• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Little bit of nature

Hi everyone I've been a member here for a few years But never really posted a journal or anything to show of my tanks so I decided to show off my newest tank (only remaining tank)

It's a aquael 205litre bow fronted aquarium

Size: 120cm x 40cm x 50cm

Lighting: 3x 39w t5s

Hardscape:
Redmoor wood + seiryu stone

Substrate:
Ada Amazonia aqua soil + Ada sand

Equipment:
Eheim jaquer 150w + hydor karolia power head + pressurised co2 FE co2 art solenoid and regulator

Plants:
Echinodorus 'Rose'
Echinodorus bleheri
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
Hygrophilia corymbosa "compacta"
Blyxa japonica
Anubias nana
Anubias nana "mini"
Microsorum Narrow Leaf
Microsorum Trident
Crinum calamistratum
Sagittaria subulata

Fish will be getting more very soon:
9 x harlequin rasboras
6 x oto
4 x bronze corys

Right where do I start this tank has been setup for about 4 months only had co2 on it for the last month (the difference was crazy the last month I've had more growth than I did the whole time) sorry in advance for the iPhone pics not the best. Hope you enjoy

this my view from my sofa

IMG_1943.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG

12935237_10209238444177052_1248414094_n (1).jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the Mrs said I was only a load it if it suits the room so she had a say in the colour but nothing on the inside :)

Yeah all I seem to watch while I'm not at work with my little one

Only a single tank but it's a gorgeous one :wideyed:

- dimensions are very nice for aquascaping and fish!

9 x harlequin rasboras
Add another dozen or so harlequins - they are fascinating to watch as they patrol their tank - a group will form then separate then come back together again ... if you want more color variants, add in some of the "purple" harlequins (some have a brilliant gold head "spot", others brilliant orange), with harlequins you can have more males than females (not quite as colorful) as males will dance & display & spar a bit with other males, but don't harass the females.
Their spawning is good viewing as well (they'll deposit eggs on the under surface of leaves)
I kept a school with chocolate gouramis so it was easy for the harlequins to control the tank - I ended up removing them as I needed to overfeed in order to ensure the chocos got enough - it was only then I realized how much their presence had determined tank dynamics ... did miss them but the chocos took over as The Entertainers ;)

Alto

I no I did have a few setup up had to take them down when I moved BUT I am looking at getting a optiwhite 2ft tank for the hall way

Yeah it seems a good size to arrange a aquascape and thank you it means a lot :)

Yeah I absolutely love the way they school n the way they look they are stunning I have always liked them, I am planning on adding a few more just didn't want to add to many at once and then never got round to adding anymore yet, I will be adding more very soon because I've always wanted a decent size group and interestingly I to want a different species in my tank but maybe not a large schooling group, was thinking a pair of electric blue Rams but was worried about them actually being able to get to any of the food seeing how fast the harlequins are.

Rams can be fast too ;)
- also they'll go round searching out any missed bits

Electric blue rams are not so easy to sex, so you'd have more luck in establishing a "pair" if you begin with several juveniles (rams tend to be shortlived (1-3 years) & often begin spawning at a few months) - they also seem to be quite mild tempered.
If you're wanting to stay on a smaller budget, spend some time watching the fish in the shop tanks as you can often "guess" male/female based upon behaviour.
Note that ram shipments often arrive as predominantly male (this is likely done via pH control at time of spawning/raising the young fry), also young juveniles that are brightly colored are often helped along with hormones (affecting longterm survival & contributing to sterility) - though M. ramirezi does begin to show colors at a younger age than some.
Buying from an experienced reputable shop is worthwhile with these fish.

I am looking at getting a optiwhite 2ft tank for the hall way
:shh: :thumbup:

Alto

Thanks for the that I just assumed as the Rams are always down around the plants and mainly hidden away I would have to over feed but yeah there is always a few bits here and there that reach the bottom

Yeah I was meaning to get a few but I originally got told years ago you could only keep two in one tank in case they attacked the odd one out during spawning but since I've get the normal German blue Rams in a larger group,

I was worried about that normally I get my stock from either emperor Tropicals (pfk best plant retailer 2015) or Maidenhead aquatics both in Plymouth but with Rams I wanted a decent line of them not just any old ones :)

Greenfinger2 thanks mate took a while to get it how I wanted it :)
Hi Richard I absolutely love your tank have you got any more up to date pic of the tank and fish, would love to see them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi Richard I absolutely love your tank have you got any more up to date pic of the tank and fish, would love to see them.

Thanks mate :) those pics where only taking yesterday, I don't have any others I can try take some better ones when my step dad comes around he is a professional photographer he takes much better photos than me lol

Thanks mate :) those pics where only taking yesterday, I don't have any others I can try take some better ones when my step dad comes around he is a professional photographer he takes much better photos than me lol
Look forward to seeing them

still waiting for my step dad to take some decent pics but a bit of an update i have added a large java fern to the wood and a pair of what i think are apistogramma macmasteri not 100% on this though

IMG_2057.JPG

I've got an Aquael tank as well, its the classic 100, nowhere near as good looking as yours though, well actually its pretty lame lol.

I've got an Aquael tank as well, its the classic 100, nowhere near as good looking as yours though, well actually its pretty lame lol.

Lol there nice tanks mate only reason I got this one is because the Mrs said it goes with the decoration on the front room (only way I could have one) Also I got a great deal on it aswell from the shop

only problem I had was I had to add more light for my high tech setup which was easy enough I just added another 39w t5 under the hood

You got any pics or a journal of your tank mate?

Back