• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this healthy growth?

aliclarke86

a4ymeses.jpg

I'm not 100% on the plant ID but it looks to me that the leaves are a bit pale...I am getting lime/yellow drop checker even at the most slow flowing areas of the tank by lights on and the growth is strong (about 1 to 2" a week)

Is this a co2 issue or nutrient or is this healthy growth for the plant?

Is it a ludwigia?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Ali, it looks fine to me. It looks like the bottom of the stem is from it's emersed growth. The top is its new growth. It looks like rotala macaranda to me...or ludwigia rosanervig.

It's Ludwigia, allright ........ probaply the standard Ludwigia repens.
For this species that's healthy growth, though the nerves shoving suggests you could go a little higher on ferts.
If you're after more red colour, you neex to change plant to Ludwigia 'rubin' or another variety that goes more red.
Mick.

Cheers guys. Not after more red I was more concerned with the pronounced veins, is this what you are referring to when you say nerves?

I am dosing EI (pretty standard recipe) daily at 15ml and it is about a 60ltr tank with probably 15ltr of substrate/hardscape. I haven't really uped the dosing for a while even though the plant mass has dramatically increased. Perhaps I should try a bit more?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hello,
You should avoid making more problems than which you solve. You haven't positively identified the plant. If the species happens to be a derivative of
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
for example, then this is normal behavior and you should take no further action. For verification, closely examine the OTHER plants in the tank, especially the stem plants, and see if they are discolored or pale. If not, then there is a lower probability of a general nutrient shortage.

In general, seldom should you encounter nutrient deficiency when dosing EI levels - assuming all other factors are confirmed to be good. It simply shouldn't happen, so if it does, then you know that the fault lies with some other item, typically, flow and distribution.

Again, I'm not saying that some problems can't easily be solved by adding more nutrients, but it's better to emphasize that a nutrient deficiency when dosing unlimited levels of nutrients indicates an infrastructural problem somewhere else in the tank system, in exactly the same way as occurs when we inject standard levels of CO2 and yet the plants suffer CO2 related faults while the fish suffer CO2 toxicity. So just try to be systematic and think about the other indicators in the tank. The plants, fish and the tank TELL YOU what's wrong with them, but you have to listen to them.

Search for other images of H. polysperma and see if you can compare with your plant and if the issue was discussed.

Cheers,

The emersed leaves leads me to no other plant, than the Ludwigia, sorry !
BUT ....... ceg is absolutely right in pointing out, to take an overall look at your plants - and take action (or no action) from the overall picture :)
Mick.

OK well I'm not going to change anything. I have nice growth from ludwigia repens, lobelia, valid Nana and hc so I guess no problem with nutrients

nydapuba.jpg

Bottom shot is on trim day top is 4 days later.
And this is the day before trim

e4edazag.jpg

Don't suppose anyone can I'd this plant in the middle of the val. No idea where it came from
aquvuput.jpg

Can't tell for sure ..... but best guess is some kind of Rotala. Does it divide very readily from base, when trimmed ?
Mick.

Having trimmed it yet, it must have come in with some other plants. Literally have this one stem. I shall grow it out a bit longer then try and ID it.

Yup pretty clear its rotala after a quick search. Still not sure on the first plant though. I have ludwigia repens growing next to it so not that....

Don't suppose anyone can I'd this plant in the middle of the val. No idea where it came from
aquvuput.jpg

I would go for Rotala sp pink.
hoggie

It does have a pink look to it now it's grown out. I just gave it a trim yesterday. The rate its growing I should have a fair sized portion by next month :D

Back