• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Melting from the stem.

Hi all,
Planning to use flourish "potassium, Fe" and API CO2 booster
Neither of those are great to be honest. The plants can only make use of the liquid carbon in the "API CO2 booster" if none of the <"other nutrients are deficient">, the "CO2" bit is a misnomer, the compound added never becomes CO2, and it isn't entirely clear how the plant use the liquid carbon molecule.

The problem with the <"Seachem Flourish range"> is that Seachem are engaged in a contest to sell you the <"world's most expensive water">.
I also see what looks like an osmocote capsule.
@LMuhlen and @Witcher are right the "Controlled Release Fertiliser" should be buried in the substrate, although I'm not sure this will have much effect on <"slowing the nutrient release rate">.

cheers Darrel

How long have the swords been in they could be shedding old leaves from emmersed . The new growth at smaller leaves looks ok. Either way take off any old deficient leaves and the increase in fertiliser should help
@PARAGUAY I put the plants in this tank more than a month ago. I think currently all the leaves of sword are old.

My 2c - I had plants melting from their stem when I had bad fertilizations and bad flow. Bad flow could be the cause of ferts not reaching the plants but first fix your fertilizers and regime. Then if the issues continues work on more costly parts as increasing the flow within the tank.

My 2c - I had plants melting from their stem when I had bad fertilizations and bad flow. Bad flow could be the cause of ferts not reaching the plants but first fix your fertilizers and regime. Then if the issues continues work on more costly parts as increasing the flow within the tank.
Thanks 👍@Flukeworld

it isn't entirely clear how the plant use the liquid carbon molecule.
there is a quite interesting doc [ Aerobic and anaerobic metabolism of glutaraldehyde in a river water-sediment system ] but unfortunately I can't find the full version online anymore.

"Under aerobic conditions, glutaraldehyde was first biotransformed into the intermediate glutaric acid, which then underwent further metabolism ultimately to carbon dioxide."

For quite long time glut and citric acid were my only sources of added "CO2" (approx 4ppm of calculated CO2 in total daily/every other day ) and in those low levels my tank flourished like never before.

Back