• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Internal to external swap over

andy-mu

Hi Guys,

Titles the clue.

Having read through a myriad and wealth of information on the forum, I have made many changes to my
aquarium set up over the last few weeks. Mulling over it for about a year.

So, have now got my external filter installed connecting to my CO2 reactor. Waiting on a new twin T5 controller
to replace the one sent that was faulty. T5 tubes waiting. Drop checker in place and CO2 levels just about
where they need to be. Having run on an internal for a while, and my apologies for that, I now have the new
external running with the internal still fitted for it's bacterial benefits. How long would I need to keep the 2
filters running in tandem before I remove the existing internal filter completely?

Hi,
Why don't you just remove the media from the internal and put it in the external? Then you can remove the internal immediately. It's the media that holds a majority of the bacteria, not the filter walls.

Cheers,

In Short, I don't know why. I had just kept them separate since they were separate units. Planned on
just letting it colonise naturally.

Back