• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to UKAPS, first nano-scape

Reayman

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this but I've been trying to follow some of the aquascaping threads for ideas on a nano-scape.

I'm using Seachem Fluorite Black Sand, Ohko Stone and a mix of Crypts & Anubias as Flora. I did have some Starogyne repens and umbrosum I managed to salvage from snail attacks, not sure how well they'll do here.

This will be an RCS tank, I will be dosing Seachem Comprehensive along with Excel rather than CO2, also using API root tabs for the crypts.

This is my first real attempt so go easy, but any suggestions would be ace.

Cheers
IMG_4622.JPG
IMG_4624.JPG

Welcome!

The hardscape is nice! For starters I would only say you need some more plants... some floaters are also advisable :)

I have a lot of questions for you... lol
  1. (Not a question) Seachem Flourish Comprehensive only provides micro-nutrients & trace elements... you also need Macro nutrients. I made the same mistake not too long ago. I was advised to use dry salts and start with this http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/ei-starter-kit.html
  2. How long has the tank been set up for?
  3. No filter?
  4. No heater?
  5. Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle?
  6. Are you doing water changes?

Sorry guys- this is the aquanano 40 by aquaone, I'd strongly suggest considering it for nano's if you've not seen.
The heater, power head and filter are all being that screen and hidden away.

There is masses of space for filter media which I have filled with a sponge and some well matured biogravel I put in knotted pairs of tights for access. There is also a ceramic media cartridge and an activated carbon cartridge.

I think I'll be taking the carbon out shortly since it will have served it's purpose.

This nano has been up and running forabout 8 months, but with added filter media from a tank I've had going since I was 17, cycling not an issue.

Water changes normally once a week but just to clear this up in the water column probes twice. You can see also running a juwel lido with same substrate- it was incredibly dusting even after a through rinsing so I know better this time.

Any good floating plants ok with just 32 LED's?

Sorry guys- this is the aquanano 40 by aquaone, I'd strongly suggest considering it for nano's if you've not seen.
This youtube video shows it in a bit of detail... awesome! Everything is hidden behind the tank!

from a tank I've had going since I was 17
Oh, ok... so you probably have at least 8 more years of experience than me! :lol:

Any good floating plants ok with just 32 LED's?
I think you don't need to worry about lighting with most floating plants if you already have aquatic plants in the tank... after all, they will be the closest ones to the light. The only thing you need to be aware of is that if you have too many in the tank, the other plants may not get enough light. Duckweed, (Dwarf) Water Lettuce, and Frogbit are some of the floaters I've seen being recommended to beginners like me :)

That's a really nice hardscape :thumbup:

If anything, I'd be tempted to add more carpeting plants that may or may not do well with the excel, such as dwarf hairgrass, MC etc; then maybe think about plants that will add some height to the scape imo :)

Back