• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

[Mid tech low effort journal] If you want to make god laugh...

Been a while. Some changes. Added two Rotala's (Macandra and Indica I think) which are establishing well. I'm trimming the other stems heavily to avoid them getting overshadowed as they grow in. One of the macandra stems isn't producing large leaves but the rest look good to me.

Vallis got a heavy trim late August and took a couple of months to recover but it's starting to grow out well now. The Dwarf Sag has completely dominated the eleocharis. and is actually a bit of a pain to maintain at the moment, catching all the trimming s when I mow it, although the cherry srimp love it as their main residence. The smaller Marsilea on the far left got overshadowed by java fern and being under the floating plants and isn't doing to well but the larger marsilea is holding its own and carpeting nicely. The transplanted Crinum is growing like wildfire, but the parent it was transplanted from is struggling. I'd quite like a third dead centre but am holding off adding anything new at the moment.

I've added more floating plants (bulking out the Salvinia and adding red root floater) very recently so am waiting to see the balance that establishes between the three species.

The only minor bugbear right now is I can tell the tank would be growing better with more CO2 but I'm at the limit of the trickle noise I can stand from the reactor. I'm getting tempted to build a long horizontal reactor and strap it to the back of the tank. That being said, the plants are producing enough oxygen that the tank looks bubbly from time to time.

Picture Gallery
Critter Closeups
IMG_20231119_193643.jpg IMG_20231119_193649.jpg IMG_20231119_193659.jpg IMG_20231119_193717.jpg IMG_20231119_193813.jpg

Full width and top
IMG_20231122_114625~2.jpg IMG_20231122_121243.jpg

Sections
IMG_20231122_114508.jpg IMG_20231122_114457.jpg IMG_20231122_114446.jpg IMG_20231122_114423.jpg IMG_20231122_114410.jpg

Oh and I meant to say, I looked once more at upgrading the lighting given the restrictions on Fluorescent tubes. Decided it was best just to buy a stock of tubes. What I did notice was that apparantly I'm meant to be replacing the tubes every 9-12 months, I last replaced them in April 2021. I have new tubes arriving today (giesemann powerchrome Super Flora and Tropic) I'll replace both bulbs just to see whether or not the current ones are dimmer than they should be but I haven't noticed a lack of light from them.

Hi all,
What I did notice was that apparantly I'm meant to be replacing the tubes every 9-12 months, I last replaced them in April 2021. I have new tubes arriving today (giesemann powerchrome Super Flora and Tropic) I'll replace both bulbs just to see whether or not the current ones are dimmer than they should be but I haven't noticed a lack of light from them.
It depends on the fluorescent tube and control gear in the light unit. If they are tri-phosphor tubes and electronically, rather magnetically, ballasted the lamps show very <"little lamp lumen depreciation"> before they fail, so realistically they only need changing when they don't light.

All <"T5 lamps and fittings"> are both tri-phosphor and electronically ballasted and so are the vast majority of more modern T8 tubes and fittings. If you had a fitting where the lamp cycles on off before failing ? Likely to be magnetically ballasted.

cheers Darrel

I can't tell from the manufacturer description what sort of ballast I'm using but I have always presumed from the behaviour (instant on then warm up rather than blinking on) they were electronic. I know Giesemann do both tri and penta phosphor in the powerchrome range...but I can't see which bulbs are which...and I don't know how I would tell the difference.

Hi all,
I have always presumed from the behaviour (instant on then warm up rather than blinking on) they were electronic. I know Giesemann do both tri and penta phosphor in the powerchrome range..
I think that is probably all you need to know. The fluorescent tubes are good until they don't light.

cheers Darrel

Back