• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 60p soft water

I don't think this should affect the Fe. I assume you are referring to Mg and K interaction which could interfere with each others and where Mg Deficiency (look similar to Fe Deficiency/Pale Growth) could occur due to excess K ? But in your case this is less likely to happen because your K is still not that high. let me know if this is why you wanted to make the change listed in the quote?
Due to antagonism from Ca:Mg and Fe.
I only added K since it is part of my remineraliser.
In the past I had gone as Low as 0.03ppm Fe weekly (though this was soil) in very soft water.
So yeah, that’s why I am considering moving it down, maybe at a later date though.

IMG_20221231_155157.jpg

New update coming soon. Plus plans. Happy new year folks!

@MichaelJ for sure lean dosing can yield great results, been there myself. Always more than one route to success.
But perhaps not necessarily a good idea for those just starting out though 🙂

good to see the tank has cleared up from that green water, which i strongly believe has interrupted the nutrients and lights. regarding lean dosing, the tank is setup based on inert substrate with low CEC which will have very little impact on the Nutrients in the water, such setup is more aligned toward true uptake of the nutrients by the plants without much interference from substrate. in another word, if one want to fully test how well their liquid fertilizer/ ratio etc. are working, they should eliminate the source of interference. if same was done with substrate that have a high CEC, it will certainly interfere with some of nutrients, especially those with + charge attached to them.

@plantnoobdude keep on playing with the fertilizer/Ratio, there is always a room for improvement. if you could run this tank for a one full year on the same/similar pattern, you will get this award from the UKAPS community
1672529398241.png

What do you think caused the stunting?
Difficult to say honestly. I don't have enough data with the plant in this tank and these specific conditions as it used to be in my smaller tank before where it was growing very slow but without stunting. Could be the soil being depleted although I did add some root tabs not long ago so not sure here.

Also, how much urea are you dosing? Never seen that even when I use only urea for N
I'm currently dosing ~10ppm (split 4:1 - KNO3:urea). The plant started to stunt once it was quite tall although now I am seeing side shoots showing some early signs of stunting after trimming the plant. Before that, leaf were fine. Not sure if light intensity could also have triggered the deformity. I'm not relating the urea to the deformity BTW. Only the coloration and growth speed which I am pretty sure it's the urea because many plants have turned bright green since using urea rather than only NO3. Some plants also just start growing at an accelerated pace like E. setaceum for example and this Pedicellata. I had to remove the E. setaceum because of this when in fact it's actually a slow grower.
1672536428340.png

IMG_9525.jpg

Difficult to say honestly. I don't have enough data with the plant in this tank and these specific conditions as it used to be in my smaller tank before where it was growing very slow but without stunting. Could be the soil being depleted although I did add some root tabs not
Your smaller tank was dosed leaner in column? Was it more stable in terms of nutrient levels? I remember something about frontloading from you.

For me urea dosed at non limiting lead to vey fast growth.

Your smaller tank was dosed leaner in column? Was it more stable in terms of nutrient levels? I remember something about frontloading from you.
Yes it was dosed slightly leaner (basically an APT Complete clone I made) dosed 3x a week but 50% of the soil was new and I also had added locally made root tabs as an insurance. Front loading was only on my main tank not the smaller one. This said CO2 was lower in that small tank so plants were demanding less so this could also be the reason for the stunting in my bigger tank where CO2 is as high as it gets.

IMG_20230102_181313.jpg

Did some thinning out and WC.

Plans for early 2023
1. Get some fishies, cherry barbs maybe?
2. Try get a Scape? Maybe lol
3. Try miracle gro on this tank in combination with very low Ca Mg 5:2 front dosed and very small amounts dosed daily. (0.2 Mg, 0.4 Ca) (Prolly won't do this if I get cherry barbs.) TDS in set up like this will be 20-22. Wanna see if I can get good growth in ultra-lean/light water. Need to study Marcel's work more.
N 1
P 0.1458
K 0.554
Fe 0.008
Mn 0.00208
B 0.000833
Cu 0.00125
Zn 0.00125
Mo 0.00004166
Thanks @Happi for calculations
4. More plants. Royals sahyadrica, rotala red cross, ammannia praetermissa, all good options. Yes I m lythracaea obsessed.

Realistically what'll probably happen:
I keep my Ca:Mg:K the same NPK the same try and get a nice pleasing Scape, and some pretty fishies.

Attachments

• IMG_20230102_181313.jpg
    IMG_20230102_181313.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 68
Made my marschner mix with miracle gro and a few other chemicals. It's AIO
Including
N,p,K,Fe,Mn,Zn,Cu,B, Mo, Ni,Ca,Mg,S,Cl
Wasn't sure if it was possible but I did it😀
IMG_20230103_145244.jpg

I'll do an experiment with this quite soon.
Light water+inert substrate+ marschner collumn. Will it fail drastically? Will nothing happen? Who knows
N. 2
P 0.3
K 1.3
Fe 0.016
Mn 0.0075
B 0.003
Cu. 0.0025
Zn. 0.0025
Mo. 0.00008
Ca. 0.66
Mg. 0.33
Ni. 0.00001