• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I don’t think this is schlueteri!

I recently bought some plants as Echinodorus schlueteri ’leopard’ not sure that they are on the basis of the leaf base which doesn’t look correct.
I am trying to put together a tank based primarily around Echinodorus and allied plants.

Attachments

• 29D7DE6C-DC01-43E4-9E63-99894B2E575D.jpeg
    29D7DE6C-DC01-43E4-9E63-99894B2E575D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 385
  • 4069BFD2-A519-4FD2-A64A-CFFE58CD7E9D.jpeg
    4069BFD2-A519-4FD2-A64A-CFFE58CD7E9D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • 5C0CF425-4876-4B8A-A590-53F56E2623F6.jpeg
    5C0CF425-4876-4B8A-A590-53F56E2623F6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
Echinodorus identification is such a specific topic that I wonder if we simply dont have that particular expertise around at the moment. Most of us would really like to help out, but personally I cant stand people who just throw out an answer with no regard for if they are right or not, so im very reluctant to post on topics im not confident about. This might explain why you havent gotten any replies yet.
In some cases I would say Facebook is the place where information goes to die, but in this case I might actually suggest you check if there are any really in depth aquatic botanist groups similar to the cryptocoryne communities, where the kind of expert advice you are looking for might be found. All I know is that echinodorus have a ton of varieties, and are really difficult to determine without some serious skills, so I really think you need to find that very particular expert for this question 😊
Maybe you could post in Aquatic Gardeners Association as a start, and if they dont know, they might know someone who does?
Hope you find out what you are looking for 🤞

All I kept for years were Echinodorus sp and SA stems. I can remember Schlueteri first coming onto the market supplied by Dennerle IIRC.
The one I had was most definitely quite small (for a swordplant), had longish stems, and smaller than usual bright green heart shaped leaves with little brown/red flecks.
While I obviously can't say for certain, the photo you posted above just does not look like anything that I remember.
Cheers!

Hi all,
Echinodorus identification is such a specific topic that I wonder if we simply dont have that particular expertise around at the moment.
I'd guess that is right. We used to have a member of the Tropica staff on forum (@Mick.Dk ) and he may well have been <"able to give you a definitive answer">.
Echinodorus schlueteri ’leopard’ not sure that they are on the basis of the leaf base which doesn’t look correct.
Do we know if Echinodorus schlueteri still has a cordate leaf when it is grown submersed? I know that Echinodorus "Ozelot" does, and E. schlueteri is one of its parents.

I'm going to guess your plant is nearer to Echinodorus "Red Flame", but unfortunately we are really in <"pick a name"> territory.

cheers Darrel

Apparently, many stores and different nurseries name their Echinodorus differently and sometime using valid or invalid botanical names of other E. for a hybrid instead of creating new cultivar name. Even if you buy Echinodorus species of the same name from different sources, there is a high chances are you will be getting different plant. Below is the list made from my experience and Flowgrow data of collecting Echinodorus species, they always labelled wrong name, you can count how many time I was dissapointed ☹️
E0D3B02F-899C-4F86-97E2-C03B3D99842E.jpeg

Last edited:
This is not a definitive - in fact, thinking probably not - but I have 'Sunset' in my tank which also have the lanceolate leaf base. One pic is after a week of planting and the other is six or seven weeks later under mid lighting (50% on my WRGB Pro) and CO2. I am guessing they might look different dependent on growing conditions, but the initial leaves were fairly small and green (albeit darker than yours I think) and the new leaves were much bigger and redder. Anyway, it has a similar mottling to yours and is not too dissimilar to 'Red Flame' by my eyes.

I only offer as an alternative. Might be miles off. Very much a beginner!

Good luck!

Attachments

• 20230225_150357.jpg
    20230225_150357.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230128_124003.jpg
    20230128_124003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
Back