• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting options on custom tank

Hopkino

I’m looking at lighting options for a 200cm tank on order - 65 high & 35 wide.
The tank will be framed with glass sliding lids. With a budget of £350 what are my best options and why? Is my budget unrealistic?

I’m looking at lighting options for a 200cm tank on order - 65 high & 35 wide.
The tank will be framed with glass sliding lids. With a budget of £350 what are my best options and why? Is my budget unrealistic?
79" x 26" x 14"
125gal.

Please don’t get me wrong - I appreciate the views of those more experienced than me., but any views on shocking livestock with a mere on/off function for these? I was hoping for an experiential opinion on full spectrum lighting with pre-set or programmable functions with sunrise/sunset options & my apologies if the ambiguity of my opening didn’t lean in this direction. If my budget is unrealistic , pointing this out would be helpful. I appreciate that few people have an open wallet, and I’m not one that does, but there must be alternatives to the kind of lighting I might rig up in my back garden or find in B&Q.

Please don’t get me wrong - I appreciate the views of those more experienced than me., but any views on shocking livestock with a mere on/off function for these? I was hoping for an experiential opinion on full spectrum lighting with pre-set or programmable functions with sunrise/sunset options & my apologies if the ambiguity of my opening didn’t lean in this direction. If my budget is unrealistic , pointing this out would be helpful. I appreciate that few people have an open wallet, and I’m not one that does, but there must be alternatives to the kind of lighting I might rig up in my back garden or find in B&Q.
Don't get me wrong, this is a very efficient light. As you have mentioned, £350 is not a very high budget, and for this I could offer 1x Chihiros Vivid 2 which would be sufficient for 90P (90x45x45cm, max 100x50x50cm). If you are looking for something controllable, maybe take a look at 2nd hand options, if you will be able to find 2x Chihiros RGB 901 Plus.
Will it be an open top, where you can hang lights above the tank, or with cover/hood?

Regards.

Look second hand. People swap out lights all the time so you can get some pretty good deals via ebay/facebook.

For that size tank you budget is more fantasy than realistic... ;)
One of cheaper systems would be 6 ai prime
Freshwater LEDs @ $264 US.
$1584 plus total.

At under 1/2 that cost
Amazon product ASIN B07YYY4SSZ
Actually that doesn't quite fit
3 panels are too long, 4 are for wide tanks 2x2.

They have different size panels though.

There is the possibility of "smart lighting" or "stage lighting" but since they are not aquarium centric the programming and set upis ? to me as to things like ramping ect..

Last edited:
For that size tank you budget is more fantasy than realistic... ;)
One of cheaper systems would be 6 ai prime
Freshwater LEDs @ $264 US.
$1584 plus total.

At under 1/2 that cost
Amazon product ASIN B07YYY4SSZ
Actually that doesn't quite fit
3 panels are too long, 4 are for wide tanks 2x2.

They have different size panels though.

There is the possibility of "smart lighting" or "stage lighting" but since they are not aquarium centric the programming and set upis ? to me as to things like ramping ect..
This is a great, high-end light and if I'm not wrong, it's the closest to the sun spectrum.

This is a great, high-end light and I'm wrong, it's the closest to the sun spectrum.

aliexpress.JPG

I meant AI company is the closest to the sun spectrum, but pop is good too and it looks like, it would fit.
Yea AI Prime is the go to upper tier light. Was much better when they were $200 each..
popbloom2.JPG

NOTE: Panels are 50cm x 4. One would need to see what "fits" in ones space. Keep cabling in mind.
Other one was 75cm x2 panels.
PERSONALLY I don't actually like their diode nm choices or channels BUT that is a personal choice.
They will customize and I have designed some panels that look great BUT any canned programs become worthless.
Below traded moonlight for sunrise/sunset.
Older model.

