• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Karlie flamingo.

Hi again all now I think about it it becomes apparent.Outside my house I have a water butt so a while back I came up with the idea of turning it into a daphnie farm and I get tonnes of live daphnie from it just keep adding some yeast and pea flour.

Anyway to cut a long story short a week or two ago I thined out my plants and rather than throw them away I tossed them into a separate plastic box.Within a week this water had turned bright green so I thought dapnida like green water so I netted out some and put them in with the plants.A few days later I had a look for my green water daphnie and not a flea in sight all dead so whatever Lincoln pond plants are using it's bloody leathal can anybody tell me if I can claim compensation for this mess.
Thanks again all who have contributed to this thread I only hope one day I will be experienced enough to help someone in my shoes.

Regards Martin steele

Hi all,
A few days later I had a look for my green water daphnie and not a flea in sight all dead
You could have a systemic insecticide that would combine being very toxic to crustaceans (like Daphnia and shrimps) with having very long persistence in the plant and/or tank water. There are some figures in the <"PFK article">.
Also whatever Lincoln pond plants are using it's bloody lethal
It would be whatever pesticides they are using in SE Asia. From my experience of working in the Horticultural industry, people don't tend to worry too much about the <"toxicity of the pesticides they use">, and are only willing to clean their act up in a very strong legislative environment. Often pesticides <"that are banned in the EU"> are still widely used in other countries.
can anybody tell me if I can claim compensation for this mess.
As there is a disclaimer probably not. I don't know enough consumer law to know what the legal situation is. I would definitely contact them and see what they have to say for themselves.

Having been a member of this forum for a while I've seen enough "shrimp death" horror stories to know now to keep well away from plants imported from SE Asia, if shrimps are likely to be involved at any point.

cheers Darrel

Hi again Darryl I have both tanks on charcoal.But with the kind of half lives mentioned in PFK ,I have no idea how long till my tanks are safe is there anything more I can do.I have made contact with linconshire pp but don't hold any hope out at best I can write a damming review on Amazon bad publicity is never popular unless your name is Boris.
Regards Martin steele

Hi all,
I have no idea how long till my tanks are safe is there anything more I can do.
Unfortunately it is just a waiting game.

As you change the water any pesticide residue will go from the water column, the issue would really be if the plants were treated with a systemic insecticide, that could remain in the plant leaves for several weeks.

You can't really test with a kit to find out if your tank is shrimp safe.

If you were a water company testing lab., and you knew which residues you were looking for, you might run the water though a <"HPLC"> or <"GC/MS">, but even then they would also have to use <"bioassay techniques"> (with a variety of organisms) before you could say that the water was "shrimp safe".

If you wait a bit I can send you some other <"non-shrimp crustaceans"> bioassay organisms, and you could try them in the tank before you re-invest in any shrimps.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darryl yes please send them over in a few weeks and let me know what I owe you for them what are they.
Regards Martin steele

Hi all,
Hi Darryl yes please send them over in a few weeks and let me know what I owe you for them what are they.
PM when you think you might be ready.

The ones I have are Daphnia pulex, Asellus aquaticus and Crangonyx pseudogracilis. I have a few <"different snails">, I use rain-water in the tanks and it is too soft for most of the other snails.

I've found posting the invertebrates in damp moss, in a take away carton, works fairly well.

It is £5 to cover p&p, donation to me, or to the forum. I want people to keep planted tanks, and have snails, Asellus etc because it makes fish-keeping so much easier.

cheers Darrel

Back