• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 60p soft water

wallichii
6F0BD262-F8AA-4BE5-A963-8B6D9705A15A.jpeg
D6BEF801-6DAC-41F0-B2F7-7290022846BA.jpeg

Improvements in cuphea
1701F02D-DD2D-4BA3-B5AD-94CF8B9CAADF.jpeg

Clean old growth
C8E7FBA9-996F-402B-AF5F-C03CC36EDB2F.jpeg

Stunted leaves collect algae, specifically GDA. These are the stems I replanted without roots. This plant fairs much better if you chop it down and let sideshoots develop.
53454C12-3D07-4C0D-B10B-422FEBC2895D.jpeg

I’ve always had problems with buce. Seems lately they’re doing better though, I have a variety of species now, maybe get a wall soon?
A5FFE624-2408-4C79-BCF3-D164A3D0EC42.jpeg

Stressed quins flowering, these LOVE co2. A couple days without co2 and these can melt into oblivion. Lucky I didn’t lose these in the heat.
9D8C3826-3A8F-48D0-B559-86BB16C6E5C4.jpeg

Current dosing;
20:8:4
Ca:Mg:K
AT water change

NPK
according to marschner
1:0.13:0.66
4.4 No3
0.44 Po4
From NH4NO3 and Urea, KH2PO4, K2SO4.
I dose this as needed. From 0 to 2ppm nitrogen weekly.

Currently I am dosing tropica micro nutrients clone I made.
To 0.04 Fe weekly.
This doesn’t seem to be good? I am noticing several issues in plants which I haven’t seen in a while. The only thing I changed other than this is increasing gh…. I doubt that would cause leaf curling or stunting. This doesn’t work, I will try dosing tenso or go back to my custom lean mix.

The plants and soil in this tank has been moved to a 60p.
5FECA44C-20A1-4DB7-8BD1-F85E1EC4575D.jpeg

Basically just the same tank sooo, I kept the journal the same.

For now I won’t be dosing and I’ll just let the tank settle in. Figure out how much co2 I need first, then start dosing ferts.

My other tank will be Low tech, and there should be a journal for that soon!

Totally agree the first priority is to dial in the CO2 for the new tank before trying anything else.

when you get a new tank, you think there's a lot of extra space , but actually after moving over the old plants... there's not much space left! :)

Totally agree the first priority is to dial in the CO2 for the new tank before trying anything else.

when you get a new tank, you think there's a lot of extra space , but actually after moving over the old plants... there's not much space left! :)
I’ll be getting rid of a few sp soon, to make the tank more “Dutch”. Probably rotala indica, the buce, ludwigia palustris, and the lily. They just take up too much space and are not challenging to grow.

Settling in, there is some stunting but that is to be expected since everything including soil was moved into another tank. Co2 needs some work, just took a sample to degas. And need to calibrate the meter.

81E4886A-C52D-4D8E-8CC4-949411A24F9C.jpeg

Installed an ATO since I am going on holiday soon.

Oh interesting, what product did you get?
It’s an all in one system, quite nice so far. Testing it for a week or two before I go off.

Everything seems reasonably happy. Except the Pantanal. I think the unhappiness can be put down to two main things;
1. High temps due to fluctuating co2
2. Overly lean dosing (5ppm no3 equivelant from nh4no3) weekly and 0.05Fe from a tropica clone.

I don’t feel like increasing ferts till the heat sorts it’s self out so that can be ruled out as an issue.
Also planning on trying a few different micros soon.

A99AFC55-944A-4855-B381-42EEA1E708BB.jpeg

Current dosing

1.25N NH4NO3
0.6 po4

Water change target
20ppm Ca
8ppm Mg
4 K

Micros

0.05Fe
0.0335 Mn
0.0025 B
And the rest I forgot.

Last edited:
Hey @plantnoobdude

Glad to be following then golden looks good. It tends to very susceptible to all algea topping and replanting is the correct choice. You may have issues later down the line as this plant I belive likes lean dosing vs your other plants. It can be a tricky plant to maintain when having a wide ranging plant needs.

Though I throw my hands up @Erwin is the best on this this thread with this plant. Erwin did we settle what ferts v lighting run best for colouration with golden? Mine really took a battering from the BBA issues, so I never got to full lighting before I have to pull it.

It tends to very susceptible to all algea topping and replanting is the correct choice. You may have issues later down the line as this plant I belive likes lean dosing vs your other plants. It can be a tricky plant to maintain when having a wide ranging plant needs.
I have not found this plant to be anymore susceptible to algae then others. It only collects algae when stunted.
As for topping, I’m going to have to disagree, this plant does far better for me when I allow it to root well And let sideshoots establish.

I belive likes lean dosing vs
I am not sure about this either. I have dosed up to 3ppm Nitrigen weekly (15 No3 equivelant from nh4no3) and it does not stunt. I strongly believe using well formulated fertiliser is the best, whether it be lean or rich dosing.
ferts v lighting run best for colouration with golden
nutrient levels don’t seem to matter much, seems light dependent so far. Light drives the system, Low light makes the systems inefficiencies unseen, high light will quickly high light issues, so be careful.
battering from the BBA issues
Interestingly, I have never really had bba issues, it is certainly not perfect co2 which allowed me to escape this beast, since at times I was running very Low co2, about 0.4 ph drop.

Last edited:
It's interesting because my experience of this plant has been varied. At leaner dosing I found stronger colouration. Lighting was in the medium range and co2 was accurately injected. I started the lighting system in the high end of low and brought it up incrementally. I found over the time I increased lighting the plant was heavily effected by algae this effected health over all.

Intially I tried trimming leaving root system and replanting tops. Tops did better than initial shoots as they stunted badly causing leaf curl and poor growth.

Ferts were intended to become richer to accommodate but this became pointless after BBA which I was managing took over.

I was able to combat this with a lil excel treatment after trying everything else. But the golden was too far gone.

I know me and Erwin spent alot of time discussing ferts as he is an advocate for rich dosing but wanted to know how I'd got the colouration. We were unable to fully test the lean v rich over long term due to BBA.

Will definitely be using this plant again in the future so let me know how you get on. 😊

Back