• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leopard Cory Looking Pale?

Yes some of my plants have lead weights in them still. A lot of my plants tend to end up loose and out the sand so I'm constantly replanting them.

There are a lot of snails in the tan
I haven't removed the grass yet, weirdly enough it seems to be doing well but happy to remove it if it will cause an issue.

I almost wish I could return my last two fiah and just let the tank mature for a while, I'm so gutted

Hi all,
I almost wish I could return my last two fish and just let the tank mature for a while, I'm so gutted
I know it is horrible when fish die, but please don't beat yourself up over it. I'd guess that we have nearly all been there, <"I certainly have">.
, weirdly enough it seems to be doing well but happy to remove it if it will cause an issue.
It definitely can't grow underwater in the longer term. They "last" in fish tanks because they take a long time to die, but "dying slowly" doesn't offer the benefits that a growing plant does, however slowly it may be growing, if that makes sense?
A lot of my plants tend to end up loose and out the sand so I'm constantly replanting them.
They should root and not come out. If they have been in the tank for a while and still aren't rooted? That would suggest that conditions aren't really that suitable for plant growth.

That is partially why I like a floating plant for the <"Duckweed Index">, it takes substrate, light and CO2 availability out of the equation.

cheers Darrel

Yes a lot of them don't seem to be rooting well.

Not sure why, I have the mesh bags with aqua soil beneath the sand. The water temp is at 23 degrees.

I have a HOB filter.

I use the TNC complete every week.

When I do a water change I now tend to dose the whole tank with prime.

I have reduced feeding the fish.

I do have some duckweed, some water lettuce and some other floating plant!

Perhaps I am not planting the roots of the plants deep enough?

Would it be fine to pull up some of the plants and replant them within the tank?

Last edited:
Not sure if this video will work..

Attachments

• 16826993105295859500771800429692.jpg
    16826993105295859500771800429692.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 111
  • 16826993368578933626870430528549.jpg
    16826993368578933626870430528549.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 98
  • 16826993469677204660749268113088.jpg
    16826993469677204660749268113088.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 97
  • 16826993594688309010437640887019.jpg
    16826993594688309010437640887019.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 101
  • 16826993771792679199039935862271.jpg
    16826993771792679199039935862271.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 105
Hi all,
They look all right, can you turn your light intensity up any (and or move it more centrally)? I'd guess some of your plant problems may be just <"low light intensity">. Light is really difficult to judge from photos, but your Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) looks quite "leggy".

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
When planting, most of the plants will tolerate having more than just the roots below the surface of the sand, if that makes sense. In a way they are a little bit different from terrestrial plants.
Trying to keep plants anchored down while burying only roots can be very difficult when you are dealing with immature plants that dont have well developed roots yet. There is simply not enough root to bury.
For stem plants and some others you can bury the bottom end of the stem(/plant) several centimeters into the sand. The plant will start putting out roots on the whole area that is buried (and sometimes even further up as well) I usually put mine all the way down to the glass, planting pincettes help a lot with this (they dont have to be expensive ones though, mine are from AliExpress 😅)
You wouldn't want to hit your glass though, to the mesh bags of aquasoil would be ideal for stem plants.

There are a few exceptions to the "bury however much you like" though.
Rhizome plants like Java fern, Bolbitis, Anubias, Bucephalandra ++ (basically any plant that can grow on wood/stone) must not have the rhizome buried, they will rot. The finer roots that come from the rhizome though, those can be in the sand.
Also, Vallisneria commonly doesn't like to have the "crown" (base of the leaves) buried very deep. For this plant a good tip can be to support the base with a few pebbles until the roots can get a good grip.

Feel free to ask about specific plants if you are unsure 👍

We really would recommend getting all of the terrestrial plants out of the water. They aren't doing you any good in there, and they are slowly dying. If you put them above the water with the roots into the water, you turn the plant from a negative to a positive. It will grow better and faster, and the roots will allow it to contribute to keeping your water parameters good.

I've noticed my water was running a bit low, so I removed 10 litres, but added 25 litres, treated the whole tank , fitler is doing better now. Removed a couple of plants that seemed overgrown, along with the non aquatic ones, and replanted a couple that hadn't got firm roots. Also removed a bit of weird almost hair like green stuff that was lurking in some of the corners.

Is it possible you're being too liberal with your water conditioner? I was ignorantly doing the same and had bottom feeders die, in some of my earlier escapades. Most water conditioners remove a lot of oxygen from the water. Im almost of the opinion now that a little extra chlorine is less hurtful than extra water conditioner...

Yes a lot of them don't seem to be rooting well.

Not sure why, I have the mesh bags with aqua soil beneath the sand. The water temp is at 23 degrees.

I have a HOB filter.

I use the TNC complete every week.

When I do a water change I now tend to dose the whole tank with prime.

I have reduced feeding the fish.

Perhaps I am not planting the roots of the plants deep enough?

Would it be fine to pull up some of the plants and replant them within the tank?
You could try those terracotta rings what your potted plants come in,weights the plants to substrate, advantage to in that it's easier to move them later
Works well with stems just put several together works for crypts and some rooted plants Ceramic noodles do it with care

I will look into the terracota rings, most of the plants seem more stable now.

Just did a 30 litre water change.

One thing I notice is often the cories don't seem to be eating their food, I feel like I drop it near them but before they eat it it's covered in snails!

Can you post another picture of the fish when you get a chance please? Just want to see if there is any improvement in their appearance.

They are hard to catch but managed to get a few photos.

Attachments

• 20230502_202549.jpg
    20230502_202549.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • 20230502_202531.jpg
    20230502_202531.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
They look ok to me, barbels still pretty short but I think that’s damage from a while back and they appear to be growing back.

Keep up the water changes, try not to feed them too much (they won’t starve) and leave the tank well alone and let the plants grow in. Soon you’ll be able to add some new fish and wonder what all the stress was about!

I feed them normally twice a day, one pellet of their food. Sometimes just once per day.

I have LOADS of snails. Honestly, there are babies popping up every day.

I feed them normally twice a day, one pellet of their food. Sometimes just once per day.

I have LOADS of snails. Honestly, there are babies popping up every day.
Once a day is fine, although they can go a lot longer than that without food.

Last edited:
Back