dsunbetter3.JPG

Attachments

• dsunycustom2.JPG
    dsunycustom2.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Appreciate the honesty & this was invited in my original. Fantasy or penny pinching aside, I’m open to options and reliant on the experience of others in order to avoid too many mistakes. I’ve learned to plan and I’d prefer to avoid rushing into a scenario I’ll regret. Better to fork out once, even if beyond a fantasy budget, than to have to bin an amateur whim and start again right 🤔
I’ve been trying to read back on previous posts, despite how many there are, and Week Aqua seem to have ironed out initial difficulties. These pushes my initial budget the L900 x 2 seems to fit the bill. On the other hand 2 x Aquasky 27w comes under budget, but I’d need generic rear mounting brackets to suspend these, potentially compromising the aesthetics of my intention. The range of lighting seems endless & with a 4 yr old a mortgage and other lifestyle choices, I’m comfortable but not rich.
I’ve always been into gardening & I view aquascaping as an indoor equivalent. I’m familiar with horticultural demands, both as a hobbyist and in high tech indoor grows 😉 but do feel out of my depth when it comes to aquatic planting, more so as I need to also explore CO2 options. If my budget was pushed to £500 - £650 where would this lead me? My intention is to ensure that I have the right equipment to invest in something that I now have the time to pursue without having too many financial regrets or being lumbered with equipment that I should never have purchased. 🤨

I will repeat my important question: will it be a tank with cover/hood or open top? Cover/hood narrowing options to not many and more expensive.

Week Aqua for instance P900 would be a very good option, but only from China, where you risk custom chargers. Unless you will take 3x 60cm, then it is less likely you will be charged extra.

Appreciate the honesty & this was invited in my original. Fantasy or penny pinching aside, I’m open to options and reliant on the experience of others in order to avoid too many mistakes. I’ve learned to plan and I’d prefer to avoid rushing into a scenario I’ll regret. Better to fork out once, even if beyond a fantasy budget, than to have to bin an amateur whim and start again right 🤔
I’ve been trying to read back on previous posts, despite how many there are, and Week Aqua seem to have ironed out initial difficulties. These pushes my initial budget the L900 x 2 seems to fit the bill. On the other hand 2 x Aquasky 27w comes under budget, but I’d need generic rear mounting brackets to suspend these, potentially compromising the aesthetics of my intention. The range of lighting seems endless & with a 4 yr old a mortgage and other lifestyle choices, I’m comfortable but not rich.
I’ve always been into gardening & I view aquascaping as an indoor equivalent. I’m familiar with horticultural demands, both as a hobbyist and in high tech indoor grows 😉 but do feel out of my depth when it comes to aquatic planting, more so as I need to also explore CO2 options. If my budget was pushed to £500 - £650 where would this lead me? My intention is to ensure that I have the right equipment to invest in something that I now have the time to pursue without having too many financial regrets or being lumbered with equipment that I should never have purchased. 🤨
How would your garden look in never ending cloudy days??? ;)

1 LED Watt/gallon is sort of the minimum for a big tank that will eventually fill in.

2x Aquaskys? Plastic plants come to mind. Or did I misunderstand you?
There are a doz like lights:
Amazon product ASIN B0BG8PDN6VAmazon product ASIN B0BYSK8V32
In all honesty if one buys a large light and runs it at say 50% it will last a lot longer than one run at 100%, in general. The thermal management is usually bare minimum. fortunately leds themselves have improved to take higher heating.
second the more expensive lights use PWM constant current drivers which leads to more efficiency. Constant voltage arrays have current limiting resistors that will lower diode wattage via heating.
Modern designs are more efficient but you still do not get the same photon efficiency as you do using constant current.
Now as a KNOCK on dsuny they are one of the few lights that use linear drivers as compared to switching drivers. That could be as efficient as switching or less than resistors.

The 2 panel Dsuny translates to $283 pounds at the current exchange rate.
The Turing controller is a bit old school but as with most light companies selling high output lights most of the r&d is going into the higher margin reef lighting.

Lets push the budget a bit more.. and you can check out the line a bit more.
$786 for 2.

OR 2 slims.. $440
200 watt 12400 lumens
WRGB II Series - 90
-Power consumption: 100W
-Luminous flux: 6.200 Lumen
-Width 14 cm
-Length 90 cm
-Height 1.8 cm
-Suitable for aquariums of size 90 cm
Hang or figure a way to change legs.
Or these for probably rimless tanks..

Seems you are leaning "domestic supply-er" which is quite understandable but it limits your choices a bit.
Also seems like you may want an "app".
It would be helpful to define your "needs" (must haves) vs "wants"' (maybe haves).

any views on shocking livestock with a mere on/off function for these?

All of my lights are simply on/Off, and although I don't keep skittish fish like Discus or Tiger Shovelnose, my fish certainly dont seem to care. The living room naturally lights up all morning and then my lights come on around 2-3pm.

Back