• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Little 20l AIO

Thanks for the kind words LFNfan.

I’m considering removing the top left glass cup and maybe trying to attach the rocks inside to suction cups instead.
I had the concept of a floating rock island but it’s not looking as clean as I hoped.

Last edited:
Half the plants arrived. Thanks to Horizon Aquatics and Sid Scapes.
Also added a light to the left side, thanks to Riverwood Aquatics.
I’m aware the Cryptocoryne Nuri will melt so am ready to handle that.
I also did not order enough needle leaf. I will get more when the other items are in stock (Hobbit and Serimbu Brown).
I’m still not happy with the glass jar. I have a few ideas for that though.
IMG_1956.jpeg
IMG_1957.jpeg
IMG_1960.jpeg

Also… trying to keep the equipment area tidy

Attachments

• IMG_1958.jpeg
    IMG_1958.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
Very nice....like aquatic bonsai!
I have a tiny tank & finding plants with proportionately small leaves is tricky without resorting to, in my experience, unruly moss!

It’s the day after planting and the water is crystal clear and the Buce Brownie Ghost from Sid Scapes is looking good.
Added some tiny bits of various botanicals today along with a miniature drop checker.
IMG_1964.jpeg

IMG_1968.jpeg

Very minor update today.

I was not feeling great about the co2 not fully off gassing by the following morning. Perhaps it’s not an issue but it gave me something to tinker with.
To remedy this situation I added a second air stone and placed a small USB pump to churn the bubbles and water around the end chamber.
It has been super effective, now the drop checker returns to the offgassed baseline colour after four hours.
The end chamber is even more packed but I’m happier with the extra air.

I also dropped a little pack of purigen in too, I added some botanicals to prepare the tank for shrimp and build some more food but was not a fan of the brown water. The Purigen cleared the colour in just a few hours.

Shrimp should arrive in the next two days.
Still awaiting the remaining plants.

Attachments

• IMG_1986.jpeg
    IMG_1986.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1989.jpeg
    IMG_1989.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1993.jpeg
    IMG_1993.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
Frogbit and Red Root Floaters on day 6.

The red root floaters pot had burst in the post so they are starting on the back foot (half the pot was dead).

IMG_1995.jpeg

How’s the tank?
I’ve really been contemplating one of these for a while, to set up as a little reef tank.

What’s the flow like?
Can you really see through that back panel to the sump? Assuming it’s just frosted glass.

Nothing to compare the flow to but the co2 bubbles get everywhere (when I shined a torch in to check). The leaves on the bottom right sway a fair bit but the bottom left barely sway if at all.

I would say that a few things surprised me.
The separation of the front and the back is a white plastic. It’s just barely transparent enough to show the change from black foam to white filter media in certain light.
The sides and back of the filter area use a frosted film. For the cost I expected all glass and the frosting to be on the actual glass itself.
Lastly, the chambers go all the way to the top so the wires have to come out the right side. I hoped to have run everything out the left but it’s not viable.

If I was to ever replace it, I would probably see if I could get something custom made, full glass and with room for pipes and cables in the chamber tops.

That said, I’m really really happy with it. It looks great, super clear glass and hidden equipment. I think reef specific all in one tanks have an extra intake at the lower left. I don’t know if that’s important or not.

Not good with technology but think this may work… recording of flow:

Removing video as it keeps full screen playing and I don’t know how to stop it.

Last edited:
Not good with technology but think this may work… recording of flow:

I already run a reef AIO. I was hoping that the DOOA would have that ADA feel to it and offer a little touch of quality.
By the sounds of it you feel the tank is lacking that quality given the brand and price point ?

I already run a reef AIO. I was hoping that the DOOA would have that ADA feel to it and offer a little touch of quality.
By the sounds of it you feel the tank is lacking that quality given the brand and price point ?
It’s my first tank so my expectations may not be valid. The glass is really amazing but yeah, I would have liked the filter section to be full frosted glass instead of plastic. I don’t know what the cost would be to custom make it like that, personally I got the DOOA instead of the Fluval flex version as cost is not a problem for me.

It’s my first tank so my expectations may not be valid. The glass is really amazing but yeah, I would have liked the filter section to be full frosted glass instead of plastic. I don’t know what the cost would be to custom make it like that, personally I got the DOOA instead of the Fluval flex version as cost is not a problem for me.
If you’re not 100% happy with it and it’s your first tank, then I’d say your inclinations are correct and the quality isn’t quite there.
Shame, because ADA tanks are typically beautifully made.

I think I may look into making my own.

Cheers, and best of luck going forward.

Cryptocoryne Lutea Hobbit came into stock at Aquarium Gardens and was just delivered.

Planting it was a pain as it uprooted the Pava. Turns out that planting too close together between rocks and glass in aqua soil is very tricky. Much root is exposed but the soil was getting stirred up quite badly.

I also removed the glass jar. The Buce Ghost was not a fan of being moved, the leaves had been supported so now it’s a bit saggy. I have a second bit on the way to bulk the left side out a bit more.

Here is 20 mins after planting the new stuff:

IMG_2061.jpeg

Back