• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
The [IWAGUMI] Project Scree aquascape has evolved after almost 7 months with the original plant layout.

Here's the original thread - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12095

The hardscape concept, inspired from a mountaineering expedition to Snowdonia, Wales -

4763384980_d128df9698_o.jpg

To final full-tank shot -

5369724290_fa48baefde_b.jpg

Keen to attempt Sozo Haishoku (creative plant rearrangement), I have kept the substrate and rock layout exactly the same. I have also left some hairgrass growing between the rocks. More hairgrass is planted around the perimeter, with crypts and Rotala in the background. Needle fern is growing in the ‘hole’ under the main stone.

I have a few concerns – mainly to do with the new lighting and how the plants will adjust. Going from 1 x 24w T5 to 2 x 30w LED is a huge leap in PAR!

I have upped CO2 and nutrients accordingly and deliberately suspended the new LED lighting quite high above the water.

I am hoping this layout will be as pleasing as my previous effort. It will be a lot more maintenance, but I am happy with that, as I only have this is my main aquascaping tank now. I am also coming home every weekday, rather that staying at work during the week, so any issues can be addressed more immediately.

New tank specification

Aquarium 60x30x36cm German OptiWhite and cabinet supplied by Aqua Essentials (2007)
Lighting 2 x TMC GroBeam 1000ND LED tiles (6500K, 8hrs)
Filtration and heating Fluval G6, Hydor ETH300, Cal Aqua 17mm outlet, TMC 12mm inlet
CO2 Dennerle system with 2Kg FE, solenoid, Boyu inline diffuser, 3BPS
Substrate Unipac Maui Sand
Hardscape Mini Landscape Rock
Fertilisers Tropica Plant Nutrition+, 5ml per day
Maintenance 2 x 50% water change per week, general pruning and cleaning
Fish Neon tetras, Cherry shrimp
Plants Eleocharis acicularis, Cryptocoryne parva, C. wendtii ‘green’, C. wendtii ‘brown’, Rotala sp. ‘green’, Microsorum pteropus ‘needle’

Here it is not long after the re-plant, and after fitment of the new LED lighting.

5381037772_90f2e9efba_b.jpg

5380436827_bdcacd0b6f_o.jpg

Re: [IWAGUMI] Scree Evolution

Forgot to mention - I'll be adding some E. tenellus (thanks, Mark!) between the hairgrass to complicate the textures further. I've not grown tenellus for about 7 years, where I failed, so hopefully I'll do better this time!

Now it looks much better. Previous was nice and simple, it was show piece but over time it could get boring. Personally I like more variety but it is just up to personal taste. I think also your fishes would appreciate more covers and plant density.

Could you make full tank closer photo please? I like to watch on details :) Thanks

George Farmer said:
Forgot to mention - I'll be adding some E. tenellus (thanks, Mark!) between the hairgrass to complicate the textures further. I've not grown tenellus for about 7 years, where I failed, so hopefully I'll do better this time!

Tennelus is nice I have one part of tank under slight shade and there Tennelus is small and compact on other side I have strong light and there Tennelus is asmost 3x size up to 20cm leaves. I personally do not like over substrate runners they can get 30cm long and I have to cut them here and there.

Thanks, Radik!

bcoldwine - Yes, there's a lot of light! I photographed these at max output, but in reality the 8hr photoperiod ramps up and down gradually with a 2hr peak in the middle.

The light spill is significant (but little compared to a 150w halide) at this height but reduces dramatically once lowered (when I get some longer cables!)

I am borrowing a PAR meter soon so will take some readings and compare with my T5 luminaire - then I can figure out exactly what intensity to set these units at. :thumbup:

I am just studying those TMC LED's, I was also searching for DIY LED's it could be 50% cheaper and maybe it will not be worth doing DIY but still considering it. Would be nice to have some PAR readings for one and two units at action + T5.

I assume one LED unit should be plenty, guys who used same CREE LEDs as TMC been using around 13 LED's and tweaked them to 3.7W per LED to give 48W. Check this out http://socalaquascapers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4609 using 48W CREE LED's

Are you also using TMC LED controller? There is little info on that unit but it should allow you to simulate sunrise/sunset etc and also maybe tweak intensity.

