• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

home made water purifier

Yeah I'd wondered how that'd work, dennerle are pushing a shrimp specific one that binds heavy metals but I just imagined that since others already claim the same it couldn't be much different. How long would it take to bind do you imagine? From the tap levels will be high and no reaction is instant.

Hi all,
dennerle are pushing a shrimp specific one that binds heavy metals but I just imagined that since others already claim the same it couldn't be much different. How long would it take to bind do you imagine? From the tap levels will be high and no reaction is instant.
You would need to add the de-chlorinator (with EDTA or similar chelating agent) to the tap water some time before it went into the tank (24 hours would make absolutely sure). Copper (Cu) is tightly bound to the EDTA molecule (in a 1:1 molecule ratio), more tightly bound than most other cations, but not as tightly as iron (Fe3+), which will displace it.

Have a look here if that isn't clear: <http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/edta/edtah.htm>

I'd try experimenting with a few red cherry shrimps and a planted tank with plenty of bog wood and/or alder cones and dead oak leaves. You may find that these create enough humic acids and DOC in the water to bind the copper ions. If they are present in suitable amounts they will tint the water, I like tannin stained water but I realise it is not to everyone's taste.

If that doesn't work I'd try EDTA. You can buy the readily available sodium EDTA, as all the other cations will displace Na+ ions. You can buy a 100g of "EDTA Tetrasodium salt dihydrate"" for about £6, and that would last almost eternally.

cheers Darrel

Back