• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 60p soft water

View attachment 198625
Clearing up… but still not getting that fast fast growth I was hoping for? Any clue What I can do @JoshP12 ? Planning on doing a WC soon.
Looks like UV is clearing up the water?

In terms of growth rate, I think you are inert substrate and only water column. You have max light and high temp.

I think the only way is with more ferts (or co2).

Ca/Mg is probably fine - same with micros. Probably just a bit more N and P and K and go from there.

Since I think you follow K<N.

Looks like UV is clearing up the water?
Yeap.
In terms of growth rate, I think you are inert substrate and only water column. You have max light and high temp.
Yeap.
I think the only way is with more ferts (or co2).
Co2 at 1.0ph drop from 7.15~6.15
Ca/Mg is probably fine - same with micros. Probably just a bit more N and P and K and go from there.
yeah. ca:Mg:K at 20:8:4. (Target dosed at wc)
Since I think you follow K<N.
For my weekly dosing yes. I add 1 ppm N and 0.66 K.

Will try increase my N to 2ppm N.

I’d also increase P. Best chance of getting it “right”, I think.
Ah, interesting…. 🤔 maybe!

One thing about my tank is the fact that I don’t do WC often. Maybe every few weeks… Do you think my tank will use 2ppm N weekly? Or will it just accumulate. I have 1.3k and 0.88 Po4 being dosed with that.

Last edited:

One thing about my tank is the fact that I don’t do WC often. Maybe every few weeks… Do you think my tank will use 2ppm N weekly? Or will it just accumulate. I have 1.3k and 0.88 Po4 being dosed with that.
don’t know. If it’s not growing fast enough for you, then you just feed more! And you have every other aspect capped out - so it must be? With more N, you will need proportionate P and K to the Ca and Mg less “as much”.

OR water change more often. Then you get the same guaranteed values and success but with more fert replenishment in the water.

Getting there?….
B13D7184-ECA0-464D-9085-7830DBA770E2.jpeg

Macro increase leading to bigger plants but also algae.

What kind?
Gsa, GDA on plants and glass. Glass hasn’t been cleaned in months, but had to do so yesterday.
also, you increased ferts - did you micro turn up co2?
I’m not as confident with co2 as you😅especially since my tank is relatively small.
So yeah, no I didn’t.

Today’s pic.. you can see which plants are liking increased macros.

macs are changing from lean circular leaf form to EI form. With curled and undulated ( is that the word?? ) leaves

Added pics of glass as well.
4D22448C-72E3-4831-8792-9B81BD074D85.jpeg
55F20B89-210F-4E38-A634-4E4C4092F4C7.jpeg

D0976DEA-B716-4E7D-8D26-4B25CC1ADA78.jpeg

Senegalensis looking really prettty. Pantanal is uh getting there…

Surprisingly wallichii really appreciated higher nutrients.
Hacked it back and it’s got some rlly nice new pink shoots.
image.jpg

Tonina is a stable one. Grows fine and doesn’t care.
image.jpg

Loving riccardia
image.jpg

Gsa, GDA on plants and glass. Glass hasn’t been cleaned in months, but had to do so yesterday.

I’m not as confident with co2 as you😅especially since my tank is relatively small.
So yeah, no I didn’t.

Today’s pic.. you can see which plants are liking increased macros.

macs are changing from lean circular leaf form to EI form. With curled and undulated ( is that the word?? ) leaves

Added pics of glass as well.View attachment 198687View attachment 198688
View attachment 198686
Senegalensis looking really prettty. Pantanal is uh getting there…

Surprisingly wallichii really appreciated higher nutrients.
Hacked it back and it’s got some rlly nice new pink shoots.
View attachment 198689
Tonina is a stable one. Grows fine and doesn’t care.
View attachment 198690

Loving riccardia View attachment 198691
That’s some beautiful mac. FWIW though, IME mac has skinnier leaves under richer water column dosing once you get past a certain threshold and wider/fatter leaves under leaner water column dosing. Take a look at @GreggZ mac pics and then Dennis Wong’s. Also here is my Rotala Mac mini type 4 red dosed at EI levels.
44798CCC-AA56-43AA-AB4F-9A4397871B63.jpeg

Last edited:
GDA is like little balls? Flocculent? I’m almost convinced this algae is very closely related to something systemic vs plant — notice we both have it and we both have cloudy water.

