• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

How decent is the Fluval LED light that comes with the 200L tank?

Muso1981

Thanks @oreo57 that's quite an analysis there but I couldn't see anything specifically about my 12.5 watt led light. I haven't bought the plant light yet and don't think I will now. If I do get a new light I think it would make sense to get another one the same as what I've got so it would be doubling the power, spread the light out, a lot cheaper than that plant light.

oreo57

Thanks @oreo57 that's quite an analysis there but I couldn't see anything specifically about my 12.5 watt led light. I haven't bought the plant light yet and don't think I will now. If I do get a new light I think it would make sense to get another one the same as what I've got so it would be doubling the power, spread the light out, a lot cheaper than that plant light.
12.5 par at 18" assuming around a 80-100cm led light.

Lets look at a weaker light. Beamswork EA.
30" ea is 11-15 par at 18"..

The BeamsWork EA FSPEC LED 60cm - 24" features 27x 0.50W
13 .5w
36"
Includes 42 LEDs
2000 Lumen
Energy efficient 0.50 watt LEDs
21w

30" would be between the 2 in est wattage
About 17w @ 1par/watt @18".

Last edited:

John q

Anyone care to add 18" par measurements 48" light vs wattage of their fixtures "we" could confirm or refute this.
The 1.2~1.3 par to watt ratio isn't that far out with the fluval aquasky 2 light. 1150mm length, 33w.
Here's fluvals claimed readings.
20210429_203416.jpg

oreo57

The 1.2~1.3 par to watt ratio isn't that far out with the fluval aquasky 2 light. 1150mm length, 33w.
Here's fluvals claimed readings.
View attachment 168085
Thanks.

33 at 1PAR/watt or 44 as listed... Difference is generally unimportant.
Found this support:
wpg.JPG

The 2:1 Watts vs par of t5's vs led is pretty well documented though I "lean" more to 1.5:1. Safety factor.
3:1 is err extreme.
THIS is so one doesn't make MAJOR mistakes not a fine tuning.
Helps those that want to replace t5's w/ LEDs.

Last edited:

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Well, there are no such things as high light plants. Also that has always been a misleading metric and that's why we spend most of our time sorting out algae problems.
A more achievable rule of thumb is as follows:
Do not exceed 30-40 umoles as measured at the substrate - assuming flow/distribution and CO2 levels are adequate.
This will keep most out of trouble from a light intensity aspect.
This is the same regardless of the type of light fixture.

Cheers,

Muso1981

12.5 par at 18" assuming around a 80-100cm led light.

Thanks Oreo, based on this I don't have enough light. I actually contacted Fluval today about the existing light and they said I would need at least 2 of the stock lights to provide the power I was getting out of the juwel T5s which were fine in the old tank.

So I'm thinking I will get the plant 3.0 light which I can dim if it's too much and sell the existing one. It should be plenty for my needs.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread, I've learned so much. 😃👍

Last edited: