• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
It's looking great Ady... I like the different variations of light you can have and the scape under the LED's looks really nice.

What glass ware are you running on the inlet and outlet?
Hi, and thanks Gary.
Glassware is a Flo inlet pipe at the left with Gush outlet lily pipe and a Gush inlet on the right with an NA stainless steel outpipe (always confuse me as the pipes are referenced to filter in and out rather than the tank which would be the opposite in my mind :confused: ) Flo is from Tankscape, Gush from APFUK, tbh the gush stuff is really nice and very reasonably priced.....i need to practice my pipe removal and cleaning techniques to a fine art before i splash out on Cal Aqua or ADA :greedy:

Looks great slap head. The ehiem 350 won't disappoint, I run mine every night, the surface is alway sparkley clean.
:lol:
Ordered from your local 'The Aquarium' too mate, from the link in your review :thumbup:

Looking forward to a sparkling surface.
How often do you clean it, every day or is it ok to be ran, switched off, and ran again without cleaning?

Cheers
Ady.

I clean mine about once a week, just run the sponge under the tap. It saves so much messing about as well, I use it after a trim as well as it will also collect the bits you can't net on the surface. IMO one of the best bits of kit for a planted tank.

Hi from sunny south of France

Mate I have just seen your pics, and I love it !!
I can confirm what I have said before about your scaping level.

Great !
I am a bit in a hurry, looking forward to read what I have miss.

Hope that my tank is doing well during my absence.

Cheers

Hi from sunny south of France

Mate I have just seen your pics, and I love it !!
I can confirm what I have said before about your scaping level.

Great !
I am a bit in a hurry, looking forward to read what I have miss.

Hope that my tank is doing well during my absence.

Cheers
Really appreciate that mate :)
Hope your enjoying your holiday.
Cheerio,
Ady

Hi,
received my eheim nano skimmer today and I'm really impressed with it. The surface was clear of the oily film in less than 3 minutes :)

Also, inspired by Big Tom and Alastairs emersed 'maidenhair fern', I managed to grab myself the last one in Homebase :)
u66l.jpg

Ill need to rinse off the soil, thin it out a bit and strap it into position on the emersed wood. £3.49 well spent.

Most likely going to add some amano shrimp and a few horned nerite snails this weekend. Whilst I was at homebase i popped into P@H and they had some nice amanos and the horned nerite snails I thought I was going to have to order online so bonus! No particular reason for the nerites except I think they look pretty cool and are a little variation to the ramshorns that Im used to seeing :)
There is some Oedogonium, or other filamentous algae growing on some of the fern leaves, possibly brought over from the other tank, amanos will make short work of it I'm sure and it maybe caused due to the changing and high temperatures of late alongside some slightly erratic photoperiods....my bad!

Anyway, I've installed some shrimp guards ready and will hopefully be adding some livestock soon :)

Water change tonight.

Cheerio
Ady.

I've just ordered one of those skimmers, partly as a solution to flow problems I'm having in my nano (which in turn are partly caused by all that Java fern I got off you!).

Word of warning about Horned Nerites, I had just one, and a smooth striped one, in a previous planted tank and they were great glass cleaners, but one or other (or both) deposited hard, bright white eggs all over the hardscape. These eggs are not easy to clean off (nigh on impossible), and can make driftwood in particular look pretty unsightly...

I've just ordered one of those skimmers, partly as a solution to flow problems I'm having in my nano (which in turn are partly caused by all that Java fern I got off you!).

