• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech stem plant recommendations pleae

MikeLowndes

My low tech sub tropical nano tank (c50l, 22.5*C) is about 16 months old now.
IMG_6536.jpeg

Most of the ‘beginner’ plants have become well established and are growing well (I wish the Monte Carlo would root to the gravel better though). Crystalwort grows rampantly and partially as a floater so I can easily remove clumps monthly.
My least favourite is the Hygrophila polysperma on the right above, and below
IMG_6557.jpeg

This grows fast but looks straggly. It sometimes suffers from melting further down and pale new leaves if I forget to add Leaf Zone occasionally. It’s also not really growing densely in the substrate - lots of free water roots. Essentially I am considering replacing it.

What I am looking for is something that will grow as well (for regular pruning) but more densely, get well rooted, and look more elegant. Ideas and suggestions welcome!

What I am looking for is something that will grow as well [as Hygrophila polysperma] (for regular pruning) but more densely, get well rooted, and look more elegant. Ideas and suggestions welcome!
Beautiful tank. Lately I've become quite fond of Bacopa caroliniana. It is also a quick growing stem, but to me looks more solidly filled in than Hygrophila and in-the-water-column roots aren't really noticeable on the Bacopa either. Ludwigia is another possibility - does well and comes in red if that works with your colour scheme. Ludwigia does have some water roots, but not so much as the Hygrophila.

Is that a giant vallis winding its way around the tank? It looks great!
How about limnophila heterophylla?
Roots well into the substrate, even a tiny tip cutting will grow. Has elegant whorls of leaves & a group of stems of varying heights can look quite substantial without blocking water flow round the tank.

Hi all,
This grows fast but looks straggly. It sometimes suffers from melting further down and pale new leaves if I forget to add Leaf Zone occasionally. It’s also not really growing densely in the substrate - lots of free water roots. Essentially I am considering replacing it.
A medium sized Cryptocoryne sp.? They would need a <"lot less maintenance">. Possibly <"Ideas for stems">?

I like <"Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia">, it is very low maintenance. You are more than welcome to some of mine, once the weather warms up a bit.

cheers Darrel

Is that a giant vallis winding its way around the tank? It looks great!
How about limnophila heterophylla?
Roots well into the substrate, even a tiny tip cutting will grow. Has elegant whorls of leaves & a group of stems of varying heights can look quite substantial without blocking water flow round the tank.
Yes I let the vallis grow as freely as possible then cut back hard. It’s also pushed out runners and started new plants. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi all,

A medium sized Cryptocoryne sp.? They would need a <"lot less maintenance">. Possibly <"Ideas for stems">?

I like <"Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia">, it is very low maintenance. You are more than welcome to some of mine, once the weather warms up a bit.

cheers Darrel
Hi Darryl thanks a lot for this. I have quite a few crypt in the tank already and ideally need a fast growing stem plant in this position but thanks for the offer!

Beautiful tank. .
Thanks!

What I am looking for is something that will grow as well (for regular pruning) but more densely, get well rooted, and look more elegant. Ideas and suggestions welcome!

Thanks for all the responses, I’ll have a
Look at all three/
Bacopa caroliniana
Ludwigia
limnophila heterophylla

Cheers
Mike

Those are good options, and you might also consider a Rotala. I find 'Blood Red' (original, not SG) grows nicely for me and can get quite pink, but there other rotala options for low tech as well. I see 'H'ra' used from time to time.

Ludwigia repens is also something to consider if you want a bit of color without being too Technicolor; when it's very happy the tips will get coppery to pink, but the lower stem is green.

I will just throw out that I like the look of Limnophila sessiliflora a lot - I think it's very architectural. It has the reputation for being the easiest stem plant out there, but it's classified as a federal noxious weed and can't be legally grown here in the States. I'm quite jealous of everyone with access.

So some Limnophila sessiliflora is now in. Not removed all the Hygro but hoping the new plant will outcompete it. This is deliberately bought as a fast grower for removing nitrates. Let’s see how it goes…
IMG_6561.jpeg

Couple of my favourite nanos popped out to say hello too:
Clown Killifish/Rocket Panchax
IMG_6567.jpeg

Annie’s Goby
IMG_6564.jpeg

hi, you can try hydrocotyle tripartita (sp. japan) it can carpet and grow up as a compact bush, it can even climb out of water, nice fine leaves if light isn't strong, fast growth
plus pogostemon stellatus sp. octopus, very rigid stem plant with fine long leaves

I have Echinodorus purpurea 'Rainer's Kitty' which isn't supposed to grow taller than around 15 cm. So far it seems well behaved, though quite slow growing.
Echinodorus ozelot is attractive, available in red or green leaved variants. It grows around 20-50 cm but I found it became too bulky for my small 57 litre tank!

Got any recommendations for ones that top out around 34-50 cm? I'm considering trying one for the first time, but I don't want to give it half the tank.
The one in the picture (in 60p tank) was Echinodorus Hormanii Green, I don't think it ever grew taller than around 35cm, but if you let it go it will take over the tank.
Easy to keep in check, you just peel off the leaves. Also very cheap & easy plant.

This is making me consider adding some Limnophila sessiliflora myself! Beautiful tank btw!

Back