• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

MTV-Kribs

There’s an Old aquarium Coop YouTube vid, where he visits Eric Bodrocks fishroom, he talks about lots of strategies for breeding Corydoras, dry seasons, botanicals,food( including crushed snails), pheromones etc
I like that video, there's also a couple aquarium co-op videos of Eric Bedrock presenting a of talks about breeding corys/plecos. LRB also has a couple of videos at Eric and Regina's fishroom.
I went back and watched some of Mitchell Broomes' videos and read his replies to comments. He gives a detailed account of what he does to spawn them in the replies to this video. As Conort2 says I think it's about keeping them in the dry season state longer than I did.

I collected some Corydoras duplicareus eggs from my main tank a little while back. They've grown quite nicely so might have a go at breeding them with more purpose.

There are actually 5 but one was out of frame. Despite being in with approximately 60 gold lasers of a similar size they stick together as a species specific group. I think it shows the importance of keeping them in groups and not just keeping one of each species, assuming they'll form a group just because they're all Corydoras.
C.duplicareus.jpg

So after 10 months of trying I have eques fry!
Eques fry 2 weeks old 11.08.24.jpg
They're currently 2 weeks old.
I've had 3 spawns in total, the first was 23/07/24, the second 25/07/24 and the third 11/08/24.
I'm going to write a spawning log on planet catfish when they get to around the 2 month mark but happy to put my notes here if there's any interest. In short a dry period wasn't required just very stable conditions and no water changes for several weeks. I fed a lot of live food for the first two spawns but the last spawning happened after having fed just dry food for 2 weeks.

So after 10 months of trying I have eques fry!
View attachment 221397
They're currently 2 weeks old.
I've had 3 spawns in total, the first was 23/07/24, the second 25/07/24 and the third 11/08/24.
I'm going to write a spawning log on planet catfish when they get to around the 2 month mark but happy to put my notes here if there's any interest. In short a dry period wasn't required just very stable conditions and no water changes for several weeks. I fed a lot of live food for the first two spawns but the last spawning happened after having fed just dry food for 2 weeks.
That’s great, as you know not many people succeed with this species. Glad to hear you done it without any of the extended dry season simulations people suggest.

Would appreciate it if you could post the spawning log on here too. There are quite a few members who seem to keep corydoras (I know, wrong name now).

Cheers

That’s great, as you know not many people succeed with this species. Glad to hear you done it without any of the extended dry season simulations people suggest.

Would appreciate it if you could post the spawning log on here too. There are quite a few members who seem to keep corydoras (I know, wrong name now).

Cheers
What's the correct name now?

What's the correct name now?
Osteogaster eques.

𝗟𝗶𝗻𝗲𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝟳 are now 𝑂𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑜𝑔𝑎𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑟.
𝐶𝑜𝑟𝑦𝑑𝑜𝑟𝑎𝑠 𝑎𝑒𝑛𝑒𝑢𝑠 - 𝑂𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑜𝑔𝑎𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑎𝑒𝑛𝑒𝑢𝑠 (type species)
𝐶𝑜𝑟𝑦𝑑𝑜𝑟𝑎𝑠 𝑒𝑞𝑢𝑒𝑠 - 𝑂𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑜𝑔𝑎𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑒𝑞𝑢𝑒𝑠
𝐶𝑜𝑟𝑦𝑑𝑜𝑟𝑎𝑠 ℎ𝑒𝑝ℎ𝑎𝑒𝑠𝑡𝑢𝑠 - 𝑂𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑜𝑔𝑎𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑟 ℎ𝑒𝑝ℎ𝑎𝑒𝑠𝑡𝑢𝑠
𝐶𝑜𝑟𝑦𝑑𝑜𝑟𝑎𝑠 𝑚𝑎𝑐𝑙𝑢𝑟𝑒𝑖 - 𝑂𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑜𝑔𝑎𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑚𝑎𝑐𝑙𝑢𝑟𝑒𝑖
𝐶𝑜𝑟𝑦𝑑𝑜𝑟𝑎𝑠 𝑚𝑒𝑙𝑎𝑛𝑜𝑡𝑎𝑒𝑛𝑖𝑎 - 𝑂𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑜𝑔𝑎𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑚𝑒𝑙𝑎𝑛𝑜𝑡𝑎𝑒𝑛𝑖𝑎
𝐶𝑜𝑟𝑦𝑑𝑜𝑟𝑎𝑠 𝑟𝑎𝑏𝑎𝑢𝑡𝑖 - 𝑂𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑜𝑔𝑎𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑟𝑎𝑏𝑎𝑢𝑡𝑖
𝐶𝑜𝑟𝑦𝑑𝑜𝑟𝑎𝑠 𝑧𝑦𝑔𝑎𝑡𝑢𝑠 - 𝑂𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑜𝑔𝑎𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑧𝑦𝑔𝑎𝑡𝑢𝑠

