• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech, zero skill

Day 2 update
Nothing exciting, just a 50% water change that took 25 minutes. Ordered a pump and hose, hopefully things speed up.
Also ordered some TNC Complete, looks easy enough to use.

You can get a python water changer, but it might be overkill on this tank size, maybe not.

I like TNC, there are others out there and everyone has their favourite; but it'll yield good results used sensibly

You can get a python water changer, but it might be overkill on this tank size, maybe not.

I like TNC, there are others out there and everyone has their favourite; but it'll yield good results used sensibly
I looked at a Python but, because of where this tank is, it would need connecting to the shower and I couldn't find what adapter I'd need. The fact it's about £55+adapter+hook put me off a bit too.

I went with TNC purely because I'd heard it mentioned on YouTube or something and it seemed simple. I know EI works out cheaper in the long run but I think the TNC will only be something like £15 a year on their basic dose.

I looked at a Python but, because of where this tank is, it would need connecting to the shower and I couldn't find what adapter I'd need. The fact it's about £55+adapter+hook put me off a bit too.

I went with TNC purely because I'd heard it mentioned on YouTube or something and it seemed simple. I know EI works out cheaper in the long run but I think the TNC will only be something like £15 a year on their basic dose.
JBL makes a Python-like thing; if you buy the 'big' package it comes with a multi adapter. Big package includes 8 m hose I believe.
I have one it works fine.

Day 3 water change
Didn't take quite as long.
Is this too much flow? Filter is on about half power. Flow
I'm assuming the slight urine smell is ammonia from the substrate?

I've read that crypts normally die back, will it be obvious?

Hello, how many litres is your tank, and how many litres per hour is your filter rated at?

Yes, you’ll notice the crypt leaves dying back. Leaves turn yellow and die.

Regarding the urine smell, I’ve never experienced this, but it would point to ammonia, and if you can smell it, I’d suggest your ammonia is pretty high.

Hello, how many litres is your tank, and how many litres per hour is your filter rated at?

Yes, you’ll notice the crypt leaves dying back. Leaves turn yellow and die.

Regarding the urine smell, I’ve never experienced this, but it would point to ammonia, and if you can smell it, I’d suggest your ammonia is pretty high.
70l, filter is rated up to 1000l/h but adjustable down to 20% i.e. 200l/h.

The odour was just when I was right over the tank but did smell like a particularly small tom cat had been around. It isn't noticeable now I've changed the water.

Hi @mrhoyo

Sounds like Tropica Aquarium Soil contains urea?

JPC
Certainly smells like it.

Day 4 update:
Pump and hose arrived so I now have powered water changes. Is it quicker? Maybe a bit. Is it safer than lugging buckets? Hopefully.

Had a bit of a problem today, I thought I'd give the inside glass a wipe and ended up knocking over the wood. Which then released / uprooted about 5 plants. I have no idea how I got it like in the previous pictures, I swear the wood has changed shape. It will have to stay as is for now.

Also had a decent delivery of other fishy bits:
Heater
Intake sponges (so I don't end up making shrimp soup)
TNC Complete
Seachem Prime.

I don't know if I need the Prime until I get fish but if chucked it in anyway.
When should I fertilise? Tropica app says something like week 4 but it also only says to change water days 3, 7, 10.
20200609_192230.jpg
20200609_192223.jpg

If you follow the Tropica app water change schedule then the urea and other goodies will last until week 4. If you do more water changes then you can bring forward the dosing.

The Prime will also protect your filter bacteria from chlorine in your tap water.
If I start dosing can it cause problems vs the Tropica app? They're having fewer water changes but also say to add shrimp and snails on day 3 to eat algae. The plan I'm working to has shrimp at week 3 or 4.

Hi.
The information given out on the Tropica app is interesting as its in an app, but I can't help think that it hasn't been updated in a while (years)?
Pretty sure that George Farmer advises water changes every day for the first week in more than one of his vids, scaling down the changes as the weeks go by.
He also advises Fertiliser from day one.
Its quite confusing.

We should get some solid advice from these guys and write it up in calendar form?

Yeah Tropica advises shrimp/snails early on!

Hmmmm?

Simon.

Hi.
The information given out on the Tropica app is interesting as its in an app, but I can't help think that it hasn't been updated in a while (years)?
Pretty sure that George Farmer advises water changes every day for the first week in more than one of his vids, scaling down the changes as the weeks go by.
He also advises Fertiliser from day one.
Its quite confusing.

We should get some solid advice from these guys and write it up in calendar form?

Yeah Tropica advises shrimp/snails early on!

Hmmmm?

Simon.

Absolutely, the Tropica app seems to be off - when using that substrate the urea OP smelt would likely kill livestock on day 3.

You can safely dose from the start - I did in my Betta tank with the same Tropica substrate and had no issues. It means you know any problems are not nutrient based which is one less thing to worry about.

If you start to see significant algae on your plants the most likely cause will be too much light for available CO2 while the plants transition from from emerged to immersed growth and adjust to conditions in your tank. Solutions to that would be to keep your light to just 6 hours/day, consider adding a liquid carbon supplement and/or improve flow and maybe dim the light a little to say 75 or 80%. You don’t need to do that right away - you could wait a bit and see how it goes. I’ve no experience of your tank size and light so I can’t say for sure.

With a low tech tank you are basically trying to find a balance between the lights and the available CO2. Once you get that right the plants will slowly but surely grow. If you are lucky that will just work, if not we’ll need to tweak to get there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nicely explained!

Any advice on water change frequency for the first month say?
I know George says
week 1= 50% daily
then?

In my low tech Betta tank I was doing every 2 to 3 days initially, then twice weekly. At one point I had horrid surface scum and was sucking that off daily. 2 months in I’m now down to weekly.

Re. Surface scum, if you get it and you have crypts in there then snip all the leaves they had before you put them in the tank (leave the new ones they are putting out) as crypt leaf melt seems to contribute to surface scum.

Since this is no CO2 being added make sure there is good surface agitation for well oxygenated water and to break up surface scum. I think this tank has a HOB so that’s perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Sounds like Tropica Aquarium Soil contains urea?
It may well do, it would be cheaper than the other ammonia containing options (ammonium sulphate ((NH4)2SO4) etc) and safer to handle.

It would only be when the soil was wet that microbial action converted urea (CO(NH2)2) to ammonia/ammonium.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Day 5:
Water change with the new contraption. It's not quicker but its safer and means I can do other jobs at the same time.
Added some TNC, just 1ml and I'll do it daily for a week. It made more sense than dumping 7ml in and taking it all out tomorrow.

Looked to have a bit of grime on the top tonight, the photos are just after turning the filter back on.
Tried to get pictures of some the crypts so someone more knowledgeable can tell me of they need trimming yet.

20200610_181714.jpg 20200610_180043.jpg 20200610_181706.jpg 20200610_180059.jpg

Looking nice. Personally I wouldn’t trim those crypts yet. Let them grow, and they may even throw out some off spring.

Reactions: Ray
Back