• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Inverts available

Hi all,
What inverts can be kept safely with fish and plants
I have a few different ones in my tanks, they are all ones which sustain themselves and act as tank janitors. I know that most marine aquarists and terrarium keepers have <"tank janitors">, but a lot of freshwater aquarists are ill disposed towards to "pest snails" etc.

An Isopod crustacean <"Asellus aquaticus, and the Gastropod molluscs Planorbella duryi, Melanoides tuberculata and Physella acuta"> should all be OK, they are all plant safe and usually survive in most tanks. The <"Amphipod crustacean Crangonyx pseudogracilis"> and the Annelid worm <"Lumbriculus variegatus"> are plant safe, but most fish will eat them, stopping them from forming self-sustaining populations.

You are more than welcome to any / all of these.

Cherry Shrimps (Neocaridina "davidii") are good in harder water, but some fish will eat them. They will form self-sustaining populations and are cheap to buy in standard colours.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel I hope you don't mind but I found a strange bug in my fish tank and Googled it and it looks like it is an woodlouse. Anyhowz it lead me to you!.
Do you know if they are shrimp safe ? I know they are fish safe. Many thanks

Attachments

• 20240101_140826.jpg
    20240101_140826.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 20240101_141346.jpg
    20240101_141346.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 53
Asellus aquaticus?

Yep that is a Gammarus, fish safe great for the CUC and fish will eat them if they can catch them.
Have kept them with shrimp in the past, but can't remember if they competed with each other

Hi all,
Hi Darrel I hope you don't mind but I found a strange bug in my fish tank and Googled it and it looks like it is an woodlouse. Anyhowz it lead me to you!.
Welcome to UKAPS.
Asellus aquaticus
That is the one, crustacean naming is all to do with legs. It is an Isopod ("all legs the same") crustacean, just like Woodlice.

Scuds (Hyalella, Gammarus, Crangonyx etc) are Amphipods ("some legs different") and shrimps are Decapods ("ten legs"). Easiest way to differentiate is that Asellus are flattened from top to bottom and "Scuds" from side to side
fish safe great for the CUC and fish will eat them if they can catch them.
Have kept them with shrimp in the past, but can't remember if they competed with each other
They are "shrimp safe", but eat the same sorts of things as Cherry Shrimps, you can definitely keep them together.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back