• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how can drop checker be accurate?

master3z

When c02 is injected into the aquarium
water above its normal level the c02
will escape (outgas) up into the drop
checker where gases exchange will take
place. When this happens the c02 gas
will be absorbed by the indicator solution and lower the pH of the
solution giving the colors

So the theory of the drop checker is as mentioned above.according to me a drop checker measures the co2 (Diffused) in the water
My question is,if we using glass diffuser there will be a lot of mist in the aquarium water, and the tiny bubbles may enter the drop checker, and how will this tell us the amount of co2 diffused in the water? It will not be acurate..
Can someone explain,am lost

Yes, your right. The DC measures dissolved CO2. It cannot measure bubbles unless those bubbles enter the chamber and dissolve in the samples water.

Cheers,

if so then it must better to put it in a place in the tank where there is minimum to no mist?

Hi,
A better solution is to simply not worry about it. The dropchecker is a guide Neo. It can show you the path. It gives you a general indication of what's going on but, like a piece of a jigsaw puzzle, it cannot show you the whole picture. All the pieces must be put together to reveal the total image. For the rest of the puzzle you have to look at the plants and your fish. No matter where you place the DC it can only tell you a part of the story. As long as you are using a 4dKH distilled water in the sample and as long as the color is lime green at lights on then this is about as accurate as it can ever get, and even so, it is only about 10% accurate at best. If you're going to use a DC use it in the best way possible, but don't spend any more energy than necessary on it and do not allow it to hypnotize you. It's just another test kit.

Cheers,

Hmm, this is a good question and I suspect you are right Clive. I've recently changed from an inline reactor to an UP atomiser. My DC is verging on the yellow. However, my bubble count is down dramatically. AND I'm seeing pinholes in new leaves. I assume the mist from the UP is getting into the DC and turning it yellow? That I should get my bubble count up (gradually of course)?

I have established after years of using DC that when any kind of diffusers are used in the tank the DC readings are quite inaccurate. The mist seem to affect the DC readings considerably.
I changed all diffusers with CO2 external reactors and the reading got finally correct.
Obviously it was impossible to know what's right and what's wrong until I have purchased electronic laboratory PH meter that does not get influenced by Amazonia AS as most aquatic PH computers do.
The PH measurements were showing clearly that while the DC was turning yellow the CO2 was still low.
There was no place where the mist would not get to it.

So down to the question at hand.

DC can not be and it is not an accurate way to measure CO2 levels, but it is a useful indicator that can help avoid disasters. It can give some warning when things are not right.
The use of CO2 reactors definitely improves the accuracy of DC readings.

I do not use DC anymore. Only PH probe and a bubble counter.

Back