft. If you are getting hair algae in a tank that is not supplemented with CO2 then this indicates your lighting may be a bit on the high side.

critch said:
Mmmm now how to add a pic
Pictures have to be added to a third party website like photobuckets, then you can link to to it pasting the URL , highlighting it and then clicking the "Img" button.

Cheers,

Sorry the water hardness was because my local water authority has very very soft water, this strips the lead out of the water pipes to counteract this they load the water with phosphates, to increase the hardness soit does not strip the lead into the water..

ohhh so i have been very miss informed,i was told it was the the phosphates nitrates & other things fighting for the goodness that caused it,ie bad water balance in the tank... i did have the lights on for about 14 hrs a day at one point with two 14w power glo 15 inch bulbs, and the hair algae was always in the middle of the tank, thought cos they were such low power i would not have a problem,and was told it was the water, nothing to do with the lights,,, but i have since put longer 20w aquas and cut the light time, and this has reduced the algae dont get any now.

.i was just wondering if they was enough for good growth shall i stay as i am and see how it goes ???

Hi,
The effect of increased lighting is to accelerate growth rates. As long as you provide the minimum amount of light required (which is actually quite low) then it's CO2 that grows plants. Algal blooms occur as a direct result of poor plant health, not because of "baddies" in water.

Here is a snapshot of a tank which has been dosed with extremely high levels of phosphates and nitrates. It's completely algae free and the result of all these baddies is excellent plant health.
2387308170038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

Cheers,

Back