• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel Rio 240l lighting

Hi Mark,

I've looked there they don't do my size.

I have 7 x T5s and now down to using 2 of them the arcadia 54 watt plant grow pro I have 4 x High Lite Day which I was told they are no good for plants.

Ceg put me in the right direction and now have ease of mind and work with the 2 x T5s 54 watt Arcadia plant grow without the reflectors and concentrate on getting my co2 and flow circulation right and will monitor over the next few weeks.

Regards.

Billy

Hi there, Ceg

Could I ask you a question?

I noticed on one forum about Co2, taking a sample to check Ph level and then another sample of the tank water shake it vigorously and then leave for 1/2 hr and take a Ph reading and compare the 2.

I have done this about 1 hr ago and the first sample was between Ph 6.4 and 6.00 the second sample I left for 1/2 hr read Ph 7.2 is this ok?

Assistance gratefully appreciated.
Billy

Cegs,

Here is a special UKAPS tip: Ignore all advice about plants from LFS. If you have a question about hamsters and so forth, then I'm sure their advice will be useful, however, this is not the case with plants

This is a very sweeping generic statement surely it is not a UKAPS special tip? :woot: Your own opinion maybe, but not a UKAPS tip? :( This may run the risk of alienating our forum sponsers who are trying their best to support the information and technology supported by UKAPS. Let's keep it real and less generic please. There are some LFS who are UKAPS members that are trying their level best to educate the public too.
I agree that the OP may have got bad/dubious advice, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, eh? no matter how frustrating it may get. :) ;)
As people on this forum hold you in good authority on this subject.:thumbup:

Brads,
I am pretty sure you are correct, that the two manufacturers are the only ones that do these sizes. From my experience anyway. It was one of the reasons that the manufacturer Juwel went in this direction so the lamps could not be replaced with standard working lamps.:( Only Arcadia developed the competitive lamps to their sizes, to my current knowledge.:bookworm: I am sure others will correct if they have found another supplier.:thumbup:

Yes, thanks, you are correct. It's not good to throw the baby out with the bath water.Your point is well taken.

Unfortunately, this does not change the fact that LFS generally are a bad place for advice. The number of LFS where good advice is given is relatively low. Naturally, the LFS members here are exceptions to this general rule, and will give excellent advice. I think this goes without saying. Members need to understand that unless they are shopping at a member LFS then the odds are stacked against them in terms of advice.

I'm sure that our member LFS are all too aware of the problems of bad advice in the hobby, and, as you mention, they strive to understand the truth in order to provide a better service to their customers and to undo the damage done by their colleagues in the industry.

It might actually be a better idea for our LFS members to network in order to organize an education program for those recalcitrant LFS. That might be an even more effective strategy.

I apologize for any inconvenience in making such a sweeping statement, but there is no way I'm going to sugar coat the truth, especially when we hear horror stories such as that listed by the OP, and when we have to spend the time and energy to help undo that damage.

Here's another tip: The OP should be given maximum credit for now discovering, and accepting the truth, despite how painful it must be.

I have no problems with adding the caveat that member LFS (and probably a small percentage of other LFS) are an exception to the general rule of bad advice prevalent in the industry.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

I totally agree with Ceg's statement. If I received the correct info at the start I wouldn't be @ least £400 out of pocket.

I have just bought another external filter Aqaumanta efx 1200.

The Aquamanta Efx 1000u, that I have at the moment was advice giving to me from my LFS stating that it will be more than enough for the aquarium volume you have, hence having to go out and buy another one because it was les than xs 5 the flow rate required.

If any one is interested in buying 7 T5s 54 watt (1047mm) and a light unit for a jewel rio 240, please don't hesitate to PM me lol.

Regards
Billy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Hi Ceg,

I was reading the forum about Co2 where you stated about taking a sample of the the aquarium water check the Ph and then take a sample from the same aquarium water shake it vigorously, leave it for 1/2hr i did this, my first Ph was in between 6.4 & 6.0 the second was 7.6 is this ok:

Yes, in general CO2 at the right ppm will drop the Ph by 1 point or so. It isn't as good as using a drop checker with 4dKH but it is quite a normal reading. Similarly my tap water comes out at 7.4 and if I leave it 24 hours it rises to 8.2 after the CO2 has gassed off.

What you have heard about the Juwel I bars burning out is not as severe as it may sound. As trogolodyte says it is the poor quality ballasts that they use which burn out. I solved this problem years ago for someone on TFF when I was messing about with ballasts and making my own retrofits. He then did a guide on it on TFF which I link to below. I won't take the credit though as I am sure someone must've done it before I suggested it.

Juwel must be cursing me as instead of someone paying for a new I bar they now only needed to buy a £10 - £20 ballast that was better than the one they got in the first place with the unit :)

Fixing Juwel Light Bar. - Do-It-Yourself Projects & Hardware - Tropical Fish Forums

Cheers Supercoley your a star.I will save that link for future.

Regards
Billy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Aqua essentials are expensive as are the postage costs. Green Machine are excellent as are Aquajardin, they order the plants in direct from Tropica which means they are super quality.

Back