• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to... Big water changes?

Am I right in thinking it is okay if you have got a mixer tap in your kitchen you can adjust the water temperature with a mixture of hot and cold water so as not to cause the temperature in the tank to plummet; and the use of hot water will not harm the plants or fish. I have a combination boiler which heats the water instantly as opposed to being held in an immersion heater storage tank.
At a first pass yes.

However, some combi-boilers have pressure reducers on their water inlets (as generally not rated for more say more than 5 bar pressure), thus trying to mix 5 bar hot and say 8 bar mains cold a down a long pipe, can get a bit uncontrollable and hard to set the temperature as the 8bar cold overrides the hot and prevents it flowing. You may be lucky, and water board compliant, and have a suitable non return valves fitted to your mixer tap to prevent this back flow happening.

I think a "just try it and see" is in order. Most likely be Ok.

Oh thanks, sorry by the way I just posted this question up as a new thread.

The combi boiler is from Vaillant and is four years old but as far as I know does have all kinds of fancy gadgets like pressure reducers, non return valves and other things I don't really understand.

I heard that hot water picks up more copper from the pipes than cold water, not sure if there is any truth in that or not, but copper is not good, yes?

not sure if there is any truth in that or not, but copper is not good, yes?
Think about.....if water picked up copper in the pipes, we would all have water running about our houses after a couple of years....as the pipes dissolved away and poisoned us with copper :)

However, acidic water sitting in pipes can attack copper over many years and cheap brass fitting that are not water board compliant, copper can dissolve from and shrimps are very susceptible to copper, poisoning leads to "old wives" tales about copper pipes being bad for aquariums.

I would just get on with it like everyone else dose.

Back