• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mission Bathtub 2016

Roy, it seems mother nature doesn't make plans.. Oh wait, she might just do, :rolleyes: plan to make our life more difficult. :lol:
So true indeed, that's part of the fun.. :)

Thanks Neil and Tim.. :)
Fantastic Marcel...there always has to be a least one leak:rolleyes:
Indeed and as usual at a place most difficult to reach.. All the way in the back between the barrel and the waterfall.. :rolleyes: Fortunately it's tiny one, probably closes itself over time with dirt. If it doesn't drain a bucket a day i'll let it go, it waters the passiflora, the grape and a fern few less plants to think about while watering.. :thumbup:

Did some modifications.. My prefilter was restricting a bit to much flow.. At the beginning it was ok, but since the filter slowly clogged it reduced flow to much.. So i diceded to go for full pump capacity with just a very small filter pad to block the biggest dirt chuncks and added a helophyite basket as filter.. Filled with some sintered glass media and topped it of with a very fine gravel and planted it up with cyperus, typha minima, carex, a rotala and some mazus reptans. It takes a bit away of available water surface, the barrel was intentionaly for floaters only. But ok, it doesn't look that bad and it filters actualy great the water already getting much clearer. Floaters also grow fast and alread at the surface.
DSCF6917 (Kopie).JPG

DSCF6918 (Kopie).JPG

I wanted to do the yogurt trick on the used Driftwood. But i think i'm to late for that, this is a relatively sunny spot and don't think there is time enough to get it going and established enough for the summer kicks in.. But did add some clay mixed with dirt into the rock cracks in the splash zone.. And planted it up a bit.. Used HC, monte carlo, hydrocotyl t. hairgrass and such from the tank.. Also some mosses like fissidens, fontanilis and peackock are around..
DSCF6920 (Kopie).JPG

Here is some Lysimachia and a fern in the clay dirt in the crack.. :)
DSCF6922 (Kopie).JPG

Also mother nature is already bringing me all kinds of stuff.. No idea what it is, but it must be tiny.. Nice surprice for later, it's all around where water runs and splashes.
DSCF6926 (Kopie).JPG

Brushing the silicone kit which i threw in a hand of very small lava rock grit, to seal it all off and cover the pondfoil and construction foamwith.. Turned out to not such a bad idea. The lava grit collects dirt, seeds, spores and such, so over time it will contribute a very natural look.. On pondfoil grows nothing, but on the lava grit there is upportunity for vegitation to attach.. :thumbup:

Now waiting for the flowers and growth.. We'll hopefully see in a few weeks.. :)

Not yet Tim, especialy today it's chilly again.. I collected some mosses to spread around, looked awsome.. But day after there was a few hours of rather heavy rain, it all was washed away again. :( :lol: But it's slowly getting somewhere, need to keep track of the weather forecast now before i do something like that again. Also the clay dirt, i hope it all gets time to root before the rain comes again and washes all out.. :rolleyes:

oh plantlist: :)

Till now.. (can't help it MORE IS MORE :woot: cowbell)
Emers
Typha Minima
Lysimachia nummularia (Yellow)
Mazus Reptans (blue)
Bog forgetmenot (purple) (Myosotis palustris)
Hydrocotyl vulgaris
Anagalis tenella (?)
Bletilla striata (purple)
Lobelia cardinalis queen victoria (red)
Iris Leavigata (Mottled beuaty)
Iris pseudacorus (Yellow)
Eriophorum angustifolium (fluffy)
Carex panacea (fluffy)
Cyperus alternifolius
Rotala indica (purple)
hydrocotyl tripartita
Lilaepsis Brasiliensis
HC
MC

Floaters
Nymphoides peltata (yellow)
Nymphaea Rubra (Red)
Nymphaea totaly forgot (?)
Nelumbo nucifera (purple Fire)
Potamogeton natans

(Semi) Submers
Rotala colorata
I think a bacopa (got it from Roy while ago) getting red tips is nice
and i think a Hygrofilia ? rubra ?? (also from roy)

submers
elodea densa
potamogeton perfoliatus.

When temp rises going to dump in a few more tropicals.. :)

It's already raining for days, but it doesn't stop the flowers from blooming.. They are short lived, so ran outside and took a few quick snapshots.
I'm afraid this is all i'm going to get this year from this Iris, they are early flowers, and have to wait to next year for more.
DSCF7126 (Kopie).JPG

DSCF7115 (Kopie).JPG

DSCF7118 (Kopie).JPG

I wasn't sure where i could or would post this.. But i'm pretty sure it originated in the bath tub, at least 90% sure. So i might as well post it in here. :) Anyway since i always put up the bathtub each year again relatively early in the year to put in the goldfish and to kinda give them a cold periode, which always triggers spawning behaivor.. It's always a fun spectacle to watch, probably also fun for them and in my opinion healthy for the fish to have a complete natural and biological cycle as possible and let them have this fun.. It never brought me anything else than just a fun spectacle to witness. But this year a did put a 25 liter bucket in the gardens back corner, filled with water and a piece of the ranunculus i took from the bathtub. This with the idea to get some live food for the fish, like mosquito larvae etc. Today i scrutenized the bucket to see if there was already something in there.

To my surprise and i couldn't believe it, i saw someting swinging around with a fish like motion. And i actualy never ever have seen an insect larvae swiming and looking like fish larvae.. So correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm very much under the impression that the goldfish spawned in the ranunculus and i unintentionaly transgered the eggs to the bucket. And now i have goldfish larvae swimming around in it. At least after googling for goldfish larvae they look rather simular and are actualy the only possibility..

DSCF7136.jpg

Now i'm kinda wondering, how do i get them to survive in a bucket?? I have to think of something..

Back