• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to... Big water changes?

AndrewH

Just done my bi-weekly water change in my community tank - 180L no ferts, no CO2.
I change about 50L but this takes me about 5 or 6 buckets emptied out, then waiting for kettle to boil to heat the water up, and filling the tank up again... one splashing, spilling bucket at a time.

This may be a stupid question, but is there a better way?

Im in the planning stage to convert is tank this EI dosed Co2 tank and 50% water changes every week frankly scare me. That's 9 of my 10 litre buckets in and out, not to mention the cost of the 3kW kettle to heat up all that water.

Thanks guys.

Hose pipe from mixer tap straight into tank
Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Have a look at this thread I created sometime ago: DIY Water Changer, No more buckets!! | UK Aquatic Plant Society

ArGh, sorry Dragon, I always do a search before starting a new thread, but didn't see this one.
Sorry about that...and thanks so much for the quick, excellent reply.

@Matt - my water contains both chlorine and chlorasamine so I would be really worried about just putting it straight into the tank...not to mention the cold temperature of the mains water vs my 25 C tank. What u think?

Wow, Im being stupid tonight...
I didn't look at that link before writing the above post.

@Matt - I see now how the temperature thing works using the hot tap for mixing. :facepalm:

However, Im really worried about the copper in my hot water system affecting my shrimp badly. :(
Should I be?

my water contains both chlorine and chlorasamine so I would be really worried about just putting it straight into the tank...not to mention the cold temperature of the mains water vs my 25 C tank. What u think?
If you pay attention to the diagram there is a cold and hot tap connected so that you can adjust the temp into the shower before pumping it back to the tank, just place a tank thermometer under the running water till you get it right ;) usually I don't bother with that too much. If you are worried you can mix the dechlorinator as you are pumping the water back into the tank.

A lot of people don't use declhorinator and have no problems. I use a 25litre tub I got from my LFS to remove water and the hose pipe on the mixer tap to fill back up.

Thanks so much guys, really helpful info... And thanks Paulo for the OP and excellent guide.
Im off to plan out my new super "Dragonsucker" as I shall christen it ;)!!

@Mike - thanks m8, that's good to hear your experiences too. Im not so worried about the dechlorinator (although I will still add it but just into the tanks, not the individual buckets)
I think alot of fish keepers don't actually realise that these treatments don't instantly neutralise the chlorines etc, but actually take a pretty long time to work fully (30+ mins. I believe)!

and now because of the excellent guys on this forum, Im looking forward to saying goodbye to the buckets!! :wave:

However, Im really worried about the copper in my hot water system affecting my shrimp badly. :(
Should I be?
You'll probably find there more copper in your trace mix than you'll get from your hot water system

P.S I keep discus and have never had a problem in 2 years
Matt

If its low tech, large frequent water changes are actually worse for it. Causing co2 to be removed, which will have a negative impact on plants.

If your running a 'High tech' co2 injected setup, then frequent heavy water changes are a must, because of plant waste and the constant availability of co2.

Im in the planning stage to convert is tank this EI dosed Co2 tank and 50% water changes every week frankly scare me. That's 9 of my 10 litre buckets in and out, not to mention the cost of the 3kW kettle to heat up all that water.

Thanks guys.

Think the op is going hi-tech

Hose pipe straight in, slower in the winter. Every single MA shop does their water changes straight off the mains other than the marine and soft water systems but will tell you that you need to use dechlorinator lol.

I have never used it in over 10 years of standard freshwater from general community to central and south american cichlids to malawi's and never had any problems because of it.

If its low tech, large frequent water changes are actually worse for it. Causing co2 to be removed, which will have a negative impact on plants.

I thought mains tap water actually has higher CO2 concentration than most aquariums, because it's under pressure. That's part of why an aquarium often pearls when you change the water - both O2 and CO2 are at saturation point as the water comes under lower pressure and so gasify. So effectively every war change turns a low tech tank into a high tech one for 45 mins... Which is great for plants.

On dechlorinator, I stopped using it ages ago and haven't noticed a difference with London tap straight in. Imagine is better with a combi boiler than a house with a hot water storage tank though - some nasty stuff in those tanks.

Imagine is better with a combi boiler than a house with a hot water storage tank though - some nasty stuff in those tanks.
My thoughts too. I have an ancient hot water tank and dread to think what is in there so fill with mains cold and lots of boiled water.

If you pay attention to the diagram there is a cold and hot tap connected so that you can adjust the temp into the shower before pumping it back to the tank, just place a tank thermometer under the running water till you get it right ;) usually I don't bother with that too much. If you are worried you can mix the dechlorinator as you are pumping the water back into the tank.

London Dragon,

Now that I have got my 400 liter tank up and running I have been reviewing threads on water changes, especially 50% water changes. 200 litres of new water is a lot, obviously just using the cold tap this is going to drop the temperature considerable causing all kinds of stress and hassle for the plants and the fish, and then me if the fish kark it.

Am I right in thinking it is okay if you have got a mixer tap in your kitchen you can adjust the water temperature with a mixture of hot and cold water so as not to cause the temperature in the tank to plummet; and the use of hot water will not harm the plants or fish. I have a combination boiler which heats the water instantly as opposed to being held in an immersion heater storage tank.

Thanks,

Steve

Back