• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Interesting plant cabinet at the Aquatic Store in Bristol

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
I just saw this on the Aquatic Store, Bristol FB group <"The Aquatic Store Bristol">, and it looks very interesting (and definitely a good idea).

I don't know if anybody knows any more? The original is a short video, but basically a cabinet with lights and a fogging system.

Aquatic_store_fogging.jpg

cheers Darrel

Unfortunately can't access as I deleted FB long ago, but something that may or may not be of interest is the instagram account "ikeagreenhousecabinet", which features some superb hacks of cabinets for plants

Unfortunately can't access as I deleted FB long ago, but something that may or may not be of interest is the instagram account "ikeagreenhousecabinet", which features some superb hacks of cabinets for plants
It might be the "ikea akerbar greenhouse" cabinet. It looks interesting; the question is whether the joints provide enough insulation to maintain a high level of humidity inside.

The IKEA Akerbar is different from the "IKEA Greenhouse Cabinet" in quite a few ways! Info below and I'm happy to post pictures of mine if people are interested :)

Short summary: The Akerbar was made by IKEA specifically for the purpose of being a miniature greenhouse, indoor or outdoor (although I honestly wouldn't trust it outdoors without modifications, as the structure looks like it would flood - the frame of the greenhouse sits inside a metal tray, so rain would easily come in around the edges). The "IKEA Greenhouse Cabinet" is more conceptual - popularised a few years ago, it's a thing whereby people convert glass-and-metal IKEA display cabinets into indoor greenhouses, with a wide range of styles and functions.

More details: The Akerbar greenhouse is the successor to the Socker greenhouse, and comes with a larger size and another colour option, but both of them are small enough to e.g. sit on a sideboard or tabletop. The 'glass' is a relatively polystyrene plastic, anecdotally perspex but the IKEA website doesn't specify. Unmodified, they make a good quarantine/holding space for new houseplants, or somewhere to keep plants away from pets, kids, etc (if they're fragile, or poisonous, or spiky). With the hatches closed and the addition of e.g. some dishes of water, in my experience they can reach higher humidity than the surrounding home area. With modifications such as weatherstripping to allow for perfect sealing, they can reach very high humidity indeed - however, they are not designed for this, and if there are any imperfections in the paint seal, rust can set in. The Socker is no longer produced, but the Akerbar is very popular, and I'm seeing people modify them into full-blown terrarium setups with silicone sealant at the bottom. I think this is due in part to the new shape - the Socker opened from the top, while the Akerbar opens from the front. This means a light can be installed on the top, and the plants / substrate are more readily accessible. I have a Socker and use it for the aforementioned quarantining; I've been occasionally tempted by the Akerbar but don't want to pick it up without a plan for it, plus I already have two much larger greenhouse cabinets. ;)

IKEA Greenhouse Cabinets are usually modified from the Milsbo, Rudsta, Detolf, or Fabrikor cabinet ranges. The new Baggebo cabinet may also work well for this, but I've not seen many projects using it yet; I've also seen someone use the discontinued Klingsbo to make one. They've got different sizes, aesthetics, and up-front costs; second-hand full setups are increasingly becoming available as the first wave of people who constructed them during the early pandemic stay-at-home orders find themselves moving house, running out space, downsizing their engagement in the houseplant hobby for financial reasons, or otherwise moving on. There's also a very wide range of how much modification people will do - some greenhouse cabinets keep the original shelving and simply install a grow light or two (usually LED bars designed for reptile vivariums, with the most popular brand names in the UK seemingly being the Arcadia Jungle Dawn and the T5 Sunblaster). Other additions can include: weatherstripping to improve sealing, fans for air movement, humidifiers / foggers for (obvs) increased humidity, drilled holes for all the wires, timers for the various appliances, custom or DIY shelving, pegboards or wire frames for greater freedom of plant placement. And then there's people who essentially scape the entire cabinet interior, turning it into a terrarium or paludarium - Benji Plant and Serpa Design on YouTube have got some lovely build videos, and Benji's Rudsta had several update videos last time I checked.