Though our substrates are completely different. As of now, I can’t pinpoint the relations on that thing though I’m banking on when the water is de-cloudied it will also be gone.

I think your Mac is rather happy at the moment.

Here is mine under “insane offgas substrate and lean column dosing” conditions:

1671058179561.jpeg

1671058197977.jpeg

1671058251831.jpeg

On the other side:
1671058214646.jpeg

The GSA, probably linked to K, PO4, and/or co2.

I am leaning to K and PO4 — did you increase both of these with N?

@KirstyF fixed her permanent GSA with K and PO4. Just P didn’t do it - keeping overall balance in mind.

I doubt your co2 is off.

Last edited:
That’s some beautiful mac. FWIW though, IME mac has skinner leaves under richer water column dosing once you get past a certain threshold and wider/fatter leaves under leaner water column dosing. Take a look at @GreggZ mac pics and then Dennis Wong’s. Also here is my Rotala Mac mini type 4 red dosed at EI levels. View attachment 198692
Yeah that’s what I meant. Not sure how it came across haha. They used to have circular leaves and more compact forms, now they’re growing those long skinny leaves.

GDA is like little balls? Flocculent? I’m almost convinced this algae is very closely related to something systemic vs plant — notice we both have it and we both have cloudy water.

Though our substrates are completely different. As of now, I can’t pinpoint the relations on that thing though I’m banking on when the water is de-cloudied it will also be gone.

View attachment 198693

View attachment 198694
View attachment 198696

On the other side:
View attachment 198695

@KirstyF fixed her permanent GSA with K and PO4.

I doubt your co2 is off.
Gorgeous pics.
No gda is like a dust, I have also stringy algae like spirogyra?

K And po4 increased yes… but only in same ratio. So
2ppm N 0.9 po4, 1.3 k
Are you suggesting I raise these values?
To maybe
8.8 No3
1.5 po4
2 K
Yeah good point.

View attachment 198693

View attachment 198694
View attachment 198696

On the other side:
View attachment 198695

I doubt your co2 is off.
However I also see green splotchy colours? In my tank this only occured in rich substrate and high No3 levels.

However I also see green splotchy colours? In my tank this only occured in rich substrate and high No3 levels.
Hmm - think I’m not following.

With rich substrate and 5x EI and high light, I’ve had a clean tank. I’ve never taken the substrate to the level I did this time. But last time I did this with much less miracle gro I had a similar green flocxulent thing but it didn’t last as long.

The green splotch in mine or yours? Does it come off easy peasy? Or hard (like gsa)?

Hmm - think I’m not following.

With rich substrate and 5x EI and high light, I’ve had a clean tank. I’ve never taken the substrate to the level I did this time. But last time I did this with much less miracle gro I had a similar green flocxulent thing but it didn’t last as long.

The green splotch in mine or yours? Does it come off easy peasy? Or hard (like gsa)?
Green splotchy colours on your macrandra . Not algae but a growth defect. I have some photos I will try find them for you tomorrow. Off to bed for today!

Green splotchy colours on your macrandra . Not algae but a growth defect. I have some photos I will try find them for you tomorrow. Off to bed for today!
Ahh yes! 👌

I notice it under low co2 (or flow/dist. Locally) or high N for whatever reason causes the flux.

Also wouldn’t be surprised at all if spectrum played any part in what we actually see on these plants/how they pigment up.

It’s part of the reason why I showed right and left side in the photos above (my right and left lights are different in both intensity and spectrum and you can starkly see a difference, granted flow blah blah etc too).

Last edited:
Back