• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

low filter flow rate

having watch you video clip it does seem slow, I did notice dirt deposit in the incoming water pipe so this implies there will be a build up of dirt with the filter unit - sponges or media may be clogged - strip it down and give it a good clean, even remove the impellor a clean as well.

Dont forget to clean the filter media in spent tank water.

Regardspaul.

Make sure you thoroughly clean all the insides of the pipework, the impellor and its housing and then try running the pump with no media for a second and see what flow rate you get. If the flow rate is still poor then you either have a fault with the pump or, more likely their is some blockage or restriction in the pipework somewhere. Check none of the pipes are squashed or blocked.

If you have good flow rate then return the media. If adding the media slows the flow then it's too restrictive and you need some different media that won't reduce the flow. Fine floss pads are one of the worst things for that so I'd ditch that straight away; stick with coarse foam and media such as ceramic rings and sintered glass media where the water can flow freely around the media so it doesn't restrict the flow.

skeletonw00t said:
Ok I have now fully stripped down all the piping, fliter media etc and there is no reason why the flow rate shouldn't be higher than what it is. I am going to send it back!

before you sent it back see what the flow rate is like with no media inside - see if its like what they say 750lph.

Regards
paul.

All glass wear reduces flow. It's a common issue. Cal aquas is good but I've found it still less potent than the supplied plastic stuff.

skeletonw00t said:

I think your problem will be with the intake side - I am using a glass lily on the outlet side only of which i find the flow is more even / steady rather than a point and squirt which you get from a spray bar. Intake side is standard eheim pipes.

Regards
Paul.

skeletonw00t said:
I guess I will try the standard eheim intake hose and see what the flow is like with that?!

Yeah, give that a go. I think you will see a big difference. The outlet should be fine though with the glass.

skeletonw00t said:
I wonder if my lilly pipe outlet is slowing the flow down too? Can you get better quality ones that arent as thin?

Having a glass outlet will no slow the flow down at all. I my eye's the flow is more even / steady, like I stated earlier I have one and I would not go back to my old method of a spray bar.

Regard
Paul.

Quality and suitability for purpose are two different things, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking? If you mean ones that get wider after the initial barb where you put the hose, then no, there aren't any on the market like this.
There's every chance that the lily is slowing flow by reducing the pressure as it exits but I'm in no position to comment. The main reason lilys came were so high turnover pumps could be used without pinning fish to the glass.
The simple fact that your filter isn't all that powerful for your tank size teamed with the fact that you have a fairly unsuitable set of lilys sort of demonstrates the importance of making sure your equipment is up to the job you want it for before parting with your cash.
You could try to file more holes into the intake but I've tried this and it's very difficult, it's that or either use a more standard intake in glass or the plastic ehieim set and suffer their uglyness.

Back