The IKEA Akerbar is different from the "IKEA Greenhouse Cabinet" in quite a few ways! Info below and I'm happy to post pictures of mine if people are interested :)

Short summary: The Akerbar was made by IKEA specifically for the purpose of being a miniature greenhouse, indoor or outdoor (although I honestly wouldn't trust it outdoors without modifications, as the structure looks like it would flood - the frame of the greenhouse sits inside a metal tray, so rain would easily come in around the edges). The "IKEA Greenhouse Cabinet" is more conceptual - popularised a few years ago, it's a thing whereby people convert glass-and-metal IKEA display cabinets into indoor greenhouses, with a wide range of styles and functions.

More details: The Akerbar greenhouse is the successor to the Socker greenhouse, and comes with a larger size and another colour option, but both of them are small enough to e.g. sit on a sideboard or tabletop. The 'glass' is a relatively polystyrene plastic, anecdotally perspex but the IKEA website doesn't specify. Unmodified, they make a good quarantine/holding space for new houseplants, or somewhere to keep plants away from pets, kids, etc (if they're fragile, or poisonous, or spiky). With the hatches closed and the addition of e.g. some dishes of water, in my experience they can reach higher humidity than the surrounding home area. With modifications such as weatherstripping to allow for perfect sealing, they can reach very high humidity indeed - however, they are not designed for this, and if there are any imperfections in the paint seal, rust can set in. The Socker is no longer produced, but the Akerbar is very popular, and I'm seeing people modify them into full-blown terrarium setups with silicone sealant at the bottom. I think this is due in part to the new shape - the Socker opened from the top, while the Akerbar opens from the front. This means a light can be installed on the top, and the plants / substrate are more readily accessible. I have a Socker and use it for the aforementioned quarantining; I've been occasionally tempted by the Akerbar but don't want to pick it up without a plan for it, plus I already have two much larger greenhouse cabinets. ;)

IKEA Greenhouse Cabinets are usually modified from the Milsbo, Rudsta, Detolf, or Fabrikor cabinet ranges. The new Baggebo cabinet may also work well for this, but I've not seen many projects using it yet; I've also seen someone use the discontinued Klingsbo to make one. They've got different sizes, aesthetics, and up-front costs; second-hand full setups are increasingly becoming available as the first wave of people who constructed them during the early pandemic stay-at-home orders find themselves moving house, running out space, downsizing their engagement in the houseplant hobby for financial reasons, or otherwise moving on. There's also a very wide range of how much modification people will do - some greenhouse cabinets keep the original shelving and simply install a grow light or two (usually LED bars designed for reptile vivariums, with the most popular brand names in the UK seemingly being the Arcadia Jungle Dawn and the T5 Sunblaster). Other additions can include: weatherstripping to improve sealing, fans for air movement, humidifiers / foggers for (obvs) increased humidity, drilled holes for all the wires, timers for the various appliances, custom or DIY shelving, pegboards or wire frames for greater freedom of plant placement. And then there's people who essentially scape the entire cabinet interior, turning it into a terrarium or paludarium - Benji Plant and Serpa Design on YouTube have got some lovely build videos, and Benji's Rudsta had several update videos last time I checked.
Pictures always welcome on this forum, I for one would like to see and learn more about your set-up!

Okay, I've taken some quick snaps, attached below - not very '#aesthetic' but since this isn't instagram then I'm sure everyone here is fine with that ;) Everything here is still very much a work in progress, not a finished piece - the cabinets were constructed in a bit of a hurry as I wanted to prioritise having plant-space with consistent light/temp/humidity in time for last winter. I've since made improvements to them in an iterative sort of way, and have a great deal more planned, once my time / energy / enthusiasm / budget all permit it at the same time! I currently use them for for propagation, plant rehabilation, and a more permanent home for sensitive / humidity-loving plants. They definitely need a bit of a reorganise, and they're currently skewed more towards function than decoration, but the plants are beautiful either way 💚

The first three attached pictures are just the cabinet corner - Milsbo on the left, then Rudsta, and then a discontinued Ronnskar. The Ronnskar isn't a cabinet but it's similarly metal-and-glass so I've been grabbing them second-hand as they're great surfaces for displaying plants on and fit the general vibe of my living room! This one is being kept in the cabinet corner because it's currently holding propagations ultimately intended for terrariums, and the props will benefit from the consistent light that comes from the cabinets. I've also got an Exo Terra nano viv on the Ronnskar (free + 2nd hand) and I'm planning to scape it as a terrarium, but since the Ronnskar is a little bit wobbly, this may need to wait until I've affixed it to the wall. (And for anyone curious, on the shelf next to it is one of my isopod enclosures, featuring my first attempt at hardscape constructed from multiple elements pieces of stone and wood, attempting to give the impression of a damaged tree on a mountain-top.)

