• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Tank 17l - Rescape update

Re: Nano CRS Tank 17l

I bought crs as my first shrimp. They did fine. Didn't know what I was doing or how to keep them but they survived numerous tank changes and everything but a bad choice of filter resulting in one being split into two :/ guess I was just lucky. Good luck ;)

why not have the shrimp you really want ? Just use a different stone.

Trouble in Paradise.

Setting up a tank is a near magical moment. Putting together various parts of a puzzle which slip seamlessly together.

This, however, was hellish. :twisted:

So after filling up the tank and turning the filter on, I found that the flow was beyond weak. So I left it for several minutes and upon my return, there was a phenomenal amount of water everywhere.

After a good solid hour of tinkering and leaks, I finally managed to get it water tight, but I'm not quite sure how.

Then went to attach the Reg and release the CO2 only to find that the Solenoid was broken and was adamant not to let any gas through.

Various other problems such as continuous flickering of the bulbs ect. But I will not continue to complain.

ALL of the issues are resolved now and the tank is running perfectly. Got another Reg from Philip which is perfect and its all going well.

Its become apparent that CRS is no longer a possibility with this setup, but that's ok because there are plenty of other shrimp that would be much more suited. Rili Shrimp are a definite possibility among others but the main thing I really want is a small shrimp to help give the scape as much scale as possible.

IMG_5197.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

Was told afterwards that it is much easier to plant when the Aquasoil is wet......ah well!!

IMG_5200.jpg

First filled up.

IMG_5202.jpg

Pearling

IMG_5209.jpg

And the Tank today..

IMG_5218.jpg

It has got quite a gradient on it!!! It was something that I wanted to experiment with, and hopefully when the plants cover more of the substrate, there wont be so obvious, failing that it can always be lowered! I do expect it to sink some more though as there are gaps underneath the rocks where I don't think the substrate has filled into yet.

Have just moved house, and unfortunately during the move, the slope did slip down. It was unrealistic to presume that the tank could be transported without any substrate movement, so I have completely changed it.

Pictures to follow shortly.

I have also had problems with the filter and it has completely broken now, and is streaming water from the electricity port!!!

Have ordered one of the Dennerle Nano External Skim Filter.

Hi guys,

Quite a lot has changed since the summer. Have been incredibly busy since getting back to uni and as a result I haven't been keeping up with UKAPS.

The tank layout went under change as that enormous slope was un-practical and just kept slipping so this is the new layout after I planted it back up.

IMG00543-20120909-1113.jpg

I may have let it overgrow slightly...

IMG-20121023-00009.jpg

But after a nice trimming session...

IMG-20121123-00062.jpg

...It looks nice and tidy.

Had a chat with a few friends and decided to try out the CRS who went in a few weeks back and they are loving it! Very happy and pretty little shrimp. Only three of them at the moment, as it was a bit of a trial run but plan to put more in.

Sorry for the bad pictures as I'm without a decent camera at the moment, but will hopefully borrow a friends and take some with the shrimp soon!

I am also considering taking out the HC and planing some mini Hair Grass just to keep it fun. If anyone has experience with this plant; please let me know as I think it could be potentially quite fun.

Cheers,

Ed

That looks really smart :)

Why not rescale completely and go for a all together different style? Tons of moss and a shrimo

Thanks Tim but I think it's necessary to grow it out of water for a few weeks which unfortunately isn't an option
Bit of a technical update as well.

Had to drop the lighting as algae starting jumping up! Nightmare. I didn't think that the HG was growing well enough so I pulled a large clump out to split it and it there were stupid amounts if runners coming off it. This mini HG grows in different way than my experience with the dwarf variety. Seems to me that its runners tend to go over the surface of the substrate sometimes? Anyone had any experience with this plant and would like to throw some hints at me?? If so what methods did you use and how quickly did it carpet??

Many thanks

Back