• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Looking for ideas for tiny scape

GlassWalker

To cut a long story short, I previously got a used 23L Fluval Edge I was going to run as a temperate fish tank. Due to other changes in ideas I've decided not to keep any higher order livestock in it, and given the brutal conditions in the used market it isn't worth selling on.

So my thoughts are, what could I try if I went planted only? It obviously isn't a huge space to play with, which can be both a help and hindrance. So I'd be looking at small plants, preferably ones that don't grow too fast or too big. In tank maintenance will be a major pain due to the small opening on the top.

Would I be thinking on the right tracks if I go low(er) light? This may not be helped in that the previous owner had "upgraded" the lights swapping it with the ones from the bigger 46L model.

Apart from the lights, I don't really want to run anything unless unavoidable. No heater, no filter. House temperatures are typically 18C minimum in winter, 30C max in summer.

I have EI ferts. Big water changes for once wont be a problem since the tank is so small anyway. I could even do CO2 although that might not help in my "slow growth, low maintenance" goal.

Hi all,
So I'd be looking at small plants, preferably ones that don't grow too fast or too big. In tank maintenance will be a major pain due to the small opening on the top.
Just moss, Bolbitis heudelotii and a small Cryptocoryne species? Cryptocoryne x willisii stays small grown low tech.

That would be virtually no maintenance if you stayed away from the quicker growing mosses.

You could get a lot of different textures and tones of green with a range of mosses and liverworts.

cheers Darrel

Those two plants still seem to grow (relatively) big, so I guess I'll see if I can concentrate on mosses. I need some moss for another tank anyway, but been holding off buying due to weather and work travels. Will also have a think about rocks and/or wood usage.

Back