• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

James ADA 60p Iwagumi Journal

buttons

919dfabf7b49df024ec614c408f523f6.jpg

Hi

Here I'm starting up my first journal of my new ADA 60p, I decided to sell my my Rio 240 as it was to large in my new house and taking a little to long to keep on top of it with 3 busy children and work.

I've decide to try my hand at an iwagumi scape using mini landscape rock and Cuba as the main carpet plant. I'm hoping with a journal started I can get great advice on getting and keeping the best scape possible.

Info on my set up.

Tank and cabinet: Ada 60p & Wave high gloss white cabinet
Filter: JBL e901
Heater: Hydor 200w inline (once fitted)
Co2: Up Aqua inline automizer
Light: Chihiros a-series 601
Substrate: ADA Amaziona 9l
Hardscape: Mini landscape rock
Ferts: E.I dry ferts

It took me awhile to decide on a scape but settled on this for
6c62a93a42dd3dad74c4b689d58135f7.jpg

Plants arrived today so I devided them up ready for planting
03d1e9c8445cba7bc16c2cd16e356d10.jpg

Filled tank up a little to put the Cuba in (hopefully no floaters)
d892b6a73584a0d364edba9e5cc3cea0.jpg

Planting going well
b4582c6af0d15043a9f124b7c573065b.jpg

Ready to fill up slowly now
dbf6b9e37c5edef1d71c5cede841703b.jpg

All filled, no floaters yet, I thought I'd add alittle blyxa to the back of the rock and some red stems as I didn't want them to die with now tank to put them in, not sure if they will stay though yet. I may get some more grass type plant for around the rocks?
ac3b21ab69e5201af02920b32b357e8f.jpg

Co2 all hooked up, making a little burbling noise that I've never noticed before when using the automizer? Will tidy up the plugs on the weekend.
a560316f72452df758f1822390a2ef0a.jpg

275a055ac176229447da483cbc0b2e0a.jpg

Full tank and side tank shot, I've dimmed the led down to 3/7 setting in till I'm sure the co2 is working properly with the drop checker tomorrow.
b30a8daf48b0c81d9fca9015e73de5bb.jpg

cc1799d0e6cc96b5b254d798bb59bdfc.jpg

I want to get some clear external filter pipes next.

I'm pleased so far but opened to suggestions on the scape and set up.

Thanks for reading the intro.

James.

Last edited:
I don't want the stems to die so will probably grow them and move them on to somebody.

I will probably order some of the eleocharis acicularis mini tomorrow Nigel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ryan, I'm on a Mega chuff with this tank, it's beautiful and so clear. Your 120p is beautiful

*photos added to the journal now*

When your say high, what bps are we taking about?

Also we new Amazonia soil, what water change do I need to perform on it to cycle it?

I will give the 24 hours co2 a go, if it helps to get the plants going that's great. Being a small tank not to bothered with the daily water changes and try that for a week then slow down a little on them while testing the water.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated Ryan.

Hi Buttons thanks for your post. I'm brand new to this and i found your journal very helpful in narrowing things down. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the amount of choice there is for different setups but i like the look of yours and i think it would fit in well in my own house. Do you mind me asking roughly how much it all cost you in total and where you bought it from ? Also is this kind of setup suitable for beginners or should i be looking at more of an all in one kind of setup like the fluval edge?

Hi Buttons thanks for your post. I'm brand new to this and i found your journal very helpful in narrowing things down. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the amount of choice there is for different setups but i like the look of yours and i think it would fit in well in my own house. Do you mind me asking roughly how much it all cost you in total and where you bought it from ? Also is this kind of setup suitable for beginners or should i be looking at more of an all in one kind of setup like the fluval edge?

Hi Bradley, thank you for your kind post. I'm new to making journals so wanted to make it as easy to read as I could, so I'm very pleased you enjoyed reading it so far. There is definitely a huge amount of choice to choose from, a lot of the stuff Im using has come off other tank that I sold, filter, co2 equipment & ferts. I would say this set up has a cost of around £500. This set up is suitable for beginners with the right help and plants for sure. I must say the Ada 60p tank is absolutely beautiful, would recommend it to anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

40200b37fcc111e456d159fb863efe67.jpg

Added some hair grass around the rocks. I've been doing a big water change most days since starting up and dosing 10ml a day of E.I with the co2 cranked up with no fish in it.

As for live stock, I think I'm going to add a school of 10 - 15 harlequin rasboras I have being kept in my dads tank since selling my 240l, cherry shrimp and the usual clean up crew.

Last edited:
e4231e0fb1e04056f7b39e6405d25cd6.jpg

Small update, growth seems ok on the HC not a lot die back and can see a lot of roots gripping the soil. No algae as yet either. Got the light on 6 hours and 4/7 setting on the led, doing water changes every 2 days but may move to every 3 days now, dosing 10ml of my E.I every day.

What does everyone clean there glass with? Don't want to scratch this tank if possible.

Hi
I use unused dishwashing sponge for the glasses.There is a Dennerle Cleanator for arround 5 quid wich I seen good reviews about.
Regards Konsa

Hi
I use unused dishwashing sponge for the glasses.There is a Dennerle Cleanator for arround 5 quid wich I seen good reviews about.
Regards Konsa

The dennerle cleanator is a great sponge to clean the glass! I really recommend them.

Nice tank so far!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thanks guys will check the dennerle cleanator out.

I don't use the Cleanator from Dennerle anymore because it lost a lot of steel wool pieces which would stay in the tank. I don't want to take the risk a fish our shrimp picks it up and injured itself. I use dishwash sponges with great succes (and they are cheap).

Maybe I go with the cheaper sponges then, plenty in the house is it ok to use both side, sponge and the tougher side?

I don't use the Cleanator from Dennerle anymore because it lost a lot of steel wool pieces which would stay in the tank. I don't want to take the risk a fish our shrimp picks it up and injured itself. I use dishwash sponges with great succes (and they are cheap).

Never had that problem of steel wool pieces in the tank. How long did you use it before it was releasing pieces?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I mainly use the green abrasive side, this doesn't give scratches on the glas. On silicon tubing, suction cups and plastic parts I use the soft sponge side.

@Nigel95 It started releasing the smal wire piece right from the start. I could see them lying on the substrate (they are very small)

Back