• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New and first ever planted tropical aquarium

astroman

Hi all. This is my new Juwel Trigin 190 tropical aquarium. It is my first attempt at both a tropical aquarium and using plants. The only exception to the real plants is the red plastic one which my wife insisted i put in to add some colour. If anyone out there can advise me as to a real colourful plant i would be very greatful as i really dont want a plastic on in the tank.
There are 6 Zebra Danios, 2 Congo Tetra, 2 Western Rainbows, 4 Platys and 4 silver sharks in the tank.

img0417hz.th.jpg

Go on the Tropica website, check what your setup will allow you to grow and make your choice of plant.
There are quite a few plants there with nice colours, some nymphaea looks nice in my opinion...

astroman said:
... If anyone out there can advise me as to a real colourful plant i would be very greatful as i really dont want a plastic on in the tank.
...Also, use of synthetic plants can earn you a lifetime ban on most plant websites. :thumbdown:

Please see Althernathera sp, Ludwigia glandulosa, Ammania gracillis, Barclaya longifolia, Cabomba furcata, Ludwigia sp. 'Rubin', Myriophyllum tuberculatum, Nymphaea lotus 'Red', and Rotala macrandra. And please do so quickly mate!

Cheers,

I guarantee that after a month or two of UKAPS, your tank and choice of fish will change. These guys are artists and it really rubs off on you.
Good luck with the tank, make sure to get rid of the plastic fantastic and pick up a nice nymphaea. Nice big red leaves and they aren't that high maintenance in my experience.
Take the CEG's advice. :D

Kris

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
I guarantee that after a month or two of UKAPS, your tank and choice of fish will change. These guys are artists and it really rubs off on you.
Good luck with the tank, make sure to get rid of the plastic fantastic and pick up a nice nymphaea. Nice big red leaves and they aren't that high maintenance in my experience.
Take the CEG's advice. :D

Kris

Thanks for all the help. Cant wait to develop my skills and with advice like this i am sure it wont take too long :D

Hi Astroman, i would suggest having a look on google and other places at bowfront aquascapes to get you inspired and thinking of how you want your tank to look, trust me it helps alot. Also dont forget bowfront aquascape journals on UKAPS, there are some really nice ones, such as this: http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... t=bowfront

HarryRobinson said:
Hi Astroman, i would suggest having a look on google and other places at bowfront aquascapes to get you inspired and thinking of how you want your tank to look, trust me it helps alot. Also dont forget bowfront aquascape journals on UKAPS, there are some really nice ones, such as this: http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... t=bowfront

Yep I agree with Harry Alistair's tank was a cracker. I wish I could get my 450l Vision to look half that good.

Andy

Thanks for the help all. I really need a low growing colourful plant to put towards the front of the tank.
any suggestions?
Cheers
Tim

HarryRobinson said:
Pogostemon helfiri!!! Under high lighting and frequent pruning it will look a million $$$$! Plus it will carpet quick if planted dense enough.
wow. Great idea. One question tho - is it ok to syphon clean as part of the usual cleaning schedule as I have quite a few fish in the tank?

Excellent. Thanks Harry. Just bought some! Shold arrive Wednesday!
Cant wait.
Thanks. Tim

HarryRobinson said:
Pogostemon helfiri!!! Under high lighting and frequent pruning it will look a million $$$$! Plus it will carpet quick if planted dense enough.

My new Helfiri arrived and I have planted them :D Looking at various web based instructions for maintaining and growing them there seems to be an opinion that low to med light is better combined with no CO2! I have a Juwel Trigon with T5 lights and a CO2 diffuser. The lights are usually on for about 8 hours a day and the CO2 is always on (about 8 bubbles a minute). As this is all new to me can someone let me know if my Helfiri will be ok and flourish under these conditions? :?

Many thanks

Tim

Back