• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Decade, New Decadence...

Love following your scapes Geoffrey so inspiring so thanks for all the hard work you put in and thanks for sharing , i have a small dooa pot can i ask what is the nano lights you have on terrarium as i have seen people use on the dooa pots ?

Thanks Dean

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

i have a small dooa pot can i ask what is the nano lights you have on terrarium as i have seen people use on the dooa pots ?

1634051905978.jpeg

They are Aqualighter Pico lights @Deano3

They attach to the glass using a magnet and have a USB power connection. Not very powerful, but at the same time they’re doing the job.

Very organised!!! .......:thumbup: :clap:

It doesn’t last very long though… 😂 😂 😂

Periodic house keeping helps.

Hyptis lorentziana and Limnophila hippuridoides have successfully gone emersed:

1634582802999.jpeg

1634582834177.jpeg

1634582910240.jpeg

It’s a miracle they haven’t dried out in this house. Now considering giving the R. macrandra, L. palustris and L. arcuata a whirl growing emersed too.

1634583346466.jpeg

Would save on some trimming and be a nice change. Just wary the reason it’s not done the usual ‘crisp and dry’ is because the central heating hasn’t been on yet as it is currently mild and damp here.

Beautiful tank and plants.
Was going to ask how you stop the emersed growth going crispy but see you state it normally does. Is there an accepted method for stopping it doing so?

Beautiful tank and plants.
Was going to ask how you stop the emersed growth going crispy but see you state it normally does. Is there an accepted method for stopping it doing so?

Not really got a clear cut answer @Tim Lee

A friend has her house at pretty much the same temp and relative humidity as this place without issues growing emersed.

Have tried spraying emersed growth with RO water in a spray bottle, but the leaves become tatty and prone to mould. You can get DOOA wabi-kusa mist spray that wards this off. There’s also ultrasonic foggers that use an atomiser disc to produce mist that will cover the surface of the water. Good way to raise local humidity. How you sensibly do that in an aquarium filled to the brim though, not sure.

Thanks for the reply, have a couple of echinodorous that just shoot for the sky then go crispy after a while. Wondered if I was missing something.
Mentioned elsewhere am a marine enthusiast by experience and education so really great to have such experience on the forum so willingly shared.

Not really got a clear cut answer @Tim Lee

A friend has her house at pretty much the same temp and relative humidity as this place without issues growing emersed.

Have tried spraying emersed growth with RO water in a spray bottle, but the leaves become tatty and prone to mould. You can get DOOA wabi-kusa mist spray that wards this off. There’s also ultrasonic foggers that use an atomiser disc to produce mist that will cover the surface of the water. Good way to raise local humidity. How you sensibly do that in an aquarium filled to the brim though, not sure.
I've done it you just have to place it behind some plants to hide it and I tywraped it on a screw from a light holder. But my initial thought was to put it on a stick that could put into the soil.

Thanks for the reply, have a couple of echinodorous that just shoot for the sky then go crispy after a while. Wondered if I was missing something.

Instinct is to say it’s proximity to the lighting units that does it. However, have had echinodorus sp. growing out the water in a summer tub, getting blasted by the midday sun at the height of summer, in dry heat and do just fine. No dried leaf edges.

Difference is there’s good, continual air flow outside. Could be that it gets locally too warm near the lights without some air movement maybe. Also, being in close proximity to the light could also be driving the plant hard with effectively unlimited Co2 being emersed. Can your fert regime and soil keep up with demand? Regular root tabs underneath your swords is worth a shot if you’re not doing so already. Allows you to target them. This whole argument assumes your lights are close to the emersed leaves of your swords, when for all I know, you’ve got them suspended a couple of feet above the tank though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mentioned elsewhere am a marine enthusiast by experience and education so really great to have such experience on the forum so willingly shared.

Reverse is true too…!

Welcome any feedback/suggestions/wisdom you may have to share from the marine side 🙏🏽

I've done it you just have to place it behind some plants to hide it and I tywraped it on a screw from a light holder. But my initial thought was to put it on a stick that could put into the soil.

Considered this (putting an ultrasonic mist generator directly in the tank) but concerned about what the livestock may experience getting too close. Ideally would have it in a separate body of water, cascading down into the tank, such as in a hang on back unit. Top up the reservoir as and when. Helps if you know you want to do this upfront as you can design it in rather than trying to retrofit the solution. Green Aqua use foggers pretty well and completely hide them so it’s aesthetically pleasing.

I put a load of cuttings in a inch of tank water in washing up bowl left outside and forgotten .The Bacopa Hygro.species quickly reached top of bowl and monte carlo formed a mat. Some nice days but cold nights so suspect air flow is reason

Considered this (putting an ultrasonic mist generator directly in the tank) but concerned about what the livestock may experience getting too close. Ideally would have it in a separate body of water, cascading down into the tank, such as in a hang on back unit. Top up the reservoir as and when. Helps if you know you want to do this upfront as you can design it in rather than trying to retrofit the solution. Green Aqua use foggers pretty well and completely hide them so it’s aesthetically pleasing.

Yes I was wondering that myself but it doesn't seem to bother the fish. I only run it for a few hours a day. I hid it behind some wood/plants you only need to have some space clear above it.

Yes I was wondering that myself but it doesn't seem to bother the fish. I only run it for a few hours a day. I hid it behind some wood/plants you only need to have some space clear above it.

Got these arriving tomorrow @DeepMetropolis :

1634638358032.jpeg

1634638372599.jpeg

Will stick it in a corner behind the plants and see how it works. Livestock can’t contact the mister and may be able to customise the lid for more efficient output.

Want to get the back wall of the tank entirely emersed. However, with central heating, dehumidifiers drying washing at night etc it won’t make it without a helping hand. Got to be worth a try.

Cool box where you got it from?

From Jeff Bezos. It’s this one by Ensenlong.

Smallest suction cup style fish/shrimp hatchery that came up on a search.

(Link wouldn’t work but fixed now. Hopefully you can see it)

Thanks again for the info, not to hijack your thread but below is pic of tank. Superfish 90 with leds so (crispy) leaves are actually beyond the light!
Low tech and adding tnc 1ml a day, may well up it and add more root tabs.
10556E29-50E7-4872-959A-82A256B0EB51.jpeg

Mister and little box combo works:

1634756919442.jpeg

1634756956587.jpeg

1634756996618.jpeg

Box lid acts like a splash guard and you can focus the mist in the direction you want.

Can now let the back wall grow emersed, then prune out the front to bring out the colour and the shape again. Give the tank a new vibe.

Back