• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Identification needed!

Mat H

Moved to 'Emersed Growing'.

Not quite sure if this belongs here, as I think these are emersed grown aquatic plants. I have a tendency to plonk additional / excess plants in different tanks, tubs etc to see how they do, but I can't recall what these three could be (two clearly doing better than the other)?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231003_182856_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231003_182856_Gallery.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_20231003_182624_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231003_182624_Gallery.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 93
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
as I think these are emersed grown aquatic plants.
I think the one in the right of the first image (with the blue arrows) and with red leaves is <"Ludwigia repens "Rubin"> (or "Super Red etc."). The other two are a bit more problematic, just because a lot of stem plants look similar when they become emersed.

Have a look at @Kezzab's <"Messing about"> and see if you can see anything similar. @zozo might have some ideas as well.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thanks Darrel & Hoggie,

Yes I did have a quick peak at the 'messing about' thread yesterday, just out of interest more than anything.

Lidwigia Repens Ruben and Hygrophila makes sense, though Corymbosa perhaps as don't have Difformis in any of my tanks!

I know there are some others, likely crypts of various types, hiding in the hair grass too.

All quite interesting and although I'm not looking forward to winter, for all of my outdoor endeavours, I'm pretty excited about the prospect of starting it all up a little earlier next year.

My outdoor aquarium [or plant safe haven as it's becoming] is doing supprisingly well. I've only cleaned the glass once at the beginning (1.5-2 months ago) and plants are probably growing better than they are in my indoor tanks, even the more difficult ones, though alot slower! [This section of garden only gets circa 2-3hrs of direct sun a day though]

Attachments

• 20231004_142619.jpg
    20231004_142619.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 20231004_142632.jpg
    20231004_142632.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 77
Moved to 'Emersed Growing'.

Not quite sure if this belongs here, as I think these are emersed grown aquatic plants. I have a tendency to plonk additional / excess plants in different tanks, tubs etc to see how they do, but I can't recall what these three could be (two clearly doing better than the other)?
The one on the left is an Alternanthera as hinted at by the flowers. Hygrophila flowers are a bit different.

The middle one I assume it's some kind of Limnophila. Plant on the right is difficult to ID from that pic.

@zozo might have some ideas as well.
I don't really have a clue... The first that came to mind for the right one was Lobelia maybe? But that's a long shot...
I guess we need flowers to be sure... :)

Hi all,
The yellowish leaves plant at the bottom of the first photo may be Lysimachia nummularia “aurea”.
The one on the left is an Alternanthera as hinted at by the flowers.
I guess we need flowers to be sure..
Yes, it definitely is Lysimachia nummularia “aurea” and you are right zoomed in you can see a flower (and that is what we need) and it is an Alternanthera sp.

cheers Darrel

Some better pictures from my old phone, and there are flowers on the smaller leafed plant too.

Thanks all by the way, appreciated! 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20231004_180044.jpg
    IMG_20231004_180044.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20231004_180035.jpg
    IMG_20231004_180035.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20231004_180055.jpg
    IMG_20231004_180055.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 71
Some better pictures from my old phone, and there are flowers on the smaller leafed plant too.

Thanks all by the way, appreciated! 👍
Given the alternate leaf arrangement in that second picture, that could be Prospernica palustris. Leaf shape is dependent on short/long day conditions.

Given the alternate leaf arrangement in that second picture, that could be Prospernica palustris. Leaf shape is dependent on short/long day conditions.
There are two healthy stems of that one, so before the cold sets in I might put one in a tank and see what happens. I may do that with others too if there's enough and they look healthy.

Back