Next two photos are Milsbo contents, then one of Rudsta contents, and finally Ronnskar contents. This post gets long, so I've added subheadings!

Lighting (and other bells and whistles)

The Milsbo has an Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED Bar 22w, and the Rudsta has the 15w version. Both are connected to the same timer plug, which gives them two shortish photo periods, one in the morning and one in the evening. The cabinets are next to the table I'm using as a desk, and this is arranged such that I need to use other artificial lighting less often when I'm working from home. The lights are held up using hooks on neodymium magnets, and the wires run out through the Milsbo's side door hinge and the Rudsta's small side gap. As the cabinets are designed to be display cabinets with lights inside them, they do have holes, but unfortunately not ones which accomodate the cables I have. Drilling new holes (or expanding existing ones) is certainly on my agenda at some point, but given it involves drilling holes in metal, and thus needing to be careful about sharp metal shavings, properly sealing the remaining edges to prevent rust, etc, it's not something I just want to do casually of an evening!

I don't have any humidifiers, fans, or weather-stripping; I do have hygrometers for monitoring the humidity levels, though, and I find that when the plants are being well-watered, the humidity levels are just fine. I also suspect that if I did add weather-stripping without also adding fans, I'd have higher humidity, but also mould problems. I don't currently heat them either; the LED bars provide a gentle heat, and the enclosed environment means they're relatively stable.

Milsbo

The Milsbo has none of its original glass shelves remaining. I have one acrylic corner shelf which was cut to fit the existing shelf supports; I've seen some cabinet builds which layer these see-through shelves and they do look beautiful, but they seem problematic for growing longer / taller plants. The corner shelves also, unfortunately, do not work with my other shelving solution - wire frames, hanging from the top via heavy-duty neodymium magnetic hooks, and held together with cable ties. The wire frames are sturdy and coated with some kind of rubber or plastic (manufacturer did not specify), and give a lot of freedom for plant placement. They came with the wire baskets and shelves I've got attached to them, and have room for more attachments. A lot of the earlier IKEA greenhouse cabinet builds used the Skadis pegboard for this, but as those were made of coated MDF, people found that in the longer term they had problems with swelling and mould from the ambient moisture.

I've seen some Milsbo setups where people have full-width shelves and a light hanging under each shelf, but this feels excessive for the plants I have - I just arrange my plants so the ones that prefer shadier spots are lower down, and the ones with high light tolerance (or interesting responses to high light) are near the top. This seems to be working for me so far, so I'm glad I didn't get more than one light per cabinet, as I'm also keen on energy-efficiency! Another Milsbo shelf variation I've seen is wire-rack shelving, to allow for greater air movement between levels; this can range from custom-commissioned ones with personalised lettering, to oven racks or storage shelving cut to size.

I like the wire rack because it serves as a sort of all-purpose trellis to grow my plants up. I at one point considered covering it with sphagnum moss, but both the setup and maintenance felt like too much. Since then, I've had the idea for ultimately turning it into a paludarium, but the scope of that project is far beyond my current capacity, and I'm focusing on smaller terrariums and aquascapes first before trying something of that ambitious scale.

Rudsta and Ronnskar

I've kept one of the original Rudsta shelves for the time being, but also have magnetic shelves - since the Rudsta has a metal back rather than a glass one, no wire frame or pegboard is needed to have moveable shelves! I believe these ones were sold as spice racks to attach to the front of fridges. I used to have some plants in there hanging down from magnetic hooks but those are now elsewhere as they outgrew the space. The cubby underneath is where I store various bits of plant paraphernalia. I'm going to put one of the Drona boxes in it (made to go in Kallax but I checked the dimensions and it'll fit).

The Ronnskar is unmodified and as per my above comments it's basically just an extended propagation shelf at the moment.

Post got loooooong and I'm now tired, so gonna stop here, but happy to answer questions etc another time :)

Attachments

• photo_6032942344111766994_y.jpg
    photo_6032942344111766994_y.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 61
  • photo_6032942344111766995_y.jpg
    photo_6032942344111766995_y.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 85
  • photo_6032942344111766996_y.jpg
    photo_6032942344111766996_y.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 69
  • photo_6032942344111767000_y.jpg
    photo_6032942344111767000_y.jpg