Word of warning about Horned Nerites, I had just one, and a smooth striped one, in a previous planted tank and they were great glass cleaners, but one or other (or both) deposited hard, bright white eggs all over the hardscape. These eggs are not easy to clean off (nigh on impossible), and can make driftwood in particular look pretty unsightly...
Thanks for the info Joel, I had considered a couple of zebra nerite a too, but think ill stick with just the horned ones and see what happens....if they produce those unsightly eggs too then well know they both do as I've read elsewhere that the zebra ones do :)
Can't praise the skimmers enough, I was shocked at how fast it did its thing! When turned up they create quite a flow, especially for a nano tank so I'm sure it'll help no end ;)

I do however have a theory as to the source of the oily film. I suspect my Nutrafin Aqua Plus water conditioner. After reading a recent post from Darrell which intimates that dechlorinator most likely isnt necessary with say 25% water changes I tried tonight water changing without the water conditioner. The skimmer is off and there is no oily film yet. I will monitor over the next few days to see if it returns. What initially got me thinking was the fact that it renders purigen useless by coating and clogging it.....maybe it does that to other things in our tanks too....plants, hardscape, diffusers, the surface? The other day when I was water changing there were bubbles forming on the surface that when you touched them, they left a white slimy residue on your finger. The same residue formed on the glass as the water level dropped during siphoning! Looked like one of those light diffusing films people use on the back panes of their tanks!
I have always treated my water with this, but next shrimp tank water change I'm going to leave it out and see if the film disappears there too. The only worry if this ends up being the cause is that ill have a skimmer that I don't need!! Lol.

Cheerio,
Ady.

Decided upon a name :)

I envisaged a prehistoric island type look when i had the hardscape layout and plant list.
Something representative of this look, an aged untouched green island:

Paparoa%20National%20Park,%20South%20Island,%20New%20Zealand.jpg

Its a Natural Aquario Nature Aquarium, and watching Jurassic Park with the kids with that green island look inspired the name NAtural Jurassic.......hell, i even got a bit Oliver Knott just now and dropped a couple of the kids dinosours in there for effect :lol:

yzdm.jpg

The moss and pelias need to fill in to give the feel, but theyre definitely starting to, new growth from the Java moss:

sr6e.jpg

Little die back on the riccardia here at the top, but coming good with new growth, and some nice fresh green sprouts from the fissidens too;

ffs1.jpg

and the emergent wood with the Bolbitis difformis, and soon to be added Maidenhair fern to bring the inside out;

3zp9.jpg

Just thought id explain the title :p
Cheerio,
Ady.

I do however have a theory as to the source of the oily film. I suspect my Nutrafin Aqua Plus water conditioner. After reading a recent post from Darrell which intimates that dechlorinator most likely isnt necessary with say 25% water changes
the community tank in page 4 of the journal in my signature has not had any dechlorinator for 6months+ and that still has the white oily film on it. the film disappeared after we raised spray bar later that evening.
Love the tank and the dinosaurs BTW

the community tank in page 4 of the journal in my signature has not had any dechlorinator for 6months+ and that still has the white oily film on it. the film disappeared after we raised spray bar later that evening.
Love the tank and the dinosaurs BTW

i think there are likely many reasons for, and types of surface films. Ill report back my findings, if it has disappeared and goes from my nano shrimp tank without the dechlor, then i may even add dechlorinator back in to see if the film reappears.....just to be sure in this case :thumbup:

Well that didn't last long, slight oily film again tonight so not likely to be the aqua plus dechlorinator unless it is remnants left in the tank, but unlikely. Anyway the skimmer cleared it in seconds! :)

love the dinosaurs ady and tank seems to be coming on great once I get bigger tank the surface skimmers seem to be very good and good investment also quick question when you put hose into tank to carry out water change does the cold water from hose not make the water temp drop dramatically ? I use barrel with warm water just curious for when I eventually need to do this

Thanks mate

I'm just putting this out there but could it be down to the lovely weather of late forcing us all to have windows open and letting in a lot of outside pollutants?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers Tim, did you set your tank up again mate?
Not yet mate, we've just moved house and i'm now a dad :dummy: so as you could imagine I've not had the time as yet. I managed to get 5mins to look on UKAPS a couple of days ago and I could feel the Aquarium bug itching away at me again. There's so many fantastic tanks on here and your one is a knock out. Mrs is trying to convince me we no longer need an Aquarium :banghead: We'll see :mad:

Back