• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first planted aquarium.. 80x45x60 cm

Lexy,
You need to have distilled water adjusted to an alkalinity of 4 dkH in the dropchecker, not tank water or tap water, otherwise you will run into trouble interpreting the color on the DC. You can buy 4dkH water at many of our sponsors but it may also be available on Dutch vendor websites.

Cheers,
Hold on!
Do you mean that I need to add 4dkh water into the dropchecker and the blue fluid that comes with the drop checker?
Or only the 4dkh water?

No mate, that's not what I meant. What I said was that I have no idea what the blue water is and that it could very well be a mixture of 4dKH water plus pH reagent, in which case problem solved and no further action required. Check the instructions to find out what it is.

Most DC kits are sold with only the DC and some pH reagent, so you'd have to buy the 4dKH water separately. Some kits even state in the instructions to use tank water, which is wrong. Recently, since we have been complaining about this, vendors have started mixing pH reagent with 4dKH water and shipping the mix with the DC kit. If that's what Denerle does then you're fine as is, but you need to understand this when the the water runs out. They may charge outrageous amounts of money for more blue water and you need to understand what the water is composed of (and what it should be composed of) so that you will understand your purchasing options.

Cheers,

Yesterday we have drained the aquarium, emptied the hoses and filters, painted the walls of the kitchen and added window foil on two sides of the tank.
Aquacompleet.nl mailed me that the led lights have arrived in the Netherlands and are awaiting customs clearance. :)

Have a nice day!
Lexy

tankfoiled_zpsf0772464.jpg

This is gonna look nice :)
what plants are you thinking of using

Cheers
Martin

lighting looks great and love the scape, looking forward to watching this one ;)

Dean

IMG_4310_zps31e7e078.jpg
IMG_4312_zpsb38bc405.jpg

First photos after a week.
Hairgrass isnt really soing much, some of it has melted and most has darkened more then when it was planted. Other plants growing very slowly and creating fresh leaves.

Hi Lexy,
Looking nice so far. A week is nothing in the life of a tank so I really wouldn't worry too much about the rate of growth. As long as you are getting some growth to replace the failing leaves then a little browning and melting is acceptable. Do not become impatient.

Cheers,

Hi Clive, no rush here.
All other plants look nice, small melting here and there..
No algea, temperature is 22-23C, low lights, short period of light and there are more bubbles of Co2 in the tank then there is in 7up.

Have a nice day!
Lexy

A week further, I must admit that I had expected some more growth in the tank.
Not in a rush but the only thing that shows progres is the polysperma on the left side of the tank, they have grown about 20cm after they were planted. They are alot denser on the lower side.
Hygrophila Pinnatifada is growing sideways, some leaves are browing so they look pretty ok.

Hi Lexy,
You have sacrificed growth rate for survival. The light intensity, which is the main driver for speed, has been reduced, and the temperature has been lowered to 22, which also reduces the metabolism.

When you're thinking to yourself how disappointing it is to have such slow growth rates you should immediately consider that you do not have algae or mass die-off.

The stems on the far left should be cut and replanted. More roots in the substrate helps both plants and substrate. Keeping them low will also prevent premature blocking of flow.

If your lighting is low enough then you can increase the photoperiod gradually to enhance growth rates.

Cheers,

Thank you for the tips Clive!
I am not disappointed, just my expectations were to high, I thought that there would be more happening in the growth rate. Just a bit impatient I guess.. :)

Stems on the left cut back and the tops replanted.
The hairgrass has melted to about 15% of its original planting.
The light settings upped with 10%, temperature is still 22-23C.

Doing 50% water changes every third day. Dosing EI every day, till the water changes reduce.
Makro: dosing 40ml. Bottle with 480ml boiled tap water, 36gr NO3, 5.2gr PO4, 43.9gr SO4
Mikro: dosing 60ml. Bottle with 480ml boiled tap water, 8.45gr CSM+B

Co2 rate still pretty high, (not on the 7up level though) when can I reduce that to find the right level? Seems to be kind of tricky to find out how much is to much..

And no algae! :thumbup:

Back