• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank startup question

UV filters do not harm plants.
Of course, I fully understand. It's just I'm a low-tech guy, so I've got no lamp, neither filters. By microbe-killers I meant rather some chemicals. Still, I avoided even that.
the moment you dosed your traces, which are usually consumed by plants quite rapidly.
Do you have any particular arguments to support this assessment? I'm not suggesting otherwise, it's just I don't know and would like to know better.

Do you have any particular arguments to support this assessment?
I made a quick shortcut on that one. What I meant is that micros highest uptake takes place at the beginning of the photosynthesis where demand is high. Since these are traces and we usually dose daily, using a UV filter further away in the day would not impact much if at all the plants since they would have already absorbed a fair amount of traces.
But let's ask our boss @dw1305 for actual scientific facts since that's what everyone likes here.

Hi all,
What I meant is that micros highest uptake takes place at the beginning of the photosynthesis where demand is high. Since these are traces and we usually dose daily, using a UV filter further away in the day would not impact much if at all the plants since they would have already absorbed a fair amount of traces.
But let's ask our boss @dw1305 for actual scientific facts since that's what everyone likes here.
Personally I love a fact. The short answer is I don't know, so I'll see what I can find. We have got a thread on <"active and passive uptake">, where I also didn't know.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for everyone’s input on this.

Pleased to say I’m now at day 6, cloudiness has cleared whilst keeping up with daily water changes.

New growth all over the place and no sign of any algae starting to develop.

I’m also dosing to EI levels daily, but then obviously pulling half of that back out with the 50% water change - seems to be working anyway!

Attachments

• D1C73977-5393-402A-B9DA-01FC225D6CED.jpeg
    D1C73977-5393-402A-B9DA-01FC225D6CED.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 76
Back