To be honest I'll still be calling them Corydoras for a while.

After I failed to get them to spawn for a second time (see previous page) I pretty much went in to auto pilot with them, feeding every other day just using dry food (details of foods below). They were in a 30cm cube as I'd read that smaller tanks often result in better success when it comes to breeding corys. This was too small for them long term so I put them in my 100l tank.
To reduce the shock of being moved I did a 15l water change on the 30cm cube using water from the 100l (which hadn't had a water change for approximately 2 weeks. Both tanks are pure rainwater).
After moving them they were 'surfing' the glass where I'd temporarily placed an air stone.
I initially thought that the glass surfing was a stress reaction but after a couple of weeks they were still doing it and predominantly in the flow from the air stone. So I added a 500lph powerhead at the back of the tank pointing towards the front and directly in the flow from the powerhead, I added a spawning mop.
After the addition of the powerhead they were much more active throughout the whole tank.
I upped their feeding significantly. Feeding everyday with dried food in the morning and then either live grindal worms, black worms or freeze dried tubifex in the evening. After about a week of feeding like this they spawned. I didn't do any water changes throughout, so the tank probably didn't get a water change for 5 or 6 weeks.
The first spawn I collected all the eggs I could find (87). The fertility rate was quite low though. The adults didn't eat any of the eggs, as far as I can tell. When they spawned again I left the eggs for 24hrs before collecting. I prefer to do it this way so that I can select only fertile eggs. I collected 100 eggs from the second spawn and left the rest in the tank as I don't have to grow out more.

The water and environmental parameters at the time of the first spawn were:
Atmospheric pressure 1021millibars (met office) pressure forecast to drop 10 millibars over 2 days after spawning.
Waning Gibbous phase of the lunar cycle. 94% illuminated (space.com)
TDS 66
Temp 23c
Gh4
Kh0

Dry food mix
Dr bassleer regular, garlic, acai and chlorella
Fluval bug bites (colour enhancing)
TA aquaculture astaxanthin
Tetra tabmin
Tetra prima
Freeze dried decapsulated brineshrimp

3 week old Eques.
I've noticed more variation is size than I'm used to with my gold lasers and duplicareus. As mentioned there are fry from two separate spawns, which were 4 days apart. This might account for some variation but some fry are significantly smaller than the rest. I guess this might just be genetic, as otherwise they seem to be growing well.

week 3 eques 18.08.24.jpg3 week old Eques fry 18.08.24.jpg

Unfortunately shortly after my last post the female kribensis I have in the tank with the eques suffered a bacterial infection, which spread to the eques juveniles. I lost the majority of the juveniles which was pretty soul destroying. Especially as it was my fault. The filter hoses had become restricted by detritus and bacterial growth, which I hadn't noticed. Fortunately 8 eques juveniles and the female krib survived and are doing well. Despite treating with Esha 2000 the adult eques continued to spawn so I collected some more eggs, which I placed in another tank and they're doing fine.
Polish_20240930_181414588.jpgEques 2 months 2.jpg

Back