• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 1st attempt

Francis

Well this is my first attempt at an aquascape

The tank
86 x 48 x 65

Filters
Fluval 405

CO2
Flourish Excel

Ferts,
EI NKP

Substrate
ADA amazonia

Plants
none yet, arriving tomorrow :)

Hardscape
Redmoor and minilandscape rock - not quite enough I'm finding out-

Lighting
4x 24w T5

The tank arrived a few weeks ago and was in need of a clean, considering its only meant to be 4month old is was rather dirty.
IMG_0082.jpg

Nothing a bit of lemon juice can't remove
DSC_0290.jpg

The wood and rocks arrived today - so I spent the evening realising the downsides to a deep tank

attempt 1. - lets put it down to a learning experance
DSC_0002.jpg

Attempt 2. Another learning experence
IMG_0091.jpg

Attempt 3. Im tired now and don't seem to be learning all that quick, although I am slightly happier with the attempt
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

I think this is a good example of just how good you lot are. :) Its much harder then it looks :p

They're some interesting dimensions to work with. Would look great with some nice Angelfish in it, the height would really suit them.

Attempt 3 looks good to me, but I would be tempted to use the smaller piece again. But yes, it could definitely use some more rocks. If you don't fancy getting more, I'd probably remove them all together - but that's me!

Looking forward to updates,

Tom

Really Liking Scape 3, and agree that you really don't need the rocks in there as the Wood is Strong enough on its own. This would also Suit some large Long Finned fish like Black/White Widow Tetras. A Very Underated fish.

Francis,

dont underestimate yourself, no.3 is pretty good.

I think the important point of your hardscape is getting the basic proportions and positioning right. The detail which so many people get hung up on is often lost anyway when the plants grow in.

Yup tanks that are taller than they are wide are much more of a challenge to scape and I think you have been doing pretty well so far.

Just a thought when you are making steeper slopes with substrate you could maybe get some more stones to help terrace the substrate and therefore better retain it over time. There are other ways as well. The retaining stones dont have to be visible either.

thank you all for the kind words.

A slight rescape and plants added today.

I had to be rather conservative with the plants as this project is nearly costing me a divorce :)
I went to the Planted Tank in Selby, unfortuinately they had an issue with some deliveries so stock was down somewhat.
I ended up relying on the local pets at home - rather improved selection-

Once Home setup filter and heater. planted the plants and filled the tank.
A slight issues with the inline heater leaking resulting in a total melt down for me.
the good news is I now know that I can drain the tank with gravity and a hosepipe alone in rather quick fashion.

I stuck in an internal heater for now until I fix the tubing

Here are a few Pictures taken just after I refilled the tank, And yes more background plants needed
but that will have to wait until next month :)

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Hi,

I like the new scape :) Just a note though, some of those plants from Pets @ Home are not aquatic. It's the ones with the pink/green variegated leaves. The won't last too long. May be best to replace them with some Crypts or Swords. P@H can get some lovely Crypts and Swords in now in the 3 for £10 section :)

Tom

I have to confess I'm no expert on Aquatic plants. but we all have to start somewhere :)

the plants I picked up where

Glossostigma elatinoides
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hygrophila Corymbosa
Cryptocoryne backetti
And the flat leifed one on the far right - which I do not know the name of

the ones you are referring to I have no idea what they are called I guess that explains why they where not labeled.
I live and learn :p

thought I should post an update. Just over two weeks in
Its all slow but steady. Although Im not doing very well with the Glosso. - appreciate I need an additional powerhead in the right corner-

I Would also like to add some Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov to the bottom of the wood to fill out that area a bit more.

anyway here are a few pics -

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Back