• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Littorella uniflora

MARKCOUSINS

Two weeks ago I purchased a plant called Littorella uniflora at my LFS because I had never heard of it and was interested to see how it would go.Shop staff knew very little about it other than it was rarely seen on sale.I found some info about it on the net but was wondering if anyone has kept or has knowledge of these plants needs,difficulty and potential as an aquatic plant?I would be very gratefull for any help.Cheers Mark

Think I've tried this one too - was never really a "happy plant" with me. I tend to blame temperature, but just a guess!!
Mick

Thanks Darrel that's it!When I purchased it was in rough shape.Some leaves longer and dying off(presume emersed growth)and some shorter thicker leaves emerging(aquatic growth).I cleaned it up removing all the longer leaves just leaving the new growth and planted it in two different spots in the tank with slightly varying conditions.One portion in full light with good flow another in slightly less direct light with very good flow.I have Eleocharis acicularis in the tank that grows well will wait and see how Littorella uniflora does.

Thank Mick one thing I did read about this plant is temperature below 25 degrees C,my tank is at 25 so hope that gives it a chance.Cheers Mark

Thanks Darrel for the information,it looks like the portion I planted under direct light is getting along better.Cheers Mark

I've just planted some Littorella uniflora in my aquarium. Would be interested to hear how others have got on with it. I've previously found it growing in Scottish lochs, both emersed on pebbly shores, and seen it growing fully submerged at a depth of about 1m in a wader survey, though I hear it does grow deeper. That would suggest it doesn't need strong light.

It's a slow grower adapted to biotopes poor in nutrients. Later on, it proliferates through runners. Requires clean, well-oxygenated water. Takes CO2 through roots. In my conditions - very soft, acidic water, silica sand substrate - it grows satisfactorily.

191201-Littorella.png

It's a slow grower adapted to biotopes poor in nutrients. Later on, it proliferates through runners. Requires clean, well-oxygenated water. Takes CO2 through roots. In my conditions - very soft, acidic water, silica sand substrate - it grows satisfactorily.

View attachment 214118
Looks good! I'm growing it alongside Marsilea hirsuta as well, but in aquasoil. I planted the Marsilea hirsuta about 4 months ago, and maaaaan, that stuff is slow growing! I think it will be another 6 months or so before I get full coverage!

Aesthetically, I think the best use for Littorella is in rocky, "mountainous", sparsely vegetated tank. Which is in accord with its natural habitats. In densely vegetated tanks its specific beauty gets suppressed, unnoticed. In other words, I don't like the picture which I've posted earlier today.:)

I've got in low and high energy setups and it's very subdued.
Same. I have it in both CO2-injected and low tech setups and not much joy from either. The high tech is heated to 25C which might be too hot for this plant - the low tech is unheated so around 20C. Both are 'high fertiliser' either EI (high tech) or scaled-down EI dosing.

I've grown Litorella uniflora in every which way now; hard water, soft water, low tech, high tech, low light, high light, blackwater.

The one environment where it performed best and actively grew, was the low tech, low light, softwater environment. It did take a while to get going though, like in the 6 months region before I noticed proper growth.

That was kept at 22c, with the only fluctuations being the heatwaves during the summer where it got to 29c.

The one environment where it performed best and actively grew, was the low tech, low light, softwater environment. It did take a while to get going though, like in the 6 months region before I noticed proper growth.

That was kept at 22c, with the only fluctuations being the heatwaves during the summer where it got to 29c.
Thank you for that, as that sounds exactly like the set up I have mine in. I shall have patience with it :)

Back