• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java ferns. Brown leaves?

valevelo

I have 2 java ferns in a new setup (fish in for less than a month). These seem to be the least healthy looking plants in the tanks so far. I have a Trident bought from Aquarium Gardens, & a standard from LFS (submerged). Both have brown 🟤 and brown leaf tips as pictured but the Trident is still putting out new leaves on plantlets & rhizome is extending.

PXL_20240913_140619747.jpgPXL_20240913_140628759.jpgPXL_20240913_140641324.MP.jpg

Other plants (Anubias Nana, Bucephalandra Kedagang, Myriophyllum Mattogrossense, Staurogyne Repens, Helanthium Quadricostatus & Helanthium Tenellum Green) are all growing well. I am adding Leaf Zone weekly (15ml/110L tank). Light is only 7.2W so don't think it's light burn.

Thanks in advance

If you provide the information requested in this link in list form, it’ll be easier for people to offer help.

Whoops, sorry @hypnogogia, I hadn't noticed the pinned thread about advice. See below:

1. Size of tank: 110 L heated to 25°c
2. Age of the system approximately: 1 month
3. Tap water parameters: pH is 6.8 in tank though. 1000015677.png4. Filtration and Media. Interpet CF2 480L/H. Biomedia, floss, carbon, algaway pad. Also an Allpondsolutions 600 L/H internal filter with sponge only, seeding for another tank.
5. Lighting and duration. 7.2W RGB LED. Not on timer, but averaging 8 hours.
6. Substrate. Colombo Nutribase, Tetra Active Substrate, Sand, Decorative gravel
7. Co2 dosing or Non-dosing. Non dosing
8. Drop Checker. No
9. Fertilizers used + Ratios. API Leaf Zone, 15ml on start up and in ratio to WC since
10. Water change regime and composition. Got into a fish in cycle by mistake, so has been 30% every 3 days during ammonia phase, now in nitrite phase & been 30% daily for 3 days.
11. Plant list + Invitro/Emersed.
Bucephalandra Kedagang, emersed
Echinodorus Parvoflorus, emersed
Microsorum Pteropus Trident, emersed
Microsorum Pteropus, emersed
Myriophyllum Mattogrossense, emersed
Anubias Barteri Nana, in vitro
Helanthium Quadricostatus, in vitro
Helanthium Tenellum Green, in vitro
Staurogyne Repens, in vitro
12. Inhabitants. 6 serpae tetra, 6 yellow phantom tetra, 5x Corydora, 2 x Platy,
13. Full tank shot and surface image.
1000015638.jpg
1000015678.jpg

Thanks

Hi @valevelo
It's early days yet!
Especially when using slow-growers like Java Fern/Anubias/Bucephalandra.

Remove the Carbon, it's removing the fertilizer.

@9 API Leaf Zone is a Potassium/Micro only fertilizer!
Purchase an NPK fertilizer and dose per instructions.

Direct the small filter towards the Ferns, they love higher flow rates around the rhizome area.

Purchase some floating plants and use the Tutorials below temporarily.
hoggie

Hi @valevelo
It's early days yet!
Especially when using slow-growers like Java Fern/Anubias/Bucephalandra.

Remove the Carbon, it's removing the fertilizer.

@9 API Leaf Zone is a Potassium/Micro only fertilizer!
Purchase an NPK fertilizer and dose per instructions.

Direct the small filter towards the Ferns, they love higher flow rates around the rhizome area.

Purchase some floating plants and use the Tutorials below temporarily.
hoggie

Brilliant, thanks for taking the time to write that. The smaller filter is hung on lip of tank so can't move much, but I've changed outlet direction along back of tank on the right hand filter for now- flow is much more circular in the tank.

With the carbon, it's internal on a floss cartridge- just pull the whole cartridge and replace with plain filter floss?

I've got Colombo Flora Grow that came with the Scaper 45 kit which I'll use until I get full npk fert.

I'll take a look for some in vitro floaters later today. I had read the duckweed index previously 👍🏻

With the carbon, it's internal on a floss cartridge- just pull the whole cartridge and replace with plain filter floss?
Hi
Yes....good stuff!

Back