• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Laymans terms

gollum456

right, i have got my co2 running, now i want do add dry ferts.

quite simple, i have a 300 litre tank and want to make up a batch to last a month. what do i need?

thanks in advance

Hi,
Well for this size tank I would bother with batches. Batches are really only necessary when the teaspoon dosages are awkward fractions like 3/32 teaspoon. Because your tank is big the dosages are very nearly integer values or easy fractions. The dosing numbers are simple as I just rounded everything up. Go light on the MgSO4 and increase as needed (this is a money saving manoeuvre):

3X a week=> 1 teaspoon KNO3 + 1/2 teaspoon KH2PO4 + 2 teaspoon MgSO4
2X a week (alternate days)=> 1/2 teaspoon trace mix
50% (or greater) water change at least once a week.

Recipes vary but these are a good baseline numbers for this size tank.

If your tap water is soft or if you're using RO/DI for some reason then use whatever remineralizing agent you have to bring the GH up to around 3-4. If you're using tap and it's already hard then no adjustments required.

If you really like batches then click this link=> JamesC's Dosing Calculator

Cheers,

i have looked at james planted tank andhe doesnt say anything about the mgSo4. what is that one? magnesium sulphate? what is it for?

also why the 50% water changes? is it to do with the fish?

and lastly i have been adding tropica tpn+ should i have been doing 50% changes with this too? would it explain why i'm having some fungus problems with the fish, as i only do a w/c once a fortnight. (now once a week).

thanks in advance

gollum456 said:
i have looked at james planted tank andhe doesnt say anything about the mgSo4. what is that one? magnesium sulphate? what is it for?
See the thread=> About Magnesium

gollum456 said:
also why the 50% water changes? is it to do with the fish?
It's to do with both fish and plants. Check the following threads;
Algae questions and any other advice...
Too many water changes?

gollum456 said:
...and lastly i have been adding tropica tpn+ should i have been doing 50% changes with this too? would it explain why i'm having some fungus problems with the fish, as i only do a w/c once a fortnight. (now once a week).
As the links above discuss, it's not a good idea to ignore water changes in a CO2 enriched tanks regardless of what nutrient products are being used. There is no relation to fungus though.

Cheers,

absolutely fantastic Clive. every answer i need. especially about the water changes. i, like many others had made the assuption of water changes to combat nutrient build up. how wrong! thank you once again for a clear and concise answer.

Back