• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

James ADA 60p Iwagumi Journal

Light levels and photo period seem good to me, nothing to excessive, hopefully the increased flow helps, as usual just keep on top of water changes!

Algae is getting worse and tank not looking as good now as before, need to get a balance going and get on top of this. I know I'm getting recommendations of turning co2 right up but will be adding livestock hopefully this week so will need them to be able to survive and not be gassed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What livestock?

What's your water change schedule?

Rather than increasing CO2, you can try CO2 24/7 - drop level outside the photoperiod but have some CO2 running - this should keep CO2 available at all times for plants, unless room is very dark, plants will likely be photosynthesizing outside the actual photoperiod - how much depends on ambient light level
This should allow you to add livestock on schedule if that's your preference

What livestock?

What's your water change schedule?

Rather than increasing CO2, you can try CO2 24/7 - drop level outside the photoperiod but have some CO2 running - this should keep CO2 available at all times for plants, unless room is very dark, plants will likely be photosynthesizing outside the actual photoperiod - how much depends on ambient light level
This should allow you to add livestock on schedule if that's your preference

Livestock will be a otos and some rasboras I have in my dads tank. I know I should probably get things sorted in the tank first.

I been doing daily water changes this week.

I getting a lime green drop at the start of photoperiod, I was hoping that was the co2 sorted . There definitely something off balance.

Photos this morning
64272550041b55113327086fe744f3cd.jpg

97bf10d3c0061f3a8ff85e5e445cee56.jpg

I will beat this algae lol.

Is this more of a bad case of a diatoms breakout? Would ottos SAE help it a bit?

Could be diatoms, the algae does look more brown than your common green hair algae, as someone suggested before you could try 24/7 co2, personally I use this method on all my tanks, you need to keep surface agitation high so you dont gass your fish etc, you can keep your co2 level at 30ppm all the time and live stock have no problems with this.

How is the best way to check that my co2 is roughly around the 30ppm mark?

I thought it's was more brown compared to the green hair algae I get in my shrimp tank.

If you measure your PH (get a ph pen) and KH and use a chart like this - https://www.ukaps.org/forum/attachments/co2_graph_zps9c124ef0-gif.16306/

Obviously if you have fish / shrimp etc keep a good eye on them, surface agitation needs to be high to keep that balance of co2 and o2.

Say that I still get diatoms in most tanks i start up even with 24/7 co2, keep up with the water changes and try add some algae eating shrimp if you can they really help

my shrimp tank.
Magic words - just move a shrimp horde over to tidy up the algae :D
Then a few snails (Oto's if you must) will do the rest
I'd not do SAE as they'll soon outgrow this tank & can be difficult to catch without some scape upheaval :wideyed:
You could add in a some floating plants as well

Quick up date

Starting to get on top of the brown algae now, carpet is slowing bouncing back. I've added 5 rasboras, and a clean up crew of 5 amano shrimp, 5 horned nerite snails and my small colony of red rili shrimp which I think have helped a lot. I chopped back algae off the carpet and picked out a lot of the brown algae.

4d0d6957d2c2c0df6f797a2b7da39b70.jpg

42d1eb7eb6e68f1cea3b9edf0d22081f.jpg

Sponge on the filter inlet will be coming off on next water change to be replaced with a shrimp guard.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, definitely looking better now.

This poor bugger must of took a leaf of faith last night.
ac6d611003be5f4af8eccd2296716bab.jpg

Also somehow managed to smash my lily pipe outlet last night when putting the shrimp guard on the inlet , so ordered another.

Tank is looking super healthy now, hoping I've finally got a balance going with the lights ferts and co2, still only running the led on 3/7 and on for 6 hours, hopefully in a couple of weeks i can up the lights and time to get some faster growth.

Some full tank shots
03a9c506d22c608c7f6c16a886976cd8.jpg

42cab05f8b9481aab9ef2e4c213e1d74.jpg

82680b6f2ccdc6b705637ff127addc4b.jpg

Looking good, you must be glad it settling down. I have a Chihiros led also, I'm currently on level 4 and don't foresee going higher as the plants grow really well. Nice healthy growth but not crazy fast suits me.

Looking good, you must be glad it settling down. I have a Chihiros led also, I'm currently on level 4 and don't foresee going higher as the plants grow really well. Nice healthy growth but not crazy fast suits me.

I'm on setting 3 at the moment, knocked it down from 4 when I was having the algae problems, will put it back up to setting 4 once in happy with the plants growing.

Back