• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank

Arizzl

Just finished setting up my new planted tank yesterday, i was wondering how to start the nitrogen cycle. So i put some used media from my established tank and i also put fish food in a teabag to get some ammonia going. Do you think the teabag will be fine? Its a fishless cycle

Hi all,
So i put some used media from my established tank and i also put fish food in a teabag to get some ammonia going. Do you think the teabag will be fine? Its a fishless cycle
You just need the media from an established tank and then plant the tank, once the <"plants have grown in"> the <"tank is fish safe">.

If you want to add a very small amount of ammonia? It won't do any harm, but <"probably won't make any difference">. We know a lot more about the microbes that actually occur in Aquarium filters, and none of the things <"that we thought were important"> are actually that important.

Have a look at <"Dr Timothy Hovanec's comments about Bacterial supplements">.

<"Cycling"> doesn't really exist and there is a thread that discusses this, with one of the leading scientists in the field <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">. This is what Dr Newton said:

........ If you do need to add nitrifiers the best source is from an aquaponics or aquaculture system that is already running and removing ammonia. Some water or sediment/soil or part of the biobilter (if there is one) is an excellent starter. Without this source as an inoculum then you could add some roots from plants from any other tank that is running - these are likely to have nitrifiers associated with them. A small clipping put into the tank would be enough.....

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

You just need the media from an established tank and then plant the tank, once the <"plants have grown in"> the <"tank is fish safe">.

If you want to add a very small amount of ammonia? It won't do any harm, but <"probably won't make any difference">. We know a lot more about the microbes that actually occur in Aquarium filters, and none of the things <"that we thought were important"> are actually that important.

Have a look at <"Dr Timothy Hovanec's comments about Bacterial supplements">.

<"Cycling"> doesn't really exist and there is a thread that discusses this, with one of the leading scientists in the field <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">. This is what Dr Newton said:

cheers Darrel
I used a mix of new media and established media soo hopefully that should be enough. Thank you!

Back