• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first planted tank

Hi there ! Whether it's the first or the tenth tank, there is nothing to be shy of ; it's beautiful , clean with plants in tip top condition ; keep up the good work

Envoyé de mon SM-G935F en utilisant Tapatalk

Rotala macranda. Really hard to get nice colours and leaf shapes with medium light:

14859774_10210739976119350_6237643194497273771_o.jpg

Amazing tank.. excellent work. Keep it up. Really like the way the plants show their red color. Is there anything specific u do for that.. like extra iron or more co2..

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hi, I think your tank is superb! What is the stem growing horizontally? Is it curly ludwigia?
Thank you. That horizontal stem is a long root of pistia startiotes aka water lettuce. Also I tried to grow curly ludwigia, but eventually killed it off :(

Last edited:
Amazing tank.. excellent work. Keep it up. Really like the way the plants show their red color. Is there anything specific u do for that.. like extra iron or more co2..

Thank you. I've read online that the key for rotala macranda to get really red (besides the obvious high light demand and 25 ppm CO2) is low nitrates and higher potassium. In general, when red plants get such diet, they tend to grow slower (although i cannot confirm it, since plants in my tank still seem to grow fast), but the red colouring is more bright. So now I barely dose N (usually a bit once a week) in order to keep it bellow 10 ppm. And i dose P every other day to keep it relatively high. This is how i achieved such broad leaves and bright red colour.

Hi all, Do you mean potassium (K) or phosphorus (P)?

cheers Darrel
I think he meant K when he said P.
Anyway question to the OP.. do u dose liquid ferts.. aren't they expensive? If u r using dry how do u dose N and K separately?

First planted tank? Is that a carpet of UG on the left? [picks jaw off floor]

I think he meant K when he said P.
Anyway question to the OP.. do u dose liquid ferts.. aren't they expensive? If u r using dry how do u dose N and K separately?

I use liquid ferts from a local company here in Lithuania - http://www.vimi.lt/ . They are called Solo N, solo K, solo Fe and solo P. They really allow you to play around with different macros since you are dosing by drops and each of the macros separately. 50 ml bottles might seem small, but I've bought my first set of these ferts in june and the the only one I emptied is Solo Fe. One bottle goes roughly for 7-8 euros. I think it's a reasonable price for which allows you to be really precise with your dosing.

Back