• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID this terrestrial plant/weed

hinch

OK I have masses of this weed I assume it is growing in the garden and I can't do anything about it even gallons of weed killer don't seem to bother it. It grows at a rate of inches per day and is driving me nuts (not to mention its burnt out 2 strimmers now!) I know we have some plant boffins here so hopefully someone can tell me what it is and how to kill it!

7502051010_42e922755d.jpg
id this please by hinchles, on Flickr

7502045032_2e7f49cbd0.jpg
id this please by hinchles, on Flickr

that looks like it and explains why i can't kill the bloody stuff.

guess i'll stick another 20 gallons of weedkiller down again and see what happens

tried that once but only once from reading it seems i need to do it repeatedly :)

hopefully it'll kill the conifer hedge there too so I can remove it and put a fence up :)

Wow that sounds like bad stuff. Still, it says the roots only go down seven feet ... Wanna borrow a shovel :)

Hi all,
Equisetum arvense you've got to admire it, it really is a tough one to get rid of. The only 2 methods that work are:
1. To manually damage it in growth. As you have already found it has very tough stems, so you need a pretty chunky strimmer/rotary mower, or you can trample it on it. The trample option may sound a bit low tech, but it does work.
You can combine trampling with spraying with "Round-up", just trample and then spray. Spraying the intact plant just doesn't work.
2. Shade it out. This one also works, but it takes a while. You need an evergreen shrub, any one will do that will grow taller than the Horsetail. Once the Horsetail is shaded it will eventually die. You need to trample + spray any that appears around the shrubs edges.

cheers Darrel

Back