• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED DIY

Nice btw you can go with something like this.
IMG-20180914-WA0001.jpg

Yh even that looks good its similar but this one is more sleek

Last edited:
Hey @Chris may i think they probably changed the link but here is another one
High Power LED Matrix 1W 3W 5W 10W 20W 30W 50W 100W Warm Pure Cold Natue White Light Bulb Lamp SMD COB 3000K 6000K 10000K Indoor
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ZdgpTKp

And if you read carefully i have used 1w leds its up to you what you want to use. But just make sure you have a proper heat sink when using higher watts led chips.

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/rad-p3698_1000/radiators/stonecold/

3w leds i would go for.
And dont hang up the light too far you will loose par 65cm is too far.
I would use 60degrees lenses for the front let's and back with 90 degrees lenses in the middle for a good spread. The heat sink is 15cm w , your tank is 45cm so I would use 60d for side to get the tank lit properly.

Tank is same size as this was quoted for so using all info for this as a basis. Never attempted anything like this but up for the challenge. Looks as good as branded lights if not better with the customisation possibilities but all for a fraction of the cost! Any help with shopping and instructions once started would be great. Just at planning stage atm and trying to get my head around it all

Nice thread... I have been looking at samsung SMD's, plan was to use LM561 rigid boards no soldering needed, I wanted to have something that was somewhat waterproof, have not found a good waterproofing plan yet. You can get a fully mounted 80watt LM561 setup for roughly 100€ maybe 110€ with shipping... this setup will give you roughly 15000 lumens or roughly 93lumen/liter

If you go for the 30-40€ more expensive LM301 setup (no LM301 6500k yet) you would be looking at more than 100lumens/liter

Nice thread... I have been looking at samsung SMD's, plan was to use LM561 rigid boards no soldering needed, I wanted to have something that was somewhat waterproof, have not found a good waterproofing plan yet. You can get a fully mounted 80watt LM561 setup for roughly 100€ maybe 110€ with shipping... this setup will give you roughly 15000 lumens or roughly 93lumen/liter

If you go for the 30-40€ more expensive LM301 setup (no LM301 6500k yet) you would be looking at more than 100lumens/liter

You can get fake 5630 (LM561) led strips. And to water proof where will you be placing the leds under a cover or hanging them?

I havent used them but tbh chinese leds never failed me. You can find any ones you like even the samsung ones are available Here is a link:
10pcs/Lot leds 0.5m LED bar light smd 5050 5630 7020 8520 4014 12V led rigid strip white warm cold RGB under cabinet kitchen
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bdWIWoi5

Yes...i know one Alibaba dealer that deals in original Samsung and bridgelux emitters. They make panels for some of the expensive fixtures...it is from them I was looking at 4x90cm dimmable bars, 80watt samsung lm561...15000lumens...they would give me same lumens output as my current 2x45w t5, but driven at 28w

Its up to you but to be honest it doesnt matter as chinese leds vs samsung leds are not far different. Maybe samsung leds are a little bit better but for the price i would just buy the chinese ones as to replace those leds will be cheap anyways. The life span is the same as on all led chips on the market but again it depends. You can end up getting samsung ones and they may get blown up in a year it goes vice versa. Anyways good luck with the build if you have any questions please do ask.

Hey guys, I have a question about the output of the TC420/TC421. What happens to the output if the said channel is set to 100%? Is it still the same 12V that was input to the TC421? Does the TC421 dim using a PWM signal which pulses at a set frequency to 'dim' the LEDs?

can't speak for the TC421 but when I was testing my TC420, prior to installation, with a 12v input the output was always 12v irrespective of % setting. As I understand it the PWM duration on/off is the dimmer. HTH

Hey guys, I have a question about the output of the TC420/TC421. What happens to the output if the said channel is set to 100%? Is it still the same 12V that was input to the TC421? Does the TC421 dim using a PWM signal which pulses at a set frequency to 'dim' the LEDs?

the TC420 or 421 works on 12 to 24 volt.. It puts out what you put in.. Thus you could put 16 volts in and than it puts 16 volt out..And this goes for anything between 12 and 24 volt.

If you want to control something just on (100%) and off (0%) at 12 volt you can simply use the Jump setting in the timer schedule than there will be no modulated output and it functions as a on/off switch.

can't speak for the TC421 but when I was testing my TC420, prior to installation, with a 12v input the output was always 12v irrespective of % setting. As I understand it the PWM duration on/off is the dimmer. HTH

That kinda depends on how you measure it. If you hook a <simple voltage meter> with a number display this goes also for a multimeter set to DC voltage. It still is registered and displayed as a voltage drop. But indeed in reality it is the on/off duty cycle that stays the same voltage and current, but it goes on off so fast it is registered as a lower voltage at 50% duty cycle.. Because the measuring device will be shut on and off at the same fast cycle and it will display a lower voltage.

Ive used PWM to control DC pump on the filter for an aqaurium and used such a voltage meter to know at what output i am to regulate flow. :) Running at half the speed it displayed 6 volt.

It was this setup
35l4sbq-jpg.jpg

The knob DC motor controller goes the the little green circuit board that is a PWM controller.
The voltage meter was hooked to it parallel with the motor. Used it to know where i'm at for the speed it ran..

Last edited:
Back