• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LFS opinion on cycling & bacteria

Ah I think you misunderstood me. The British expression “call it a day” just means to do nothing further. So in my context I’m saying that placing a fish in a bowl with no further research, effort or interest is objectively bad.
Ah, understood, then I will retract a few statements. I am quite used to being immediately shut down on certain... other communities within the hobby when it comes to presenting alternative advice.

I may have taken your reply as knee jerk retaliation, so I apologize.

Yes you are absolutely right. I fear its common with other animals as well, even common pets like dogs and cats. Neglect is a horrible thing when in the context as seeing these animals as mere décor rather than a responsibility. The bright side, in my opinion, is that this hobby seems to have some form of a weird learning curve. Its challenging at first because... you don't know anything, and the stress of the overwhelming amount of scattered information scares you, but the more you learn about the ecology of aquatic environments and start putting pieces together, the more you realize how much you really never needed to know in the first place just to have a stress free aquarium... if that makes any sense.

I am quite used to being immediately shut down on certain... other communities within the hobby when it comes to presenting alternative advice.
We’re a nice community here. We have some ‘lively’ discussions at time but generally, the discussion here is open and thoughtful. Animal welfare is a subject which may get heated and have a difference of opinions but at the heart of it, everyone just wants our pets to have the best life we can give them.
I may have taken your reply as knee jerk retaliation, so I apologize.
No worries. I didn’t take offence. 👍🏻
Its challenging at first because... you don't know anything, and the stress of the overwhelming amount of scattered information scares you, but the more you learn about the ecology of aquatic environments and start putting pieces together, the more you realize how much you really never needed to know in the first place just to have a stress free aquarium... if that makes any sense.
I’m always learning something new. That’s what keeps the hobby interesting. I agree, it’s easy to over complicate it early on. Once you have an understanding of the ecosystem you’re trying to replicate though, you start to relax and it becomes easier.

Back