• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Inverts for paludariums

ExcitableBoy

Hi, I have three tanks where I grow emersed plants and I'd like to add some inverts to help the decomposition process, possibly move and oxygen a bit the substrate, maybe filter the water. Something that is virtually no maintenance, doesn't need to be fed by me.
I have a few Physa marmorata which came with the plants, but I want to add something else.
Water column from the substrate is only 4 cm or so, water is still.
I was thinking about tubifex, they would be perfect since there is organic soil (not fertilized) under the akadama.
I have also found Daphnia and Asellus aquaticus on eBay.
I don't know if I could get all of these together. Probably Tubifex will eat Physa eggs, and maybe baby Daphnia. Plus I don't want to end with an excess of organic due to the deaths

Hi all,
I was thinking about tubifex, they would be perfect since there is organic soil (not fertilized) under the akadama.
I have also found Daphnia and Asellus aquaticus on eBay.
I'm an <"Asellus fan">. <"Crangonyx pseudogracilis"> are also good if you can find them.
Probably Tubifex will eat Physa eggs, and maybe baby Daphnia.
I have Lumbriculus, Asellus and Daphnia together without any problems.

cheers Darrel

Many thanks, I will go for both three and let's see what survives. Unfortunately I can't find Crangonyx in Italy.
I forgot to say that these tanks have no filters, so I don't know if it would be better to wait a month or so, they are only a week old.

Meh, only Saururus cernuus and Bacopa spp. have started to grow well above the water, but they are not that fast for now. Others are growing but overall I would say a medium growth rate. I have added some floating plants like Limnobium and Phyllanthus to help.
I have found Hyalella azteca anyway

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_20220715_161419.jpg
    IMG_20220715_161419.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20220715_161456.jpg
    IMG_20220715_161456.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20220715_161508.jpg
    IMG_20220715_161508.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 90
A little update here too.
In the end I decided to put only the tubifex, because I was afraid that if Asellus and Hyalella can't find enough food they will choose to eat healthy plants rather than starve.
I don't know why but the seller on eBay only let me buy 1 bag (180 ml) every 10 days. I hope they are enough to colonize three tanks of 60x30 cm each, otherwise I will buy some more. LFSs have virtually never live food here.
The organic soil is producing so many bubbles to raise the layer of akadama above, I hope this will end in the future and maybe Tubifex will help idk.
Physa marmorata are growing quite fast, no problems with KH 0 and GH 4, they have had babies but without fish food they aren't overpopulating the tank.
Today I have noticed some tiny new inhabitants, maybe copepods idk and a couple of white worms, very thin like hairs, 2 cm long, with twitching movements. Honestly I wished to have some Hydra spp. but none came with the plants.
Most of the plants are doing great. I will start a journal thread soon.

Back