• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

webbie

Thanks for letting me join this great site ,kept aquariums for around 60 years now (shows my age ) Everything from coral reef tanks to african cichlid tanks ,but never really gone down the planted route, to this aim I am setting up a small 60 ltr cube planted ,never done co2 injection in my life,and don't really want to go down this route now ,so hopefully setting up a low tech tank ,looking to dose ferts and ,seachem Flourish was my 1st thought plus seachem excel ,would these 2 products be adequate or any other similar products i could explore ,looking forward to hearing any tips on keeping a small nano planted set up 😊

Welcome 🙂

I think I’m right in mentioning that Seachem Flourish only contains micro nutrients. It doesn’t contain much in the way of N or P, which are essential. So its marketing blurb is somewhat misleading, it isn’t really comprehensive. It’s also around twice the price of other ready mixed fertz.

Take a look at TNC Complete and consider this as a more suitable alternative. TNC also do a cheaper version of Excel, TNC Carbon. But neither are really a substitute for injecting CO2 and will work out more expensive than a pressurised system in the long run.

Liquid carbon is really only effective as an algicide, despite what you may have read or been told elsewhere. And even then it’s perhaps unnecessary in a well balanced tank and given that hydrogen peroxide does a similar job and is far cheaper still.

For more info check out the tutorials and articles section.

Thank you looks just the site to help me set up a planted nano tank after over 50 years of keeping tropical tanks ,ranging from reef tanks to african cichlid tanks ,I am now embarking on my 1st planted aquarium ,albeit only small (60 ltrs ) ,so any advice and tips will be welcome

I will have a look at the TNC products ,i,m not keen on going down the co2 route ,I spend some time away from home and only have a neighbour who can come in and feed the fish and thats about the limit of their aquarium skills

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS.

Some things are <"the same with planted tanks"> as with other types of aquarium, but somethings are different.

One of the things that is different is that planted tanks are never cycled in the way a <"Mbuna aquarium would be">. This is mainly because plants are really efficient at taking up nutrients (<"including ammonia (NH3)">), they are <"massively net oxygen producers"> and they produce a much larger area in the substrate where nitrification can occur. Have a look at <"Seasoned Tank Time"> .
I will have a look at the TNC products, I'm not keen on going down the co2 route
Yes, you don't need CO2, many of <"us don't use it">. I like a <"floating plant in my tanks">, it doesn't really matter <"which one">, but they have access to <"atmospheric CO2"> and are never carbon limited.

In terms of fertiliser TNC Complete is fine. I'm really mean with my money so I use a <"terrestrial plant fertiliser">, the plants don't care. You just need to supply all the <"14 mineral nutrients essential for plant growth">, in <"appropriate amounts">.

cheers Darrel

Welcome.

I do not use CO₂. I just chose plants that are Easy according to Tropica.
Almost all only require low CO₂, which means that you don't have to inject CO₂.
I have no problems. I did use Dennerle Carbo Elixir BIO, which is not liquid carbon according to Dennerle, but now the tank is established (700 days) i have slowly reduced dose to zero.
My snails sort out the algae.

Hi all,
My snails sort out the algae.
I'm a snail fan as well. I have some <"tank janitors"> in all my tanks. I believe this is more common in Marine Aquariums, but some reason has never really caught on in freshwater ones. @webbie if you want some janitors I can send you a started pack once you are up and running.

cheers Darrel

And a very good starter pack it is.
Hi all,

I'm a snail fan as well. I have some <"tank janitors"> in all my tanks. I believe this is more common in Marine Aquariums, but some reason has never really caught on in freshwater ones. @webbie if you want some janitors I can send you a started pack once you are up and running.

cheers Darrel

Back