And lastly.. do you have shimmering effect? :)

Radik said:
I am just studying those TMC LED's, I was also searching for DIY LED's it could be 50% cheaper and maybe it will not be worth doing DIY but still considering it. Would be nice to have some PAR readings for one and two units at action + T5.

I assume one LED unit should be plenty, guys who used same CREE LEDs as TMC been using around 13 LED's and tweaked them to 3.7W per LED to give 48W. Check this out http://socalaquascapers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4609 using 48W CREE LED's

Are you also using TMC LED controller? There is little info on that unit but it should allow you to simulate sunrise/sunset etc and also maybe tweak intensity.

And lastly.. do you have shimmering effect? :)
Nice link, thanks.

Yes, I'm using the TMC controllers, as you suggest. Quote from my original journal -

I do like the look of the ADA MH but for a similar price you can get these. I actually prefer the look of these units and they have lots of other advantages - less power consumption, more efficient, waterproof, run much cooler, no mercury etc.

Here's more info - http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/data/grobeam1000-tech.pdf

I'm a bit of a gadget freak and the lighting controllers are awesome, and easy to use.

They have a built-in battery so the timers don't need adjusting after a power cut.

You can control the light intensity from 0-100% in 1% increments. You can ramp up/down the intensity to your desire.

For instance I have an 8hr photoperiod, ramping up gradually to full power after 3hrs, 2hrs at full, then ramping down for 3hrs to 1% intensity for moonlight mode. How cool is that?!

There's even a 'storm' function that flashes like lightning! You could have a powerhead come on at the same time to create a full-on effect.

Now you planted LED bug in to my head I'll just wait for you PAR readings hopefully soon :)

Radik said:
Now you planted LED bug in to my head I'll just wait for you PAR readings hopefully soon :)
He he! I will be getting the PAR meter on Wednesday, so will try to get some info then...

I'm off to Germany after that for a few days, so you'll have to wait a week or so after that!

What PAR levels are regarded as high lighting in planted tank? 70 µmolphotons/m2/second at the substrate?

What I recall 30 was low, 50-60 medium 80-100 High at substrate level? Dunno but Plantbrain would tell you for sure. I can wait till Wednesday hehe. Tx

He quotes ada tanks to produce 30-50 mol, I'll try and find the post. They're most definitely low light and are definitely very low in terms of par compared to what you'd expect from WPG.

Stunning as always, George! Only thing that's "irritating" me a little bit are the two rocks in the front of the left side of the tank... They have a bit different texture than the other ones. I did'nt find it a very noticeable in your old layout, but in the new layout I find it more visible for some reason... Maybe it's because of the new lightning?

George Farmer said:
Damn you, Johan!! I never noticed it either until now!! :lol:

Hopefully the plants will soften the differences once they're mature. Either that or I will let algae cover them! :sick:
Do you think you can manage not to scrub them with your toothbrush? ;)

Nice plant choice George, Crypts and Rotala green are amongst my favourites! I like the fact that not only have you recycled the hardscape so to speak but also used plants that have been sent from UKAPS members from their own tanks and in essence recycled these to, following through the theme of the setup.......great stuff. I'll do some reading up on the lights, they certainly look the part and like previously said I think we'll see more people switching to them.

Regarding the needle fern.....have you simply put it in the whole? Or attached it the stone first? Bit of a silly question.......but like knowing all the details for ideas for my own future scales.

Garuf said:
I'd forgotten I'd a subscription over there! Didn't get my monies worth clearly!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/light ... 12-pc.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/light ... light.html
Thanks, Gareth. Great links. :)
B7fec said:
Regarding the needle fern.....have you simply put it in the whole? Or attached it the stone first? Bit of a silly question.......but like knowing all the details for ideas for my own future scales.
Thanks, Ben.

The needle fern was simply placed in the gap underneath the main stone. Eventually the rhizome will attach itself. :)

Nice work George. I think the Sozo Haishoku is a great concept to show just how different a tank can look via planting alone. I'm considering my own variation on the theme in my optiwhite, by rescaping with exactly the same hardscape and plants, but moving them all round !

Personally I prefer this payout, as I think its visually more interesting, whereas the previous was ultra "contemporary-cool" ! Look forward to see how it goes with those lights, as I'm thinking about them for my 5footer :wideyed:

Tony

Back